House Price Crash Forum

Bbc News Is Asking For Readers' "views And Experiences" On "falling House Prices"

danlee74

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11638433

I have just put my thoughts into the comments box and clicked "Send" ... where are they all stored?! I thought I would have been sent to a page to read everyone else's comments but no, and I cannot seem to find where my comments have gone!!!! Help!

If you are interested, here are my thoughts (I Copy and Pasted it before sending, just in case my laptop had a "moment"!):

*** SNIP

I am a 36 year old single first time buyer with a reasonable [currently depreciating due to the inflation rate being above the average savings rate] savings pot. Whilst I am happy that house prices have dropped 0.7% in the month it is quite evident that house prices are still 30-40% overvalued in comparison with the average wage. Until this gap is closed either by wage increases, falling prices or most likely a combination of the two I will stay out of the currently insane housing market and continue sharing renting, continue saving.

This situation was caused by lax lending by foolish banks with a bonus motive to feckless "get rich quick" individuals who looked at a house not as a home, but as a cash cow for mortgage equity withdrawal to fund living the high life, cars, holidays, shopping and this is unsustainable in the long run. It is not a question of when this pyramid scheme collapses, but when and will it be managed.

Most householders will not be affected by house price drops - for example those who have lived sensibly and within their means, who are mortgage free or have a manageable outstanding sum. It is only recent [in my opinion, foolish] housebuyers, those who overstretched or even lied to get a mortgage ('liar loans' anyone?), those on interest only or 125% "deals", and those buy to letters who do not have a credible and well thought out business plan. Is it really worth putting ourselves through a Japan-style lost decade (where wages creep up as house prices creep down until finally they meet in the middle) for this small percentage of the population, or would it be best to burst the housing bubble quickly, let those responsible for the situation take and deal with the pain and in a shorter time recover our economy?

High house prices have made UK Ltd increasingly uncompetitive in the global arena - our wages have to be high to pay our mortgages or rents, with very little if any money left for discretionary spend within the real economy. What needs to happen is for house prices to fall quickly and substantially, then stabilise at a reasonable level, and then use the tax system to prevent housing speculation so that first time buyers can always access the starter homes at sensible price levels. Whether or not this will be allowed to happen with so many vested interests with those in power (media commentators/politicians etc) remains to be seen.

Regards.

*** END OF SNIP

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

They have a few different systems.

The one you have just sounds like the comments one where they may or may not selectively show them later.

There are blogs which do have what you expect.

They like to censor.

Cheers cica, TMT ... it will be interesting to see if the comments get to see the light of day!!

Did anyone else comment on the BBC story?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

BBC News is asking for readers' "views and experiences" on "falling house prices":

Have you been affected by falling house prices? Are you a first-time buyer pleased by this news? You can send us your views and experiences using the form below .

Form at the bottom of this web-page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11638433

Let's get writing people! :)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I have noticed a shift of late in the media from thinking that high house prices are a good thing, to wondering whether they are in the interest of FTBs.

I don't think it is particularly FTBers but any buyers....when the turnover of buying and selling homes grinds to a halt it affects the economy as a whole....buying and selling, renovation and simply making a house into a home creates many jobs....when homes become beyond reach due to excessive prices we all feel the consequences....we need a kick start, lower prices will help do this. ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Naa... they're just looking for a human interest sob story.

Tell 'em you borrowed 20x your salary to buy a 1 bed hovel and now you're in negative equity.. cry every night, can't afford new shoes for the kids etc.. that'll get you on the box ;)

No, they will just say there are so many thousands in that same boat that they need summat unusual to report. :D

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

This should be fun.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house.

They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

I can't afford to buy a house as, although I earn more than average, I would still need a 5x mortgage to buy a bedsit, and would need an entire years income for the deposit.

I was born into a life where I was destined to pay off a landlords mortgage for them so they can retire in comfort, and arrive at retirement myself with nothing to show for a life of work.

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Why does everyone expect to be able to own their own home?

I don't expect to drive a flashy car, or go on fabulous exotic holidays, or have even decent health.

If you want something and you cannot afford it, you need to go and work, earn the money to pay for it.

This absurd belief that it is a God given right is nuts.

Yes alright you luvvies will say food and shelter are a basis human need and right. Of course they are. But OWNING the shelter is not and our benefits system ensures nobody starves.

HOLA4419

Why does everyone expect to be able to own their own home?

I don't expect to drive a flashy car, or go on fabulous exotic holidays, or have even decent health.

If you want something and you cannot afford it, you need to go and work, earn the money to pay for it.

This absurd belief that it is a God given right is nuts.

Yes alright you luvvies will say food and shelter are a basis human need and right. Of course they are. But OWNING the shelter is not and our benefits system ensures nobody starves.

Most of the cost of a British house is consequence of planning restrictions, not actual building + land cost.

It is both evil and stupid. See my sig. below.

HOLA4420

Most of the cost of a British house is consequence of planning restrictions, not actual building + land cost.

It is both evil and stupid. See my sig. below.

You have avoided answering my question which is "why do people feel it is their right to own a home?" Yes of course everyone needs shelter and food.

Whether more land was available and the cost of housing cheaper/more affordable, it still fails to address the question of why people expect to own.

The luvvies on here say that Thatcher selling off Council housing was wrong, but in their next breath they say everyone should have the right to own. I wish they would make up their minds.

As for your sig - it is rather silly.

HOLA4421

You have avoided answering my question which is "why do people feel it is their right to own a home?" Yes of course everyone needs shelter and food.

Whether more land was available and the cost of housing cheaper/more affordable, it still fails to address the question of why people expect to own.

The luvvies on here say that Thatcher selling off Council housing was wrong, but in their next breath they say everyone should have the right to own. I wish they would make up their minds.

:P

HOLA4422

Do you own a house? your home?

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Do you own a house?

I have a house and pay a mortgage.

I started with nothing. It took me 3 years to save for the deposit and bought with a friend.

Due to the ever increasing prices I found myself getting deeper into debt and finally lost everything when interest rates hit 15% in 1991.

I started again.

I don't like high house prices, they are not good for the soul, family, neighbourhood or country. I curse the fools who lent money to people who have no ability to repay and who have profiteered from their actions, subsequently finacially salvaged by the taxpayer and future generations.

But I am under no illusion. I have no more right to own than the next man. I paid my money and chose my way of life. It is grossly unfair for the current youngsters that their choices will be so greatly limited. Sadly many will need to seek an alternative life in lands elsewhere.

I agree with you the planning system is absurd. I deal with the wretched duplitious planners almost daily. But equally we cannot have a Crays Hill popping up everywhere.

HOLA4425

I have a house and pay a mortgage.

I started with nothing. It took me 3 years to save for the deposit and bought with a friend.

Due to the ever increasing prices I found myself getting deeper into debt and finally lost everything when interest rates hit 15% in 1991.

I started again.

I don't like high house prices, they are not good for the soul, family, neighbourhood or country. I curse the fools who lent money to people who have no ability to repay and who have profiteered from their actions, subsequently finacially salvaged by the taxpayer and future generations.

But I am under no illusion. I have no more right to own than the next man. I paid my money and chose my way of life. It is grossly unfair for the current youngsters that their choices will be so greatly limited. Sadly many will need to seek an alternative life in lands elsewhere.

I agree with you the planning system is absurd. I deal with the wretched duplitious planners almost daily. But equally we cannot have a Crays Hill popping up everywhere.

Settled.