House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Cargo Not Secure - So Buy British?

If they have to start opening every printer and getting a sniffer dog inside then surely the days of importing stuff are over?

OK they'll have to find a way for dealing with air freight but surely the message is "buy british"? :-?

If they have to start opening every printer and getting a sniffer dog inside then surely the days of importing stuff are over?

OK they'll have to find a way for dealing with air freight but surely the message is "buy british"? :-?

Or bring it by ship of course.Just why was that synagogue in such a hurry for a Yemeni printer?

Hmm. That really limits my options to something that isn't electrical and also insanely expensive.

I thought the issue was that the printer was part of a case/box sent to the US by cargo under a student's name?

A hellova lot of EU and international students use cargo services to send their stuff to colleges abroad as cargo prices are a lot less than passenger excess baggage costs. When I left my last European teaching job, I booked two cases into cargo to transport my books, and, weirdly, my printer :blink:, back to Blighty (it was cheaper to send things in cargo than buy new in Britain by a long way). I think those cases travelled on passenger flights.

I got the feeling that these two bombs was sent using a similar process, claiming to be a similar sort of situation, except they were booked cargo through UPS and Fedex. This is possibly why one of the printers was sent in a box that contained other studenty-type stuff, like clothes and books and "funny gitbits from home".

Also .... does anyone else think that if this carries on, people will begin to really limit their air travel? Hijack or sucicide bombing is one thing, but the idea that anything could be in the hold, sent from anywhere to anywhere, is quite another.

Edited by dissident junk

:lol:

This morning on ITV, I watched a security expert (?) being interviewed on the matter. She said "Well, what this means is that we'll have to find a way to pat people down a little differently".

WTF? This explosive was inside a printer that was inside a box that was inside a cargo hold. What is 'patting people down a little differently' going to achieve?

:blink:

Edited by Toto deVeer

This morning on ITV, I watched a security expert (?) being interviewed on the matter. She said "Well, what this means is that we'll have to find a way to pat people down a little differently".

WTF? This explosive was inside a printer that was inside a box that was inside a cargo hold. What is 'patting people down a little differently' going to achieve?

:huh:

That reminds me of the skit that French and Saunders used to do around 1990 where the same 'expert' would be invited on breakfast TV to discuss various topics she had no clue about.

That reminds me of the skit that French and Saunders used to do around 1990 where the same 'expert' would be invited on breakfast TV to discuss various topics she had no clue about.

Realistic though.

And it's a bit Catherine Tate and the "I Can Do That Woman" as well