House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Freedom Of Speech Is Lost

I may have completely missed earlier discussion of this, but what do people make of this story?

Jade Goody website 'troll' from Manchester jailed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11650593

An "internet troll" who posted obscene messages on Facebook sites set up in memory of dead people has been jailed.

Colm Coss, of Ardwick, Manchester, posted on a memorial page for Big Brother star Jade Goody and a tribute site to John Paul Massey, a Liverpool boy mauled to death by a dog.

The 36-year-old "preyed on bereaved families" for his "own pleasure", Manchester Magistrates Court heard.

He was jailed for 18 weeks for sending "malicious communications".

Clearly the guy is prize prat, but surely only under NuLabor type  legislation  (He was charged under the Communications Act 2003, for sending malicious communications that were grossly offensive.) could someone be jailed for words not intended to defraud or cause fear of harm. Or is this more like poison pen letters, which do seem to have been prosecuted in the past, though presumably on the basis of threats.

I may have completely missed earlier discussion of this, but what do people make of this story?

Clearly the guy is prize prat, but surely only under NuLabor type legislation (He was charged under the Communications Act 2003, for sending malicious communications that were grossly offensive.) could someone be jailed for words not intended to defraud or cause fear of harm. Or is this more like poison pen letters, which do seem to have been prosecuted in the past, though presumably on the basis of threats.

I'd like to reply to this but I'm too afraid I'd transgress one of the 3000 or so anti civil-liberties laws introduced by the last government - so I shall refrain.

Clearly the guy is prize prat, but surely only under NuLabor type  legislation  (He was charged under the Communications Act 2003, for sending malicious communications that were grossly offensive.) could someone be jailed for words not intended to defraud or cause fear of harm. Or is this more like poison pen letters, which do seem to have been prosecuted in the past, though presumably on the basis of threats.

Hard to say without having seen the offending posts, but it's hard to see how it should merit more than an ASBO. An offensive message on the 'net is scarcely on the level of nuisance of, say, an unreasonably noisy neighbour, let alone one who actively threatens you.

I was more disturbed by the story of someone being imprisoned for possessing a book:

A nasty nutcase is convicted of terrorist offences. His teenage son is convicted of possessing a book called the Anarchists Cookbook, available openly from Amazon. And the judge says all copies of the book in the UK should be destroyed (link).

OK, if a man has been manufacturing ricin and intends using it to kill, then he needs to be locked up. But the son is another story: he may have been complicit in a crime, but if so he should be put on trial for that. Not for mere possession of a book! His conviction is a grim reminder of how far we’ve slid into totalitarianism.

Perhaps someone should remind the powers-that-be that within living memory we were at total war with Nazi Germany, yet there were no restrictions on owning or reading Mein Kampf. Once upon a time, Britain stood for freedom!

My favourite so far was when police arrested a man at his place of work for a letter of complaint he'd written to his council about some gypsies who he felt the council were allowing to "doing what they likey", likey being a rhyme of pikey which since Snatch we all know is to be considered the "P Bomb", unless you're being played by Brad Pitt in which case it's kinda cool. They didn't even arrest the right man. Labours series of home secretaries just got consistently more Gestapo throughout their term ending with the worst of the bunch IMO the Harmonator. Seriously Labour scare the crap out of me on every level, they could absolutely RUIN this country if they get another chance.

Clearly the guy is prize prat, but surely only under NuLabor type legislation (He was charged under the Communications Act 2003, for sending malicious communications that were grossly offensive.) could someone be jailed for words not intended to defraud or cause fear of harm. Or is this more like poison pen letters, which do seem to have been prosecuted in the past, though presumably on the basis of threats.

compare this to the six month suspended sentence the 19 year old ba@stered that beat up the granddad with 3 month to live on his doorstep received the laws stupid.

I once came across a Penguin paperback by Che Guevara on Guerrilla Warfare, in a charity shop, helpful hints on how to use a rifle to fire petrol bombs etc. Needless to say i DO NOT have this book in my possession. So was Che a terrorist then? Or are we still calling him a freedom fighter?

I once came across a Penguin paperback by Che Guevara on Guerrilla Warfare, in a charity shop, helpful hints on how to use a rifle to fire petrol bombs etc. Needless to say i DO NOT have this book in my possession. So was Che a terrorist then? Or are we still calling him a freedom fighter?

I have a copy of "Steal this Book" by Abbie Hoffman. Won't tell you how I acquired it though.

said book appears to have been released for the kindle:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guerrilla-Warfare/dp/B00381B96M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288398487&sr=1-6-spell

Seriously Labour scare the crap out of me on every level, they could absolutely RUIN this country if they get another chance.

Let's give the other lot a chance to ruin the country!

I'm sure they are equally adept! :blink:

I read this story and was pretty shocked.

being offensive should not be illegal. (where would comedians be if that was the law?)

At least this new lot talk about civil liberties - doubt they really mean it though.

I read this story and was pretty shocked.

being offensive should not be illegal. (where would comedians be if that was the law?)

At least this new lot talk about civil liberties - doubt they really mean it though.

Being offensive shouldn't be acceptable either. There need to be some consequences at some point. Freedom of speech should not mean freedom from consequences of what you say.

Being offensive shouldn't be acceptable either. There need to be some consequences at some point. Freedom of speech should not mean freedom from consequences of what you say.

The consequence is people stop interacting with you.

Or sue you if it is libellous or breaches an NDA, or prosecute you for endagering the public, in breach of official secrets or treason.

Being nasty on the other hand - surely sticks and stones?

Fair enough, although that on its own doesn't prevent someone making someone else's life a misery.

I also get fed up with people who seem to think that freedom of speech means that they should be given a soapbox from which to vent their bile.

Fair enough, although that on its own doesn't prevent someone making someone else's life a misery.

I also get fed up with people who seem to think that freedom of speech means that they should be given a soapbox from which to vent their bile.

Freedom of listening is the other half of it ofc.

If you put a public comments section where people can type what they want, then people will type what they want.

Start a forum and moderate it if you want to censor, job done. This guy has been kidnapped, locked up and will possibly be sexually molested for basically being a bit of a dick.

It's in no way proportional. At the very least punishments should fit crimes.