House Price Crash Forum
Flying Dutchman

Morrisons To Hire 1,000 Homeless People.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8100688/Morrisons-to-hire-1000-homeless-people.html?utm_source=tmg&utm_medium=TD_8100688&utm_campaign=finance0211am

The supermarket chain has decided to give 10pc of its new jobs to “vulnerable” people – including some who are battling addictions.

Morrisons, the fourth biggest supermarket in the UK, is planning to roll out a raft of new stores and create more than 10,000 jobs.

Morrisons said yesterday that its management “believes by investing in individuals from all backgrounds and experiences, including those who need a hand-up rather than a hand-out, it can gain the most loyal and hard-working employees”.

OK, so does this suggest that these "vulnerable" people should be grateful to be given the opportunity of a "hand-up" and therefore won't mind if they are paid less than NMW.

Perhaps, these "vulnerable" people will be "vulnerable" to exploitation by large multi-nationals wanting cheap labour?

FD

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8100688/Morrisons-to-hire-1000-homeless-people.html?utm_source=tmg&utm_medium=TD_8100688&utm_campaign=finance0211am

OK, so does this suggest that these "vulnerable" people should be grateful to be given the opportunity of a "hand-up" and therefore won't mind if they are paid less than NMW.

Perhaps, these "vulnerable" people will be "vulnerable" to exploitation by large multi-nationals wanting cheap labour?

FD

Lets hope as many of these people grab this opportunity with both hands and make the most of it.

The only worry I have is that this group of people, those working close to the NMW, seem to be the ones who bear the greatest burdens. They always seem to have the hardest of work, with the least pay, and little in the way of access to benefits. They should be one step ahead of those not working, the first step up if you like. For many in this position, claiming benefits and a council house is a step up from where they are, which is wrong.

A citizens income appears to me the only way in which we can sort this basic problem out.

That aside, good luck to Morrison's. The more people we have making a contribution through work, the better for the nation. Work must reward those who do the work. Make it so.

good for Morrisons.

lets hope they install some showers.

Exactly. Wouldn't buy meat at Morrisons anyway, but even less chance if it's handed over the counter by an unshaven, dirty nailed down and out, stinking of B&H and Castlemine XXXX. Perhaps I'm being too M&S, but I think this is a PR own goal.

A large number of the homeless have mental problems. They will not be able to hold down any job. Morrisons will have the problem of having to separate those who are just down on their luck from those that will growl at customers and shit on the fresh fruit.

Anyone who buys a house they can't afford to buy has mental problems.

hmm...thats means the lender has issues too....but, they are too "special" to fail.

They won't let them into the aisles will they?

thats where they find them...DOH!

I wholeheartedly applaud Morrisons on this initiative. A very brave decision. Good on them.

There is nothing of greater value than giving someone hope where previously there was none.

(I'll leave it to others to point out any pitfalls and contradictions whilst I try and take this act at face value)

Nice post.

"Morrisons, the fourth biggest supermarket in the UK, is planning to roll out a raft of new stores and create more than 10,000 jobs. "

I see.

So they're going to build more stores where?

"Morrisons claims to operate the biggest supermarket apprenticeship scheme in the UK, and it aims to train 100,000 employees with basic qualifications by 2011 – from shop floor staff to cleaners. Last month, the company also said it would fund 20 undergraduates through a salaried three-year degree course in food manufacturing at Bradford University. "

I think you have to train them with a basic health and hygeine certificate don't you? The "wash your hands, where is the sink" test?

They're taking on some christmas staff extras at the local store but not many. And it won't bring the numbers up to the levels they've had in previous years. The guy who runs the veg bit compains that they're overworked - but he has a few months off when he has his heart attack last year ...

There is nothing of greater value than giving someone hope where previously there was none.

Sounds likean extract from one of Thatchers speeches

I used to work for Ken Morrison in the distribution network up to 4 years ago when he made me redundant. (Was part of the Safeway merger being employed at a Safeway site which was dispensed with).

In common with Mr Monk who posts about these parts our jobs were re located to the East Midlands (from the South East) and given in the main to Eastern European labour on less wages than we were earning.

I have seen how the backrooms operate in their stores and although I won't go into detail except to say they think a coldchain is to hold a freezer door shut I would never choose to shop there.

Ken Morrison (mega control freak) does not have day to day control of the Company these days after the shareholders forced him to step down after the first parts of the Safeway merger went tits up. As he and his family hold the majority shareholding you can be sure he is very close to the ear of the Chief Exec.

This is simply a publicity stunt, and whatever people from these areas he does employ you can get your bottom $ they will be on temporary contracts. To give them permanent would oblige Morrisons to offer them employment protection which they will not want to do.

Its easy to sack a temp when they don't make the grade. Try doing that to a person on the perm contract after a years service.

I used to work for Ken Morrison in the distribution network up to 4 years ago when he made me redundant. (Was part of the Safeway merger being employed at a Safeway site which was dispensed with).

In common with Mr Monk who posts about these parts our jobs were re located to the East Midlands (from the South East) and given in the main to Eastern European labour on less wages than we were earning.

I have seen how the backrooms operate in their stores and although I won't go into detail except to say they think a coldchain is to hold a freezer door shut I would never choose to shop there.

Ken Morrison (mega control freak) does not have day to day control of the Company these days after the shareholders forced him to step down after the first parts of the Safeway merger went tits up. As he and his family hold the majority shareholding you can be sure he is very close to the ear of the Chief Exec.

This is simply a publicity stunt, and whatever people from these areas he does employ you can get your bottom $ they will be on temporary contracts. To give them permanent would oblige Morrisons to offer them employment protection which they will not want to do.

Its easy to sack a temp when they don't make the grade. Try doing that to a person on the perm contract after a years service.

Funny PR stunt. The fact there's homeless people working somewhere wouldn't entice me to go rushing through their doors.

Why don't Morrisons go the whole way and house their workers?

Each time they build a new store they could build a few blocks of flats. If they let their workers live there on a subsidised rent, there would be a mass exodus of the best shelf stackers from such as Asda & Tesco.

Each time they build a new store they could build a few blocks of flats. If they let their workers live there on a subsidised rent, there would be a mass exodus of the best shelf stackers from such as Asda & Tesco.

It's not as stupid as you think. Supermarkets are normally single floor buildings but very tall so they stand out and look impressive. Plenty of room to put a floor or 2 above. From the outside few people would even be able to tell.

I should also add that most homeless people are technically more wealthy than many people who have a roof over their heads.

Many people, especially young people, have a significant negative wealth, owing tens of thousands more than the value of the assets they hold. Few homeless people have large debts.

All very admirable when you don't dig beneath the surface. I wonder if it's linked to the government's stance on welfare and work and the need to get people who are vulnerable (a.k.a mental illness) back to work and off invalidity benefit?

Perhaps they could use their carparks as cardboard cities overnight to ease the burden on the local housing stock. NWM is all very well but if it won't buy you / rent you a place of your own, why bother?

Will Morrisons' creation of 10,000 jobs actually cause a net increase in jobs, or will it be counteracted by all the small shops which will be put out of business as a result of a supermarket opening nearby?

To be frank, taking the decision to employ homeless people is a brave one and it makes sense for the company to position themselves so they can easily get rid of those who aren't up to it. This isn't corporate bully-boy tactics, it's risk mitigation when doing something as risky as employing people with serious issues. They are a business at the end of the day.

There will be some homeless people who seize this opportunity and work there way to a better situation and they (and Morrisons) are to be appluaded for this. There will be some who throw away the chance as they have so often before, to end up homeless in the first place.

I too wholeheartedly applaud Morrisons for doing this, and I'll shop there more frequently as a result.

Everybody should have another chance. People make mistakes. Sometimes luck goes against them. I'm sure that Morrisons will find it a rewarding experience.

I also wonder if this has some connection to benefits cutbacks? That corporations are going to implement these policies...

I can foresee widescale pilfering of cardboard boxes.

The article says nothing about paying less than the NMW, and to do so would be illegal. So your question is a pointless non-sequiteur.