House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JMcLane

House Price Slump Saves Thief From Jail -

http://www.mortgagesolutions-online.com/mortgage-solutions/news/1814184/house-price-slump-saves-thief-jail

A career thief who was ordered to pay £50,000 in compensation has been spared prison after he could not sell his house following the property slump

Sometimes I can not believe what I read.... :blink:

Dean McEvilly stole property including car stereos and sat navs worth £180,000 over a six year period to fund his drug habit.

ADVERTISEMENT

He was ordered to sell his home to raise £50,000 at a proceeds of crime hearing last October at Bolton Crown Court or face 18 months in jail, according to the Daily Mail.

However, McEvilly was given a reprieve from his jail sentence after pleading with the court that could not raise the money because his house, which he inherited from his father, had fallen dramatically in value.

McEvilly said the terraced house in Bolton, Greater Manchester, had been worth £95,000 a few years ago, but he has only received two cash offers of £40,000 since putting the house on the market. These he has turned down because it was not enough to pay off his debt.

The court has decided to give McEvilly an extra three months to pay his debt and cut the bill to £38,000. <-- this sickens me.

However, if he fails to pay, McEvilly will face going to prison and he will still owe the money to the court upon his release.

McEvilly said: "The house means a lot to me because it was my dad's, but I know it has got to be sold."

He added: "I would go to prison for five or 10 years if it meant I could keep the house. I feel like I have already paid my debt to society; I have spent time in prison for my crimes and got longer sentences because I was unable to pay compensation."

McEvilly intends to sell the house to one of the cash buyers and, if that fails, it will go to auction in December.

http://www.mortgagesolutions-online.com/mortgage-solutions/news/1814184/house-price-slump-saves-thief-jail

A career thief who was ordered to pay £50,000 in compensation has been spared prison after he could not sell his house following the property slump

Sometimes I can not believe what I read.... :blink:

Dean McEvilly stole property including car stereos and sat navs worth £180,000 over a six year period to fund his drug habit.

ADVERTISEMENT

He was ordered to sell his home to raise £50,000 at a proceeds of crime hearing last October at Bolton Crown Court or face 18 months in jail, according to the Daily Mail.

However, McEvilly was given a reprieve from his jail sentence after pleading with the court that could not raise the money because his house, which he inherited from his father, had fallen dramatically in value.

McEvilly said the terraced house in Bolton, Greater Manchester, had been worth £95,000 a few years ago, but he has only received two cash offers of £40,000 since putting the house on the market. These he has turned down because it was not enough to pay off his debt.

The court has decided to give McEvilly an extra three months to pay his debt and cut the bill to £38,000. <-- this sickens me.

However, if he fails to pay, McEvilly will face going to prison and he will still owe the money to the court upon his release.

McEvilly said: "The house means a lot to me because it was my dad's, but I know it has got to be sold."

He added: "I would go to prison for five or 10 years if it meant I could keep the house. I feel like I have already paid my debt to society; I have spent time in prison for my crimes and got longer sentences because I was unable to pay compensation."

McEvilly intends to sell the house to one of the cash buyers and, if that fails, it will go to auction in December.

Tbh it is kind of fair, they based how much comp he would pay on the fact that he owned property. Thinking that he'd get over 50k for selling it.

Since he couldnt it negated the point of him paying 50k. So they lowered it to just below what he could get for it, though it might have been better to set it at whatever the property sold at with a minimum limit.

Simples seize the house add it to the Social Housing pool.

Chuck this lowlife scum into gaol for the rest of his natural.

Why does prison cost so much? We have a huge number of uninhabited islands in the Western Hebrides. We could shunt them all out there with a few tools and crops and the like and tell them to get on with it.....

Simples seize the house add it to the Social Housing pool.

Chuck this lowlife scum into gaol for the rest of his natural.

Why does prison cost so much? We have a huge number of uninhabited islands in the Western Hebrides. We could shunt them all out there with a few tools and crops and the like and tell them to get on with it.....

Because loads are now privately owned and the profits shunted off-shore to all the hidden owners behind the Ltd facade!

Edited by erranta