House Price Crash Forum

Times And Sunday Times Reveal Online Reader Figures

darwin

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11671984

Publishers of the Times and Sunday Times have revealed for the first time how many people are paying to read their
newspapers online or on mobiles.
They say
105,000 customers have so far paid to go behind the papers' paywall
A further 100,000 people have a joint subscription to read the newspapers digitally and in print, the papers add.
The figures have been eagerly awaited by publishers and advertisers since the two papers went behind an online paywall four months
ago.

Pure comedy. :lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

there are probably about 100,000 political advisers and "reporters" that need to see what the times is saying everyday.

the public?....

good point well made, 100K is fck all when you take out all the subscriptions through company expenses for those requiring access for work, you are probably left with 2 public subscribers called Mick and Bob

HOLA449
HOLA4410

As many have pointed out, a substantial number of this 100,000 will be PR dollies (globally), politicos and their bag carriers, academia and god knows how many public sector institutions. I wonder how many real, private sector sector punters are left.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

These figures are meaningless. They need to give a breakdown of the numbers. Total revenue generated from on-line subscriptions would be far more useful. I doubt we will get that. Does anyone really trust newscorp to give accurate data out.

HOLA4413

These figures are meaningless. They need to give a breakdown of the numbers. Total revenue generated from on-line subscriptions would be far more useful. I doubt we will get that. Does anyone really trust newscorp to give accurate data out.

In my experience you tend to push out data like this when you feel like it's enviably strong and will resonate with punters and rivals. You don't put out inaccurate data that surprises to the downside anyway. I therefore conclude that they think this is good!

HOLA4414

If its still going in 5 years and the shares are returning fortunes, we shall know.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

They do say that half the 100k are people who have paid £1 for 1 days access, with the rest being online subscribers or people paying for access on an iPad. Thus, they've had fewer than 50,000 people take out a one month subscription.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I listened to this first thing.

A tiny readership that they didn't say were regular subscribers or just number of purchases...

and then they said that the guaduan and other online papers make about £20M each a year from the online advertising.

If they contine the pay model then they are doomed.

Seriously so.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The number of subscribers does not give anywhere near the whole picture. I would not be quite so quick to write it off as a failure (although I don't believe its the right way to go). There are lots of dynamics in a web business about the revenue streams. If the Timesonline can build the number of subscribers, then those subscribers are probably worth many times each what a non paying reader of the news is worth to advertisers as they have already been filtered out as people that will pay for something (ignoring those that are on work subscriptions), and the revenue alone from the subscriptions would be equivalent to a pretty meaty ad revenue.

It will be intresting to see what happens, but I think that the experience of the film and music industry should be telling them that with ctrl c and ctrl v, paying for online content is a niche market.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

A friend's brother writes for The Times - most of the journos are thoroughly pissed off about this - people just aren't reading their stuff, and that to an egotistical journo is a big downer. I wonder if it will affect their ability to retaiin/recruit staff.

Having said that, now I've got a Kindle I have it download several newspapers (I don't like to read just one biased newspaper) from the web every morning and it costs me nowt and doesn't include ads - they really are going to have to do something.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

A friend's brother writes for The Times - most of the journos are thoroughly pissed off about this - people just aren't reading their stuff, and that to an egotistical journo is a big downer. I wonder if it will affect their ability to retaiin/recruit staff.

Having said that, now I've got a Kindle I have it download several newspapers (I don't like to read just one biased newspaper) from the web every morning and it costs me nowt and doesn't include ads - they really are going to have to do something.

If people aren't reading your stuff, then you are not relevant anymore. It wouldn't be surprising if the staff did want to move on.

They've completely pulled the rug out from underneath themselves. That's quite a feat, really.

Archived