House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Smell the Fear

Uk Poorer Than Most Us States

I read the front page of "the Business" newspaper while out shopping (for basic food stuffs, no consumer madness here!).

Apparently there is some new US research out that shows the UK to be poorer than all but 5 US states. GDP in the UK is lower than in Louisiana for example.

Inner city London incomes are lower than in the poorest US cities.

Does anyone know where to find a link to this online?

Edit: here's the link, courtesy of Golden Shower:

Poor UK

Edited by Smell the Fear

I was in the US of A a couple of years ago and was quite surprised when a day-shift supermarket 'shelf stacker' told me how much they earnt - the equivalent of £18,000 a year. You'd be getting minimum wage, or near enough, for that kind of work in the UK.

I was in the US of A a couple of years ago and was quite surprised when a day-shift supermarket 'shelf stacker' told me how much they earnt - the equivalent of £18,000 a year. You'd be getting minimum wage, or near enough, for that kind of work in the UK.

Yup...

40 hrs at min wage sof £5.05 an hour is £16968 a year

is it?

40*52 = 2080

2080*5.05 = £10504 a year?

edit: lol

The same here,,

Christ that is low..

How on gods green earth do people live on that..

and that is a 40 hour week..

we live like peasents here ...

Hey.. I live in England.. i earn above average and I have to lie about my salary to buy the smallest flat...

40*5.05*52=£10504

Reversing SarahBell's calc means there are 84 weeks in a year, lol!

To save his/her blushes I'll assume they meant US Dollars, even then the exchange rate is out a bit!

Back on topic, the article is interesting. I found it particularly interesting that it repeatedly discusses average UK salaries in the teens. Every average salary you hear of coming from a UK source says it's around £24k (a figure I have never believed).

I remember some time ago watching a documentary about the collapse of the US steel industry (I am a terrible bore sometimes). Anyways, I recall interviews with shop floor workers who were earning upwards of $40k in 1980!!! On top of this they had extremely generous medical and other benefits. It seemed unsustainable by today's standards, but clearly allowed a profit to be made for a long time prior to the collapse.

NDL

Guest Bart of Darkness

2080*5.05 = £10504 a year

This is gross of course.

Aren't US citrizens taxed less than us as well?

Having spent nearly 2 years living in the US I can tell you that most of the essential products of life are significantly cheaper than in the UK.

Food, accomodation, petrol, DVD's almost everything is cheaper. I feel that $1 buys the same as £1.

So consider that your US shelf stacker has the buying person of a much better paid person here.

I worked for a US multinational and me and my fellow UK workers also felt that our US counterparts were promoted faster and paid better. So my equivalent in the US side would be effectively paid one grade over me and have the associated higher level of status and responsibility. Many of my friends left the UK to go and work over there.

Having spent nearly 2 years living in the US I can tell you that most of the essential products of life are significantly cheaper than in the UK.

Food, accomodation, petrol, DVD's almost everything is cheaper. I feel that $1 buys the same as £1.

So consider that your US shelf stacker has the buying person of a much better paid person here.

I worked for a US multinational and me and my fellow UK workers also felt that our US counterparts were promoted faster and paid better. So my equivalent in the US side would be effectively paid one grade over me and have the associated higher level of status and responsibility. Many of my friends left the UK to go and work over there.

Hmmmm, my mother is in the last stages of a Green card app (I have many relatives over there), I worked in NY for some time too. Can't say I'm not tempted at times.

Hi,

Yes, having experience of living in Canada, France and Germany, the UK deal seems pretty rough at the moment. No, the grass is not always greener on the otherside, in that there are always that you can find less than ideal but living costs in UK - the biggest proportion housing - are at an historically unjustifiable level. I would make the same comparison you make for the CD$. Costs feel about 1:1 pound:CD$, wages in a profession about the same as London in Toronto-Montreal-Canada, property siginificantly lower (and Vancouver has a nice climate!). Property significantly cheaper, general quality, quantity of everyday things cheaper, better quality. It is the poor quality of many UK things - for the price - that is really noticeable. In france and Germany I found living costs higher than North America - but still lower or at a similar level to UK, but quality far, far superior (especially for food, entertainment and housing rents or prices), wages slightly higher, public services very good and cheaper for medical and transport.

Its not griping, but there are a few things that have to give soon in the UK and at the moment, housing is just astounding compared to the places I can compare. Astounding to anyone not living in it day to day. A colleague at work the other day was griping he was having to pay CD$200K for a HUGE condo (appartment big enough to raise a couple of kids in) in central-downtown toronto. Even on multiples, a guy in an average employment could stand a chance of getting that kind of property if they stretched. What does less than 100,000 get you in most UK cities?

I used to live in the US. You may have seen my earlier posting, but for those who missed it here's the difference between the houses friends of mine are living in, and the sh1t-holes I've been living in recently.

A friend of mine lives in Texas and he's in a similar line of work as I am, on a similar salary. When buying a home this is the type of property he has to choose from.

http://www.har.com/search/idx/DispSearch.c...ype=AWS&sTYPE=0

That $300,000 equates to around £165,331. This type of house is fairly typical for that kind of price in many parts of the US.

But look!

For the same price I could buy this beautiful second floor STUDIO flat :

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=238784

This is NOT an extreme example - this is how educated people live in the US. The UK is a joke and everyone gets it except the people who live here. Edited by HPCheese

Maybe HPC could start a campaign for better housing...more affordable AND better quality/better designed.

My particular bugbears with new housing (apart from the price) are

1) Why are we still building housing without proper parking?

2) Why does a family home need three wc's when the other rooms are so small you can't fit furniture in?

3) Why are homes still offered with appliances included (don't people realise they are paying for that washing machine for 25 yrs)?

4) Why are windows so small?

5) If there is a garage why is it too small to fit a car in?

Don't even get me started on the location and design of the estate :ph34r:

We are being ripped off and nobody complains :angry:

I used to live in the US. You may have seen my earlier posting, but for those who missed it here's the difference between the houses friends of mine are living in, and the sh1t-holes I've been living in recently.

This is NOT an extreme example - this is how educated people live in the US. The UK is a joke and everyone gets it except the people who live here.

For the same price I could buy this beautiful second floor STUDIO flat :

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=238784

Yes, that is a really nice studio flat. That is about the price of a studio in MONACO when you get back by the hills, or maybe a large studio looking over the beach in san fransico bay. Still, they don't compare to the london suburb of Ealing.

;)

Maybe HPC could start a campaign for better housing...more affordable AND better quality/better designed.

2) Why does a family home need three wc's when the other rooms are so small you can't fit furniture in?

3) Why are homes still offered with appliances included (don't people realise they are paying for that washing machine for 25 yrs)?

Don't even get me started on the location and design of the estate  :ph34r:

I'll sign that petition, but don't forget number 6) Why do new-build flats not have any storage space?

Don't even get me started on the location and design of the estate  :ph34r:

here here , well said.. :rolleyes:

LOL, I think the grass is greener.

Sure McDonals has a huge sign in the window saying they pay $10 per hr.

BUT:

The mean price home California is over 500K, and mean incomes around 60K. That is for the whole state, not just expensive areas. You do the math.

One word: Healthcare.

Edited by Karen

The difference between price and earnings is just as great in the UK but the housing stock here is pretty poor in many areas.

As for the health service..point taken but have you experienced the NHS (UK)lately :ph34r:

2080*5.05 = £10504 a year

This is gross of course.

Aren't US citrizens taxed less than us as well?

Living in California now - and I get taxed about the same as I did in the UK (once you add everything up - FICA, Fed, State etc) believe it or not. Sales tax is 8.25% too. Varies from state-to-state though.

You get bog-all for it. And medical expenses are frighteningly high - I'm young and healthy and get scared by the cost of the few things I need occasionally.

Supermarket workers in the US are unionised - that's why they get such a high rate of pay. It's dying though - big strikes in CA supermarkets last year as they tried to cut salaries.

See this link to see where Britain fairs in the GDP table.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbo...r/2004rank.html

The list is great evidence of how pathetic a measure GDP is of wealth.

Quality of life is much higher in many countries ranking below the UK in that list.

What is wealth if not quality of life? It certainly ain't GDP!!