House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crash2006

Universities Get Power To Raise Fees To £9,000

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8098534/Universities-get-power-to-raise-fees-to-9000.html

However theres a bit that iam very unhappy with "government loans to pay tuition fees will be three percentage points above inflation " and " face redemption penalties if trying to pay off the loans early" redemption penalties from the government thats just a joke isnt it, how unfair is that? it turning out to be another sort of consumer market.

I've been reading a book called Jilted Generation: How Britain Has Bankrupted Its Youth and it's pretty old hat stuff for HPCers and although written in a brief, journalistic way it effectively lays out just how utterly shafted the tail-end of Generation X and Generation Y are.

The authors nail all the myths. Got a 'good degree' but only seem to be able to land a McJob you could have got with a couple of GCSEs? Can't afford to buy or even rent the crappiest home? Don't have two cents to rub together but have to pay for your education, all your taxes go to others, and are constantly told you'll have to save more and more for your future as pensions are watered down and that you'll have to work and work and work until you die?

I have friends around ten years younger than me and some friends around ten years older. The social changes that have hit the young are represented massively by my social circle. Those who were starting out in life pre-boom have nice houses, small mortgages and have enough financial slack for treats, having families, saving. Those in he middle - late twenties to early thirties - are pretty screwed but at least escaped university megadebts, probably have a decent saving pot and jobs while probably less well paid and interesting than they might have hoped for are 'okay'. Those under 25 - massive debt, HMO poverty squalor, dreadful McJobs, difficulty imagining a brighter future.

£9 tuition fees? Just don't bother...

I've been reading a book called Jilted Generation: How Britain Has Bankrupted Its Youth and it's pretty old hat stuff for HPCers and although written in a brief, journalistic way it effectively lays out just how utterly shafted the tail-end of Generation X and Generation Y are.

The authors nail all the myths. Got a 'good degree' but only seem to be able to land a McJob you could have got with a couple of GCSEs? Can't afford to buy or even rent the crappiest home? Don't have two cents to rub together but have to pay for your education, all your taxes go to others, and are constantly told you'll have to save more and more for your future as pensions are watered down and that you'll have to work and work and work until you die?

I have friends around ten years younger than me and some friends around ten years older. The social changes that have hit the young are represented massively by my social circle. Those who were starting out in life pre-boom have nice houses, small mortgages and have enough financial slack for treats, having families, saving. Those in he middle - late twenties to early thirties - are pretty screwed but at least escaped university megadebts, probably have a decent saving pot and jobs while probably less well paid and interesting than they might have hoped for are 'okay'. Those under 25 - massive debt, HMO poverty squalor, dreadful McJobs, difficulty imagining a brighter future.

Just makes you sick the way this country is turning out, its all a big con.

We are fighting back, not on the streets with a placard, but in council houses on dole checks, if this country is going to try and bankrupt us before we enter wage slavery, we'll sure as hell bankrupt it first.

Well look at the bright side. At least Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg didn't have any tuition fees to pay.

Go to uni in Europe - it is still free to EU citizens.

Then emigrate to North America/Oceania/Asia and live with a higher quality of life. Start the brain drain and they will have to take notice.

(my parents left the country the last time it was this bad :( )

When a new coffee shop opened at Bluewater this week, there were over 2000 applications for jobs as waiting staff, and over 700 of these were from graduates.

When a new coffee shop opened at Bluewater this week, there were over 2000 applications for jobs as waiting staff, and over 700 of these were from graduates.

where were the other 1100 from?

Totally disgusted tbh. Looks like they have turned uni loans into a profit making venture.

The myth of uni degree = high paying job needs to be broken.

Force them to publish the average salary of the graduates from that particular uni and course for every year over the past 5 years, and make it extremely prominant on their websites/prospecti. Put it right beside the total expected cost of their degree.

Just makes you sick the way this country is turning out, its all a big con.

What you should be asking is:

Who are these hidden minority of two-faced bastards who are doing this stuff to us and our children?

Who are these hidden minority of two-faced bastards who are doing this stuff to us and our children?

hidden?

They are called politicians mate.

When we needed a recently qualified accountant, we had 3 applications all from people in their 50s.

When we needed a young girl on the reception, we had 5 applicants. 3 of which didnt even bother replying to the invite for an interview.

This 100s of people applying for jobs is just made up ********.

When we needed a recently qualified accountant, we had 3 applications all from people in their 50s.

When we needed a young girl on the reception, we had 5 applicants. 3 of which didnt even bother replying to the invite for an interview.

My son just got a new job in London. There were 200 applicants.

We are supposed to take your unsubstantiated "anecdote" and accept its veracity as a barometer of the current UK jobs market over publicly available statistics?

Okydoky.... :lol:

Oh they're eaay to spot.

They're the people lazing around doing nothing, buring up the NHS budget and spending their lives with their hands out.

I think the redemption penalties for the loan scheme are a bit stupid, as the well off will just borrow the money elsewhere. I can see parents remortgaging houses and lending heir children the money. Also 3% above RPI could be quite expensive.

My son just got a new job in London. There were 200 applicants.

When portsmouth (I think) wanted some men bin men they got about 200 applicant per post

Oh it's Havant

here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1173764/The-binman-job-advert-attracted-238-applications.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/5227249/Council-binman-job-advert-attracts-238-applications.html

tim

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8098534/Universities-get-power-to-raise-fees-to-9000.html

However theres a bit that iam very unhappy with "government loans to pay tuition fees will be three percentage points above inflation " and " face redemption penalties if trying to pay off the loans early" redemption penalties from the government thats just a joke isnt it, how unfair is that? it turning out to be another sort of consumer market.

That is just plain evil. I wonder which banker demanded that so they could more easily package up the securities for sale...

In Australia you get a 10% discount for each dollar you pay off early.