House Price Crash Forum

Did You Turn Up To Work Today And Found Out It Was Deserted?

200p

HOLA441
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

If you look after something it will look after you....seriously, if I were looking for a removal firm or even looking for a heating engineer, if their van or truck was dirty and unkempt how would I think their quality and excellence of service be?....just a thought. ;)

Or they are really good and busy with not enough time to clean the van.

HOLA443

From TruckNet.

I work for boyes or should i say worked for boyes and i can tell you the writing was on the wall for a while.

It all started in July when my vehicle i tramped in got reposesed because of unpaid finance ( we were always told the vehicles were brought out right!)and we all knew then that something wasn't right' date=' then the takeover buy tinnelly transport, maintence started to suffer becuase they wouldn't pay for parts,

We had a contract with a local tyre company that was never paid so subseqently they replaced all the quality tyres we had on the units with crap, and if tyres were getting low they would change wheels over form units that were hardly used or gonna be sold.

It's a shame because before all the crap started they were a great company to work for, everyone got on, the office staff where all a great crack, and would never be on your back, you could leave on a monday morning and not speak to them till thursday for either reloads or just to see if everything was ok. plus all of the lorries were well maintaned and always looked after.

I am owed near enough 1200 quid after tax in wages :( and my personal opinon is i'm gonna have to go to the small claims court to get it.

Today was a sad day for myself saying goodbye to alot of guys that have literaly taught me everything i know to do with the industry, and to a company who took me on with no experince and gave me a new vehicle within months of passing my test. But all these things happen for a reason and today starts a new chapter in my life. :([/quote']

HOLA444

I have noticed more 'layby' VOSA inspections recently than during the good times.

Also when taking them to the VOSA test centre for 'plating' they have to be clean.

I would say the opposite. I don't think we've had so many trucks pulled in by VOSA since the recession.

However, they're getting smarter and targeting operators with low compliance or a lot of test failures rather than random pull ins to weighbridges.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I would say the opposite. I don't think we've had so many trucks pulled in by VOSA since the recession.

However, they're getting smarter and targeting operators with low compliance or a lot of test failures rather than random pull ins to weighbridges.

There is a specific parking 'layby' close, and the inspection frequency has definitely increased. It's not one of the specific test sites like seen on the motorways.

I have not been stopped when passing however.

HOLA447

From TruckNet.

All sounds pretty typical.

The not speaking to the traffic office for four days might have been good because they're out of the drivers hair but does sound like it might be a but of a red flag it wasn't as tight a ship as it could to be.

Having said that, we used to use a pretty big local firm for traction occasionally. They went t1ts up and they had a big contract trunking for a well known parcel courier so another firm took on the parcel contract and they went bust as well. Basically, a few months back the third hauliers to have the contract also went bust which suggests the contract, albeit big, is just unprofitable.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

HOLA448

The general experience of truck drivers is that VOSA has changed from a Government enforcement agency to a wheelclamp-type organisation obsessed with raising fines.

You may find discussion about this on Google.

HOLA449

The general experience of truck drivers is that VOSA has changed from a Government enforcement agency to a wheelclamp-type organisation obsessed with raising fines.

You may find discussion about this on Google.

If I was in government I'd probably replace the annual test with four quarterly ones and disband VOSA entirely and leave tacho checks to traffic police - assuming I didn't repeal tacho laws. Local councils could be left to pre-approve any industrual premises as an operating centre.

VOSA send me some stupid newspaper affair full of stories about how their staff have been on an exchange trip with Turkish counterparts and other such annoying sh1te. They've started sending it by email now so I don't bother to irritate myself by reading it at all which I guess would be the same for everybody else.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I also thought this was a story about clocks not going back and people turning up for work an hour early. Then I realised this is 2010 not 1985 when that kind of thing wasn't automated.

Edited by pl1

HOLA4412

If I was in government I'd probably replace the annual test with four quarterly ones and disband VOSA entirely and leave tacho checks to traffic police - assuming I didn't repeal tacho laws. Local councils could be left to pre-approve any industrual premises as an operating centre.

Yes, but it doesn't matter what you or I would do if the Bulgarian and Romanian trucks operating here are not required to comply with that law. You see them every day on the hard shoulder of the motorway, having just sideswiped a car.

"Cheaper to use but more dangerous" would be my conclusion.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Why?

Isn't the yearly frequency not frequent enough? It is for me.

The tests aren't that much hassle and can be integrated with driver's normal work/routes. By seeing trucks every quarter there'd be far, far less risk of dangerous lorries being on the road for any significant period of time.

The mandatory safety inspections we have to do could also be abandoned as could VOSA visits to workshops and premises etc.

HOLA4415

Yes, but it doesn't matter what you or I would do if the Bulgarian and Romanian trucks operating here are not required to comply with that law. You see them every day on the hard shoulder of the motorway, having just sideswiped a car.

"Cheaper to use but more dangerous" would be my conclusion.

I wouldn't be surprised if post-Lisbon treaty even if you were in government you would no longer have the power to do anything about it.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The tests aren't that much hassle and can be integrated with driver's normal work/routes. By seeing trucks every quarter there'd be far, far less risk of dangerous lorries being on the road for any significant period of time.

I can see your logic. But it wouldn't be that practical with the current network of test centres, nor for private 7.5 tonne/HGV owners going out of their way every 3 months just to get tested.

HOLA4418

I can see your logic. But it wouldn't be that practical with the current network of test centres, nor for private 7.5 tonne/HGV owners going out of their way every 3 months just to get tested.

Surely it would be cheaper to have the lorry drivers boiled down and rendered, they could become dog food? ;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The "VOSA" inspections are often "Multi agency" .. I got pulled on the M27 a fortnight ago .. in the Landrover .. It was a bit of a shock to be pulled into the services with wall to wall trucks ..

It is targeted Via ANPR I was directed to some lovely customs ladies who dipped the fuel tank. They are getting much much cleverer .. I got pulled because I bought 1000 litres of red diesel and (as I understand it ) the oil company passes on the address of all buyers of red diesel .. so any vehicle registered there is an instant pull for Customs ..

They are VERY VERY polite .. My guess being that it might be slightly dodgy legally ..

Obviously it was not a problem for me .. on the basis that I like to sleep well at night ..

HOLA4421

Surely it would be cheaper to have the lorry drivers boiled down and rendered, they could become dog food? ;)

That is certainly an excellent option.

3 monthly tests would put a strain on the middle/upper classes taking their horseboxes to the test centre.

That way we won't miss any of the Hunt Meets, and can feed the lower classes to the dogs.

HOLA4422

3 monthly tests would put a strain on the middle/upper classes taking their horseboxes to the test centre.

That way we won't miss any of the Hunt Meets, and can feed the lower classes to the dogs.

The trouble is that the majority of us have been your age before and can visualise you in your bed-sit. ;)

HOLA4423

Horsebox owners would still have to take it to a third party maintenance workshop every, probably 8 weeks, for the mandatory safety inspections. The cost/hassle of this is probably no more/less than a trip to the test centre.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Horsebox owners would still have to take it to a third party maintenance workshop every, probably 8 weeks, for the mandatory safety inspections. The cost/hassle of this is probably no more/less than a trip to the test centre.

not 100% sure about that .. There are three on the yard and I think someone comes out out and looks at them ..

The **** has fallen out of the Horsebox market however ..