House Price Crash Forum
Brave New World

Diy Amateur Btl Fixes

A RIO - rent it out instead - owns my rented gaff and today marks another day of amateur diy fun. Annoys me that we get these bodge fixes of things, regardless of the house long term needing a new roof and a damp problem on the front and rear walls. To look at the house it looks nice - just what lurks below for future.

Today they are putting in loft insulation - is this something her and her fella can do themselves? I don't know anything about this type of job so any thoughts would be great.

A RIO - rent it out instead - owns my rented gaff and today marks another day of amateur diy fun. Annoys me that we get these bodge fixes of things, regardless of the house long term needing a new roof and a damp problem on the front and rear walls. To look at the house it looks nice - just what lurks below for future.

Today they are putting in loft insulation - is this something her and her fella can do themselves? I don't know anything about this type of job so any thoughts would be great.

Loft insulation is easy, many people do it themselves.

Hello BNW. Nothing to stop them putting loft insulation in and as long as they do not go right up to the edge and obstruct the ventilation, then it should not be a problem. If the place is damp and has a dodgy roof, I would be looking for somewhere else to live as there are some potentially serious health issues here. I woul;d also write to then about the damp problems just to cover yourself. Hope this helps.

Loft insulation is very easy, but it won't fix damp or a dodgy roof.

I would think about moving if I was you.

It's not good for your health to live with damp.

Cheers efdemin.

Had a few roofers round to do quick fixes and quote on full roof but the proper job never gets done.

Have it for another year or so - been here 2 years thus far and the damp just seems to get painted over. It is not that you smell it through the house like yo do in bad cases but if you leave for example a wicker bin next to the wall for a few months it will get a damp patch on it.

Just another shut eyes and i won't loose any money by not selling now...whilst ignoring encroaching major repairs which will haunt them further down the line.

Still should warmer next week when it is done!

Cheers Yorkshire

Loft insulation is very easy, but it won't fix damp or a dodgy roof.

I would think about moving if I was you.

It's not good for your health to live with damp.

Have had a perpetually blocked nose for a year!

Might borrow one of those damp meters - just the hassle of moving pre hpc!

Have had a perpetually blocked nose for a year!

Might borrow one of those damp meters - just the hassle of moving pre hpc!

Buy a dehumidifier. I was stuck living in a damp rental for six months due to my contract and bought one. Best investment ever. You can pick up something reasonable for £100-ish. I still use the one below in my new gaff:

Dehumidifier

Buy a dehumidifier. I was stuck living in a damp rental for six months due to my contract and bought one. Best investment ever. You can pick up something reasonable for £100-ish. I still use the one below in my new gaff:

Dehumidifier

If you push hard enough you can get the LL to contribute to the excess energy costs of these things.