House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Radio 2 - Home Ownership: Better To Rent Or Buy?

HOLA441

Home Ownership: Better to rent or buy?

Bbc Radio 2 - Home Ownership: Better To Rent Or Buy?

Friday 29th October @ 1pm (Vine)

Radio: 88-91 FM

Online: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/radio2

Call: 0500 288291

Text: 88291

No doubt a bit of feel-good property ramping following the recent reports of house price falls.

Get ready for the obligatory "renting is dead money", "paying off someone else's mortgage", etc.

Unfortunately I'm unable to call in but last month's 3.6% fall paid my rent for the next year. This month's 0.7% fall is more than I earn a month. And prices are expected to continue falling!

I'm sure I'm not alone and it'll be good to get that message across to counter the usual biased "expert" VI they'll have in the studio.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

the Jeremy Vine show is always better when Jeremy Vine isn`t actually on it !

The last few of these phone ins, he has been really dismissive. 'here we go again... britains obsession with house prices....'

May get a better airing if he is not on today.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The last few of these phone ins, he has been really dismissive. 'here we go again... britains obsession with house prices....'

May get a better airing if he is not on today.

I seem to recall Vine saying in a previous phone in (around 2008/9 crash) that he'd bought "recently".

I'm guessing he traded up but would still not like the idea of his home being "worth" less than what he paid for it.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

market sentiment is looking like engrained pro-renting from one phone-in:

'you can always get a much better place renting and this will always be the case'

that is nonsense, I am sure a point will come where buying a house will be much better than renting price-wise, but renting will be the preferred social stigma because it is always better for whatever reason

HOLA4418

market sentiment is looking like engrained pro-renting from one phone-in:

'you can always get a much better place renting and this will always be the case'

that is nonsense, I am sure a point will come where buying a house will be much better than renting price-wise, but renting will be the preferred social stigma because it is always better for whatever reason

There is nothing wrong with renting. People are usually happy to "rent" their cars.

What we want is proper accredited professional landlords, not speculator/spivs and a longer term more stable replacement (or supplement) to the Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Not going to happen though.

Quite frightening how no one is campaigning for more tenant rights or lower housing costs.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

There is nothing wrong with renting. People are usually happy to "rent" their cars.

true

what I am saying is that one or the other is financially preferable in a general sense over the long term

right now, house prices are so high that in most cases renting is far more preferable in financial terms

however, at other time (between roughyl 1994 and 2000, say) you were better off buying a house in financial terms

one of the characteristics of that 'other' time was that sentiment was not particularly pro-buying, and on this radio show I see a return to that sentiment

HOLA4423

true

what I am saying is that one or the other is financially preferable in a general sense over the long term

right now, house prices are so high that in most cases renting is far more preferable in financial terms

however, at other time (between roughyl 1994 and 2000, say) you were better off buying a house in financial terms

one of the characteristics of that 'other' time was that sentiment was not particularly pro-buying, and on this radio show I see a return to that sentiment

Of course they are probably ramping renting now, due to all those soon to be emptied BTL's where the HB tenants have been "ethnically cleansed." laugh.gif

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Not enough about the cons, and how people are forced into a choice between the unsettled and restricted lifestyle of a renter or the restricted and frightening life of a debt slave. Renters for the most part are not making a choice they are happy with, they rent and doff their cap to the property owners or they live on the streets. Glossed over that last woman caller who said as a renter there is no opportunity to own an animal or have children, the reality is not a cheerful matter of choice.