House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mumblesmental

Gypsys Warning!

walking through Mumbles over the weekend, Adams restaurant closed - repossesed i think by owner Michael Knight - Moonlight curry house closed Mon Tue and Wed and some other Bistro shut - does not look good down there! Prices seem to be going down alot as well - a few worried westies about?

walking through Mumbles over the weekend, Adams restaurant closed - repossesed i think by owner Michael Knight - Moonlight curry house closed Mon Tue and Wed and some other Bistro shut - does not look good down there! Prices seem to be going down alot as well - a few worried westies about?

I normally hate grammar nazis, but this is one of those times when knowing what an apostrophe is for would really help people to understand what you're on about.

I was in a lovely birthday party last night, in Mumbles, and I concluded that out of about 50 to 60 people only about 5 were not public sector workers. No one appeared at all worried about the coming job cuts.

There were a lot of people there who live in very nice Swansea West houses but they basically bought over 10 years ago - suspect most could not afford to do so today.

I had never been to Adams nor the Moonlight restaurant - I have no idea how popular Adams was in Mumbles circles. I get the impression few wander further than Newton Road nowadays.

Edit:

Why the 'gypsys' heading?

Edited by The Masked Tulip

No worries. The vindaloos would only prove to be a bridge too far for most.The dramas, now in embryo, but soon to unfold in Wannabe West , will be more than adequate to loosen those stubborn colons.

didn't the guy who owned knights go off to australia ?

the council putting up the parking charges in mumbles must have an effect as well and charging to park in the winter months which used to be free.

mumbles must find it hard to compete against swansea with lots of new places opening up like patti raj, SA1, etc

the success of the bendy buses also pulls people into swansea centre instead of them heading down the mumbles and the new bus station is opening soon as well.

Similar tale in the East. Monmouth's high street is looking gutted right now with a lot of shops gone, the best Indian just gone under and parades of empty shops interspersed with charity shops. Greedy landlords have massively hiked their rates in the last 2 years and driven small shop owners to the wall. Can't understand it - I'd have thought it better to have a shop occupied even if the rent is less rather than driving trade out of town for lack of choice.

Edited by The Dragon

Similar tale in the East. Monmouth's high street is looking gutted right now with a lot of shops gone, the best Indian just gone under and parades of empty shops interspersed with charity shops. Greedy landlords have massively hiked their rates in the last 2 years and driven small shop owners to the wall. Can't understand it - I'd have thought it better to have a shop occupied even if the rent is less rather than driving trade out of town for lack of choice.

I think this is happening all across Wales and the UK. It is moving from suburbs to towns and city centres. Swansea was once a vibrant place to shop but if you want anything 'decent' now you get on the bus or train to Cardiff.

I am amazed that we are not hearing of more of these commercial landlords going bust.