House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vaevictus

Trips To London, Recommend A Good Value Hotel?

Hi,

Wife's eager to go to london for two nights, see the sights usual crap. Hotels there are crazy expensive, and she wants a nice one.

the way I see it, we will be out most of the day getting as much crammed in as possible so no need to go crazy with a £250 per night room, for that money we could have a week somewhere!

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel central to london that wont break the bank?

also, this is what we plan to do:

Westminster

Wax museum

London Eye

Natural History museum

tower bridge

buckingham palace

trafalgar square.

Is there any blindingly obvious things we have missed that we should do there?

Cheers

If you don't mind being a bit out of the way then hotels in the city tend to have very cheap weekend rates. Club Quarters on Gracechurch Street is decent for example.

Hi,

Wife's eager to go to london for two nights, see the sights usual crap. Hotels there are crazy expensive, and she wants a nice one.

the way I see it, we will be out most of the day getting as much crammed in as possible so no need to go crazy with a £250 per night room, for that money we could have a week somewhere!

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel central to london that wont break the bank?

also, this is what we plan to do:

Westminster

Wax museum

London Eye

Natural History museum

tower bridge

buckingham palace

trafalgar square.

Is there any blindingly obvious things we have missed that we should do there?

Cheers

Unless you are going on a really busy weekend, I would take a chance on one of the last minute "top secret" hotels. You can usually work out which one it is if you're really bothered, but chances are it should be fine and I got a great deal on one when I went.

Buy yourself an Oyster card unless you want to pay top dollar for public transport.

The open topped buses are supposed to be good fun, but they are expensive at about £20 or £25 for a days ticket. You can get round this by just doing a short hop on one to get the experience without doing the whole tour, you just have to ask for a local fare, which they have to give you, although some drivers may be a little awkward about it. Check with the guys selling tickets by the bus stops to make sure.

Other things to do include

walk along the south bank to see houses of parliment etc

St Paul's cathedral, cross over the millenium bridge and go to the Tate (free)

Natural History Museum and Science Museum may also be of interest in south ken and you can look at Hyde Park whilst you there., V&A Museum is also in the area, and your not far from Harrods for a look around.

If you are going to do a show, then Billy Elliot is good but any show will cost you or may be a naff one.

Loads of good restaurants that wont break the bank, competition in London keeps prices fairly reasonable if you plan ahead, check out some reviews ahead of time and look out for a deal on toptable or similar, but these are fewer on a weekend.

You might want to look down brick lane

Cocktails in Soho is fun (but not cheap), and you can take a walk down old compton street to look at the sleezier side of London.

Try and plan a little as you don't want to spend your time criss crossing across London, its a big place.

http://www.premierin...ndon-kensington

Ideally located within easy reach of the A4. Conveniently positioned for Earls Court and Gloucester Road underground stations. Local attractions include the Natural History museum, Victoria and Albert Science museums, Harrods and only 20 minutes by tube from the West End.

we stayed at the premier inn next to St Pancras. it was ok, but the bottom 4 floors suffer horribly from traffic noise.

I stayed in the Ibis next door to Wembley stadium last week - and it was just £60 for a night. It's about 10 minutes' walk from Wembley Park underground, which itself is about 15 minutes to Baker Street (cue sax solo).

Disneyland Paris...about £100 per night, 2.5 hours on the train, and a character breakfast.

Travelodge have a sale on at the mo - quite a few of them in central london for about £20 a night if your lucky!

An alternative is an short stay apartment - we got a nice open plan apartment with breakfast included for two nights just off the Strand for £110 a night. Admittedly no room service or the like, but the room was four times the size of a typical London hotel, the breakfast was nice and the room was quiet.

Thistle Piccadilly. Just by leicester Sq. Could not get more central and sensibly priced for its location.

British museum is by far the best museum. Soak up the Elgin Marbles

National Gallery, take a look at Whistklejacket by Stubbs

Red Lion pub, Whitehall, is a famous and good watering hole. See who you see

If there on a thursday, take a tour of the Palace of Westminster, well worth it to see your seat of democracy, whatever you think.

Ask your MP if he can get you a ticket to PMQ if you are in London on a Wednesday, again well worth it. Not what you would normally have on your list, but you will be surprised.

Quaglinos for a dramatic restaurant setting, but it is not intimate.

Walk down Whitehall from Trafalgar Sq to Westminster (15 mins). Stay on West side of road. Then back to Trafalgar Sq via Whitehall War rooms, Horesguards Parade and St James Park. 1hr round trip.

Ronnie Scots for an unforgettable night's engtertainment

St Pauls Cathedrala and Westminster Abbey

Fortnum and Masons see the food hall, Hamleys, Harrods

And the others

London Eye on South Bank, along with the 'freaks and wierdos' displays between the Eye and the SBC

All the above within walking distance of the Hotel

Well my wife's eager to visit Wales. Anything worth seeing there?

Well my wife's eager to visit Wales. Anything worth seeing there?

The Masked Tulip sounds worth a visit.

Whatever you do, don't go to the British Museum.

It will ruin every museum visit when you go on holiday to Greece, Italy or Egypt... we've got all the good bits!

Make sure you figure out the deals to get in places cheap - travel by train gets you 2 for 1 at lots of attractions (but I'm sure there are other offers out there) - otherwise it gets really expensive really quickly.

I was quite impressed with Premiere Inn (Euston and Kings Cross branches). I'm not sure of the exact cost because my employer paid. Clean and comfortable, with friendly staff. As others have said, the lower floors suffer a bit from traffic and drunken-reveller noise.

Stay at Space Aparthotel that's in central London just off Bayswater Road. It's one of the highest rating on tripadvisor and very reasonably priced.

If your going to St pauls just go up the road to the Museum of London , Its just had a revamp and its worth a look (free)

I prefer the V&A to the British museum (which is just basically a record of every country we have plundered over the last millennia)