House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hedgefunded

"mumsnet Economics"

I posted this phrase on another thread, but I'd like to offer it to HPC and the world.

To me, "Mumsnet Economics" is a mindset that cannot see wood for trees but believes a few twigs will add £10k.

It's the kind of economics that wants 10% off of the new place as "They're asking silly money", but refuses to drop £1 on the place they bought in 2007.

Mumsnet Economics means that a shiny 4x4 is a good investment, but renting is always dead money.

Of course, this is a play on Voodoo Economics, and as an uneducated fellow, I only learned that from Ferris Bueller.

How about Lorealism? - Because I'm worth it.

Like it - very good

how about....

"Maybe it's Makebelieve"

I posted this phrase on another thread, but I'd like to offer it to HPC and the world.

To me, "Mumsnet Economics" is a mindset that cannot see wood for trees but believes a few twigs will add £10k.

It's the kind of economics that wants 10% off of the new place as "They're asking silly money", but refuses to drop £1 on the place they bought in 2007.

Mumsnet Economics means that a shiny 4x4 is a good investment, but renting is always dead money.

Of course, this is a play on Voodoo Economics, and as an uneducated fellow, I only learned that from Ferris Bueller.

Seeing this all the time on MSE!

MSEconomics?

No, I'm sticking with Mumsnet Economics. It's valid because of the parallel with Voodoo Economics. It's also suitably insulting, leaves the reader in no doubt about the meaning and hopefully it will find it's way over to those lovely Mums at Mumsnet.

I shall make sure I use it in conversation every day.

I do like some of the other ones too.

No, I'm sticking with Mumsnet Economics. It's valid because of the parallel with Voodoo Economics. It's also suitably insulting, leaves the reader in no doubt about the meaning and hopefully it will find it's way over to those lovely Mums at Mumsnet.

I shall make sure I use it in conversation every day.

I do like some of the other ones too.

Good, you do that.

It would be interesting to witness the origin of a grassroots meme, as opposed to one dropped from on high through the media.

Could it happen?

Good, you do that.

It would be interesting to witness the origin of a grassroots meme, as opposed to one dropped from on high through the media.

Could it happen?

Wonder what the equivalent would be here: HPC-cernomics?

Trips off the tongue quite well...

Christ, have some kids, do the school run and you'll find that this sort of thinking makes up the mjority of women at the gates.

I don;t really engage in discourse on these sorts of issues - you need people to be sort of on the samish wavelengh and understood certain economic phenomenen. It'll just end with 'You would say that, Men are all the same'.

Get a bit of paper with some pre-answered comments:

'You will not make money by baking cup-cakes'

'You cannot make money (or compete with 3rd world) by threading beads and making jewellry'

' No I can buy a [Osbourne book, cleaning products, whatever MLM cr*p] . I can get them chepaer from [internet, Tesco].'

'Pyramid scheme collapse'

'No, I don;t think the local lap dance club will be interested in some fat, ugly, saggy t*tted 40 year old'

Harse? You try dealing with these idiots on a dail basis.

How about "mumsnetism" which encompasses a full ideology/mindest of economic illiteracy, NIMBY-ism, ill-informed and illogical sociopolpolitical ramblings and an obsession with low brow media/entertainment "stories"

or am I being a little harsh???

Heard an interesting term last night that the fall of the Berlin wall led to a 'mafiocracy' in Russia.

Maybe 'mumsnetmafionomics'? Surely it's a long enough word to get the attention of academia... :P

Like it - very good

It can be used in lots of ways as a substitute for real or realism:

"My property has been valued lorealistically."

"The buyer's expectations are too lorealistic."

"Get loreal!"

"You can't go wrong with bricks and mortar." - LorealistBear

' No I can buy a [Osbourne book, cleaning products, whatever MLM cr*p] . I can get them chepaer from [internet, Tesco].'

It's 'Usborne'. My wife sells them :)

She's good too. Team of 30 people and makes a tidy income.

> She's good too. Team of 30 people and makes a tidy income.

Ah yes, the head of 'no obligation, come round for a coffee, if you dont buy this book you are a skanker and your kids will work at maccyDs'

That's not my Mum ... her credit card statement is too small *

* Usbourne in-joke.

Ah yes, the head of 'no obligation, come round for a coffee, if you dont buy this book you are a skanker and your kids will work at maccyDs'

* Usbourne in-joke.

:lol:

Could it happen?

Coined here, I believe: Liar Loans

I'm sure there are others that spawned here that are everywhere now. Biflation?

Coined here, I believe: Liar Loans

I'm sure there are others that spawned here that are everywhere now. Biflation?

The 'Merkins were using the phrase a good year or three before the glorious Pebble picked up on it.

Though they say "Liars loans".

* Usbourne in-joke.

I prefer "That's not my Princess, her fan is too furry". Now that's a real book.

How about Lorealism? - Because I'm worth it.

It's genius

But as a marking slogan for cosmetics it was absolute genius anyway, so it's a good place to start.

Nothing quite captures a value based on nothing but perception.

But you're a little behind.

From wiki.

L’Oréal's famous advertising slogan is "Because I’m worth it". In mid 2000s this was replaced by "Because you're worth it". In late 2009 the slogan was changed again to "Because we're worth it" following motivation analysis and work into consumer psychology of Dr. Maxim Titorenko. The shift to "we" was made to create stronger consumer involvement in L'Oréal philosophy and lifestyle and provide more consumer satisfaction with L'Oréal products. L’Oréal also owns a Hair and Body products line for kids called L'Oréal Kids, the slogan for which is "Because we're worth it too".