House Price Crash Forum

Rates are variable.

**Rates include a fixed rate bonus of 1.45% gross p.a. payable for the first 12 months only.

Be careful to switch to a higher paying rate after a year as well.

Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

Be careful to switch to a higher paying rate after a year as well.

Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

I thought 2.99% for what is an instant access account is not too bad, it is better than their bonds pay.

I started the application for that but gave up.

For some reason it's like a separate account to your other Nationwide accounts. It was asking me to create different log-ins and passwords. I phoned up mid-application to ask why and they said that's just the way this new account is handled. She said it would be visible from my existing Nationwide log-in but you cannot do anything to it without logging onto to it separately.

For some reason it's like a separate account to your other Nationwide accounts.

I gave up too. I think they wanted a nice headline rate but don't want too many people to apply.

I gave up too. I think they wanted a nice headline rate but don't want too many people to apply.

I openend one , it was so easy a baby could do it :rolleyes:

Accused of nasty tricks

Nationwide under fire for using 'dirty trick' to swipe savers' interest when they leave

By DAN HYDE

Last updated at 10:34 AM on 20th September 2011

Comments (19)

Britain's biggest building society, Nationwide, is using a little-known clause to rob savers of up to a month's interest when they close their account.

Savers have been left aghast by the 'dirty trick' hidden away in the fine print of Nationwide's MySave Online Plus account.

It comes just as Nationwide has launched a major new television advertising campaign with the slogan 'on your side'.

Tricks: Nationwide drops the interest rate to 0.1 per cent for the last month on its MySave Online Plus when you close the account. It has promised This is Money that it will make the hitherto hidden clause clearer to customers

The ruse sees the building society's high-profile 3.12 per cent MySave rate crash to just 0.1 per cent during the month in which the account is closed.

It means if a saver opened an account with on the 1 September and closed it on the 31 October, they'd get a miserable 0.1 per cent annualised return for the whole of October.

etc

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2039249/Nationwide-using-dirty-trick-steal-savers-interest.html

Accused of nasty tricks

Thanks for posting that RS

Am not amused at them for that, I will likely be closing mine on or around 1st Oct & they can wave bye bye to my ISA too

Edited by inflating

Nationwide, along with BT, are on a list of 2 companies I will never deal with again in my life.

Why? I was thinking of opening an account with Nationwide International since Abbey was bought out by Santander.

I think it was Tuesday morning at the main local branch full of customers I voiced my concern to the counter staff and talked of closing the account, the staff said they knew nothing about such a clause and asked me if I had a copy of the Ts & Cs on me :rolleyes:

Perhaps enough of us spoke up for once. Well done RS and everyone else who voiced their discontent, now if only the savers could do the same and get the piddling insulting interest rates up at UK savings institutions, but alas we can't so far although one or two accounts have crept up a bit lately