House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

The Sky-High Flight Tax: Families Face Rises Of Up To 55% In Levy On Holidays From Uk Airports

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324685/The-sky-high-flight-tax-Families-face-rises-55-levy-holidays-UK-airports.html

Airport tax will leap by up to 55 per cent from Monday, adding hundreds of pounds to the cost of family holidays abroad.

The increases in Air Passenger Duty (APD) for all flights out of UK airports, which come into force next week, will push up the tax on a family of four’s trip to the Far East or Australia by £240 to £680. Those in economy face an increase of £120 to £340.

Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Atlantic airline yesterday warned that the rises will make family holidays ‘unaffordable for many’.

British Airways chief executive Willie Walsh has branded APD a ‘disgrace’, while organisations from Ryanair to package holiday firms to the Association of British Travel Agents have lined up to condemn it. APD was initially introduced as a ‘green tax’ on the basis it would discourage people from flying and cut carbon emissions.

However, it has become a cash cow for the last government and the Coalition, with annual revenue set to rise from £2.3billion to £3.8billion by 2015.

From next week, a family of four flying economy to Florida will see the APD rise from a total of £180 to £240 – an increase of 33 per cent.

A family of four travelling in premium seats to Australia will see the total APD figure rise from £440 to £680 – a rise of £240, or 55 per cent. The same family travelling in economy would see APD rise from £220 to £340 – up £120, or 55 per cent.

Even short-haul flights are affected. APD on economy flights of up to 2,000 miles goes up from £11 to £12, while the figure for premium seats rises from £22 to £24.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/tax_receipts/table1-2.pdf

Stamp duty has collapsed so the revenues need to be made up and air taxes have been a nice little earner for the govt over the past 10 years, it won't make up all the shortfall but as the holiday VI's say people won't give up their holidays will they?

It's win win for the govt the inelastic demand for family holidays get that cash cow milked. :ph34r:

not many families go long haul to NZ and OZ.

mostly couples.....£2K return flights for a couple plus hotels and stuff, means it was only for rich families anyway.

this carbon tax, which attacks business, is just that..an attack on business.

the oil it attempts to reduce has been sucked out of the ground anyway...the family not travelling in the aircraft, which, per mile, emits less than a 1.3 litre Ford Fiesta, will emit in some other way.

must put in my claim for the fuel surcharge scam Branson and BA were ordered to recompense under a class action ruling.

the aircraft, which, per mile, emits less than a 1.3 litre Ford Fiesta

If the only way to get to NZ was in a Ford Fiesta, I wonder if anyone would bother? <_<

must put in my claim for the fuel surcharge scam Branson and BA were ordered to recompense under a class action ruling.

hey bloo loo, post a link for the clas action thingy? I havent been able to find one!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324685/The-sky-high-flight-tax-Families-face-rises-55-levy-holidays-UK-airports.html

Stamp duty has collapsed so the revenues need to be made up and air taxes have been a nice little earner for the govt over the past 10 years, it won't make up all the shortfall but as the holiday VI's say people won't give up their holidays will they?

It's win win for the govt the inelastic demand for family holidays get that cash cow milked. :ph34r:

Why dont they instead start charging people to come in to this country like they do in some other countries?

hey bloo loo, post a link for the clas action thingy? I havent been able to find one!

Ill have to dig out the stuff, its on my desk...Ill post it later.

If the only way to get to NZ was in a Ford Fiesta, I wonder if anyone would bother? <_<

people did.....and when they arent flying, they are emmitting soemwhere else.

question...why are cold nights the ones without clouds? ( CO2 is invisible)

dear god

Is this a trick question?

Does this mean the Lempicka clan wont be able to come back for the annual holiday in cleethorpes?

Id like to see a tax on flights to the carribean, southern europe and those asian/australian resorts.

Call it a skin cancer tax or something.

Stop giving them ideas....

;)

I have another question:

Why is winter colder than summer if CO2 is invisible?

thats easy....its because of God...see above.

here you go.

www.airpassengerrefund.co.uk for UK, or .com for US and Canada

or telephone 0800 043 0343

you have until 31 12 12 to file.

fly from Amsterdam then ............................

er!!

`emirates` Heathrow to Perth or Amsterdam to Perth , same dates end of March 2011 return April 2011, same planes, same distance (virtually)

£760 GBP from Heathrow

Euro 1233 from Schipol !!!!!!!!

thought there was no APD from Schipol ???????????

I am confused, are emirates being counter intuitive to confuse their competitors?

fly from Amsterdam then ............................

er!!

`emirates` Heathrow to Perth or Amsterdam to Perth , same dates end of March 2011 return April 2011, same planes, same distance (virtually)

£760 GBP from Heathrow

Euro 1233 from Schipol !!!!!!!!

thought there was no APD from Schipol ???????????

I am confused, are emirates being counter intuitive to confuse their competitors?

No, what people don't seem to realise is that air travel in the UK is v.cheap compared to Europe. Maybe it's the competition (e.g. BA - Virgin or Easyjet - Ryanair). Maybe it's because Brits tend to fly away from a soggy summer more than the French / Spanish / Italians / Germans do. Maybe it's because Heathrow is still a huge international hub so there are savings of scale.

Basically we don't realise how lucky we are with flight prices over here.

Edit: Try booking the same flight tickets via an airlines own website, but do it via the various country specific versions, e.g. airnewzealand.co.uk v.s. airnewzealand.co.nz and see the difference in price.

No, what people don't seem to realise is that air travel in the UK is v.cheap compared to Europe. Maybe it's the competition (e.g. BA - Virgin or Easyjet - Ryanair). Maybe it's because Brits tend to fly away from a soggy summer more than the French / Spanish / Italians / Germans do. Maybe it's because Heathrow is still a huge international hub so there are savings of scale.

Edit: Try booking the same flight tickets via an airlines own website, but do it via the various country specific versions, e.g. airnewzealand.co.uk v.s. airnewzealand.co.nz and see the difference in price.

ah yes, of course i was on the uk site, must brush up on my dutch.. wonder what happened to Yugoslav Airlines, they where, apart from Iran Air always the absolute cheapest to Aus :D

ah yes, of course i was on the uk site, must brush up on my dutch.. wonder what happened to Yugoslav Airlines, they where, apart from Iran Air always the absolute cheapest to Aus :D

I think you misunderstand me. It's cheaper to buy the same tickets in the UK than it is in the EU. That is for the same airline, flight, etc.

And the UK is shockingly expensive compared to Asia. Expedia for instance wanted $900 to fly to Taipei... while if I made a LONGER detour via Japan or Korea buying via a Korean website the costs dropped to 2/3rds!

I think you misunderstand me. It's cheaper to buy the same tickets in the UK than it is in the EU. That is for the same airline, flight, etc.

Yes, but the software knows you're enquiring from the UK.