House Price Crash Forum
LuckyOne

They Do Still Make Me Laugh Sometimes ......

After having given up on looking at homes to buy in the last 18 months or so, I am starting to look at the market a bit more closely again.

From the way that I have seen this market behave, a search and negotiation can take up to a year so I am starting to do a bit of work again.

An EA asked me to-day whether I had something to sell (I don't) or whether I was an unencumbered purchaser. I love it when EAs try to use big words which don't meant quite what they thought that they mean. I was especially amused by the logical extension that anyone who owns a house is encumbered, no matter how it is financed. Some gems do come from the mouths of fools :

Encumber (verb) :

- To impede or hinder; hamper; retard

- To block up of fill with what is obstructive or superfluous

- To burden or weigh down

- To burden with obligations, debt etc

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/encumbered

After having given up on looking at homes to buy in the last 18 months or so, I am starting to look at the market a bit more closely again.

From the way that I have seen this market behave, a search and negotiation can take up to a year so I am starting to do a bit of work again.

An EA asked me to-day whether I had something to sell (I don't) or whether I was an unencumbered purchaser. I love it when EAs try to use big words which don't meant quite what they thought that they mean. I was especially amused by the logical extension that anyone who owns a house is encumbered, no matter how it is financed. Some gems do come from the mouths of fools :

Encumber (verb) :

- To impede or hinder; hamper; retard

- To block up of fill with what is obstructive or superfluous

- To burden or weigh down

- To burden with obligations, debt etc

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/encumbered

+1 ... truly a gem.

And to think that I should be feeling guilty that I am not encumbered ...

+1 ... truly a gem.

And to think that I should be feeling guilty that I am not encumbered ...

I really do hope that she tries to use the word endowed at some stage .....

I can imagine people using it as a replacement for 'solvent' in the personal columns:

"Bubbly female GSOH WLTM unencumbered male"

I think that the two might become synonyms before this is all over.

It's a fair question to ask whether your prospective purchase is encumbered (by the need to liquidate an illiquid asset to finance it). Since you paraphrased the EA's question, I'll infer that's what he/she meant, and quite probably also said. Yesno?

It's a fair question to ask whether your prospective purchase is encumbered (by the need to liquidate an illiquid asset to finance it). Since you paraphrased the EA's question, I'll infer that's what he/she meant, and quite probably also said. Yesno?

English is not my first language but I would interpret an encumbered buyer of a new house as someone who owns part of a house and has a mortgage against the rest of its value that they need to discharge before they can buy another house.

More broadly, I enjoyed the idea that any owner (whether in whole or in part) of a house is encumbered. I might buy a house in the UK in the next year or so. I fully understand the idea that owning a house results in encumberment no matter how it is financed and immediately add the cost of the encumberment to the cash purchase price when considering value.

It is not that different to buying a new car that immediately depreciates by 25% or more the second one drives it off the forecourt.

TheMaskedTulip had a thread a while ago about foodstuffs and EAs, quite amusing, kept wandering into the EA's office for a chat carrying a different bag of groceries each time, will have to suggest he goes for a cucumber next time...

English is not my first language but I would interpret an encumbered buyer of a new house as someone who owns part of a house and has a mortgage against the rest of its value that they need to discharge before they can buy another house.

More broadly, I enjoyed the idea that any owner (whether in whole or in part) of a house is encumbered. I might buy a house in the UK in the next year or so. I fully understand the idea that owning a house results in encumberment no matter how it is financed and immediately add the cost of the encumberment to the cash purchase price when considering value.

It is not that different to buying a new car that immediately depreciates by 25% or more the second one drives it off the forecourt.

The encumbered you refer to is just talking about the chain, the agents love a quick sale for cash in their pocket.

Pity you're financially worse off that some one with a house to sell though..... they are not so encumbered with the readies