House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Barratt (Bdev) Shutting Down Building Sites?

I found this site a few weeks back that is kind of a forum for debating share prices. I noticed, with HPC interest, that on the various share prices of UK builders' forums that there are a number of builders who do work for these companies are posting.

Just found this on the BDEV forum - appears that BDEV are shutting down some of their building sites:

http://www.lse.co.uk/shareprice.asp?shareprice=bdev

thought we were thru the worst but these bad boys are beginning to shut sites wouldnt mind but most of us(mates) are stuck in here at 115 which is bad enough , but looks like we could be heading for the dole que as well, not panicking yet but would like some good info. cheers gla

The 115 refers to the price that BDEV were purchased at I guess.

Stick the following phrase into google for some FT background:

Uncertainty hangs over uk housebuilders

Stick the following phrase into google for some FT background:

Interesting article - the bit about the banks recommending clients to buy builder shares is very interesting bearing in mind the price of these has continued to fall.

I can only assume that the advice of the banks is being ignored.

i would take the information on that site with a pinch of salt.

i found that site along time ago, and have followed the comments for a few companies including the one i work for. (Not Bdev, or any of the banks, house builders, retialers etc)

over the years i've seen the sh!t they spout (and some posters on there are accross alot of other companies comments) is amazing.

one guy kept saying about one office in our business (he had inside information from the highest source possible) that its going ot shut, and the office director is skimming money, that we lost all future work in a certain sector due to laws changing, etc. i know the people in that office, and i showed them the posts, they were annoyed with what was said, the director went to the admins of the site to get the comments removed, and they refused stating free speach blah blah blah,

there was no truth behind these comments, there was lots more from a host of posters, and i followed their comments from company to company they post on, and they are all negative/slanderous/pure lies.

Interesting article - the bit about the banks recommending clients to buy builder shares is very interesting bearing in mind the price of these has continued to fall.

I can only assume that the advice of the banks is being ignored.

Somebody must still be buying otherwise the price would be zero.

I won't be buying any until the average house is about 100k.

i would take the information on that site with a pinch of salt.

i found that site along time ago, and have followed the comments for a few companies including the one i work for. (Not Bdev, or any of the banks, house builders, retialers etc)

over the years i've seen the sh!t they spout (and some posters on there are accross alot of other companies comments) is amazing.

one guy kept saying about one office in our business (he had inside information from the highest source possible) that its going ot shut, and the office director is skimming money, that we lost all future work in a certain sector due to laws changing, etc. i know the people in that office, and i showed them the posts, they were annoyed with what was said, the director went to the admins of the site to get the comments removed, and they refused stating free speach blah blah blah,

there was no truth behind these comments, there was lots more from a host of posters, and i followed their comments from company to company they post on, and they are all negative/slanderous/pure lies.

I started to read this but found my eyes strnagely drawn to the left towards your avatar. Then I thought of Hilary Clinton for some bizarre reason and now I have no idea what you wrote.

I've been expecting sites to start shutting again for a few months. New builds near me that completed in 08 are mostly unsold. With reduced asking prices.

There was an interested chart from last months RICS chartbook that showed factors preventing new residential building projects. The main factor was overwhelmingly lack of demand. With other factors such as lack of land, planning issues etc barely registering.

I started to read this but found my eyes strnagely drawn to the left towards your avatar. Then I thought of Hilary Clinton for some bizarre reason and now I have no idea what you wrote.

Thanks for quoting his post I've managed to concentrate on it now.

Hilary Clinton? Really?

I've been expecting sites to start shutting again for a few months. New builds near me that completed in 08 are mostly unsold. With reduced asking prices.
Some big builders will try to build their way through the recession, on the basis that sites they start now won't have their first houses complete for 18 months to 2 years, by which time the market will probably have picked up.

I was told this about 2 years ago by a manager from property developer which was embarking on developing a major site - from which they''ve recently pulled out without building anything :lol:

Edited by blankster

Some big builders will try to build their way through the recession, on the basis that sites they start now won't have their first houses complete for 18 months to 2 years, by which time the market will probably have picked up.

I was told this about 2 years ago by a manager from property developer which was embarking on developing a major site - from which they''ve recently pulled out without building anything :lol:

TW started work on a prime development site near me about 3 weeks ago after it sitting empty for several years - it had changed hands several times, IIRC, betwene various builders.

bdev.jpg

Beautiful blowoff in 2006.

So long as the 50 period moving average is belowt the 200 period average, stay away! It could be sometime before there is another property boom.