House Price Crash Forum
Tankus

Will The Olympics Push Local East End House Prices ?

Do you mean before/during the event because of the need for accommodation of after it's all over?

Wasn't this the dream that the Millennium Dome would gentrify the area.

Do you mean before/during the event because of the need for accommodation of after it's all over?

Stratford has always been a magnet for foreign investors.bus conductors and sweatshop workers.

remind me, how long does the Olympics last?

ask the Greeks....they are still enjoying the financial fruits.

yeah !

The improvement of transport links and a general civic superficial visual improvement in the area may cause a bit of a local "bounce" ....................or am I thinking like an EA ?

Push them where?

Into the Thames or River Lea hopefully!

Just to add its a right Ikea flat pack stadium they have built. Miss my daily giggle as I crawled past on my daily Romford to Liv.Pool street run.

Edited by Sir John Steed

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this ?

Too late, prices in the area increased massively after the Olympics were announced to be in London... they also increased massively when the new East London Line was announced... shame people had to pay 50% over the odds to live in a property to wait 5 years for a cr@ppy tube.

In the 'good time' (bad times) prices didn't wait for things to happen, they ballooned on rumour of events, gentrification and so on. Same as a bull market does.

Prices in Stratford have increased, outperforming similar areas. However, what is it based on? On nothing more that the belief that house prices will increase because of the Olympics - a self-fulfilling prophesy. Yes, the building site is employing a lot of builders, but does this mean that local prices will increase? I think not.

Yeah right, a few years back I was working with a lady who was so convinced that that area was going to be “pushed” that she and her sister were trying to create a portfolio in that very area. She was so convinced that she’d soon be rich on the back of the Olympics’ she tried desperately to get any one she could to get involve.

Mind you she was only nineteen at the time and her sister a year younger, I’d love to know if she ever got her empire off the ground. :blink:

The specualtors have already made their profits.

The reason why the cost of the olypics shot up by £6bn was because the day the winning of the bid was announced, specualtors rushed out and bought up all the derelict houses they were due to be knocked down for the bulding of the stadiums.

No, I'm not kidding. Property speculators made £6bn from the olympics in under a year.