House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anonguest

Outrageous Ea Advertising

Once again I thought I would do my little bit to help maintain the 'house' related element on this board over the larger number of 'economy' related threads.

Yes, EAs (like anyone involved in sellig for a living) will make things sound/look better than they really are - but there comes a point when it just becomes stupid. Indeed I thought there were no supposed to be rules (law?) to combat the often ridiculed exaggerated claims by EAs in times past (e.g "only a short walk to the station", etc.

Take a look at this one. HOW ON EARTH can anyone claim to call the claimed 4th bedroom a bedroom, or even a 'study' for the matter. Take a close look at the dimensions. It's barely a walk in closet!

OK, so one might JUST be able to fit a single bed into the room, but would there be room to even stand next to the bed?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28190941.html

It does however have a

non-bisected lawned garden

What ever the hell that is.

People base their searches on number of bedrooms, I know I always have. However in these sort of cases and the other one which I hate which is a down stairs bedroom for me they are counter productive, I will just instantly dismiss it, which I wouldn't do if it was advertised as 3 bed.

The only thing that seems to be in it's favour is that it is priced at a level to similar 3 beds, which is exactly what it is.

People base their searches on number of bedrooms, I know I always have.

Really? I always search on price. A 3-bed period house is often bigger than a 4-bed new-build, and priced similarly. I'm interested in the overall size of the building, and not how many interior walls have been put up, so the bedroom count is of little interest (unless I have a third child!).

Really? I always search on price. A 3-bed period house is often bigger than a 4-bed new-build, and priced similarly. I'm interested in the overall size of the building, and not how many interior walls have been put up, so the bedroom count is of little interest (unless I have a third child!).

I think that really is the bog problem in the UK indeed. In France and other European countries I have been to, what really matters is the surface (m2 or ft2) and the price per sqm). You can then really quickly compare houses together. The other day I had sent my over half look at a 4 bed house (105sqm asking for 290kGBP), she was talked into looking at the 3 bed in the same street (75sqm asking for 250kGBP). She was all impressed about how nice it was and cheaper and it took me a while to get her to understand that the 3 bed was even more grossly inflated than the 4 bed. When the EA called her back to get feedback she asked why the 3 bed was no much more expensive (@3333 /sqm instead of 2760/sqm for the 4bed, same age, "quality", location...). All the EA could reply was "oh, people don't normally go into this sort of details!".

I think that sums it all up, people in the UK just haven't got a clue...