House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

More Than £2,000 Wiped Off The Average Value Of A House...

'Figures published by the Nationwide yesterday show house prices fell by 0.7 per cent in October - a drop of nearly £2,400. They are now down by six per cent this year.'

Where did that come from? (not that I'm complaining to see it in print!)

See the Telegraph thread - they are running a story that the fall is about the average salary.

You must be happy at this news - weren't you thinking Nationwide was going to try and conjure up a rise?

I was referring to the down 6% a year mentioned in the Mail.

Edited by rantnrave

Personally, the knowledge that I haven't lost 8K of equity in the last two months has cheered me up no end :D

Yes, for the first time in many years us HPCers can actually begin to see the light - i.e. the falls greater than ou rental costs.

Yes, for the first time in many years us HPCers can actually begin to see the light - i.e. the falls greater than ou rental costs.

It's also 8K less I'll need to borrow from the bank when I decide to buy... which isn't looking imminent.

Tomorrow's Daily Mail - you will like this article - no doubt we need to add some comments.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324436/More-2-000-wiped-average-price-house--fall-20-affordable.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz13gfQMlKm

Good article, and with a good graph. :)

I liked this comment.

LOL at the posters name.

"As a pensioner with my mortgage cleared it does not affect me but I would like to see prices tumble so that the young have a chance to get on the ladder."

- old fart, st ives cambs england, 28/10/2010 18:55

It's also 8K less I'll need to borrow from the bank when I decide to buy... which isn't looking imminent.

Its a dangerous game you're playing, I mean you're trapped between some lunatics with a magic printing press, a total collaspe and tons of VIs.....

I like the picture of a monopoly house. It symbolises how the housing market is.

£50-200 (000) to buy a house from the bank. And you can sell it back for half price. The mortgages people use effectively double the cost of the house.

Build a hotel and get more money. With the doleys and low wage workers passing go to get the housing benefit needed to rent a room in the shared house, sorry, hotel.

I like the picture of a monopoly house. It symbolises how the housing market is.

£50-200 (000) to buy a house from the bank. And you can sell it back for half price. The mortgages people use effectively double the cost of the house.

Build a hotel and get more money. With the doleys and low wage workers passing go to get the housing benefit needed to rent a room in the shared house, sorry, hotel.

And the stations cost a fortune too, much like British public transport.

In China you can get a train that travels over 200 miles an hour. You can travel 126 miles first class for £13 in 45 minutes.

In the UK you'd be mad to get a train 126 miles, it would cost more than a flight and take a lot longer too!

In China you can get a train that travels over 200 miles an hour. You can travel 126 miles first class for £13 in 45 minutes.

In the UK you'd be mad to get a train 126 miles, it would cost more than a flight and take a lot longer too!

Not if you book a couple of weeks ahead. I'll give you that Chinese trains can run faster, but their network is far less extensive and wasn't expanded off of Victorian construction.

From the comments...

I am an estate agent in Worcestershire and recall that in Autumn 2007 the International Monetary Fund voiced the opinion that UK property prices at that time were 30% over-valued, by any sensible means of measurement. This seemed to me at the time to be hugely pessimistic, though of course no-one really knew then how deep the water was about to get.

Suffice to say that 3 years later, in the cold light of day, I have every reason to believe the IMF were probably spot on. Prices today are most certainly falling, and it is inevitable that a further correction has to take place before average properties become affordable again to people of average means.

By 'average means' I refer to the amount of money that an average buyer can put their hands on. Gone, thankfully, are the days of 5 or 6 x salary mortgages. The new norm will probably in fact be the old norm: 2.5 to 3 x joint salary plus decent deposit.

House prices NEED to fall by 10-20% to become affordable again (and will).

- Fred Bloggs, Middle England, 29/10/2010 00:28

Another bear-feast in the MSM today and some wonderful comments too.

Sibley was up early

A homeowner would not enter the market now. There is no need.

The banks will start lending again soon and this blip will be forgotten. I wouldn't want to sell my house and watch prices rise afterwards. These articles get taken over by renters hoping to create panic in the market. It has not worked where I live in the SE. Prices are as good as ever.

- Sibley., Maidstone Kent UK, 29/10/2010 05:59

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324436/More-2-000-wiped-average-price-house--fall-20-affordable.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz13j1DuIyp

Edited by Money Spinner

So Sibley wants to dry up supply to push prices up?

Just take a look at the rhodium market - much more scarce supply and even more highly manipulated.

He's an EA, who can make money up and down markets.

Take a tip, never fall in love with your investments. Cut your losses short and let your winners run. I bet you'll make more money from your day job next year, than from capital gains losses and rental income voids. Get your vendors down.

Edited by Money Spinner

Good article. This needs to keep going. I am starting to feel excited about this again, like in 2008.

In China a typical urban middle class salary in a major city is around the £600/mth mark.

Anyway, my fav quote:

The group said a typical first-time buyer needed to save more than £37,000 to buy an average priced starter home but they earn an average of less than half this amount at just £16,400 a year.

Bear food!

:)