House Price Crash Forum
exiges

Good Project Idea

Is there an index out there which shows the difference between asking price and sold price ?

I know there's Rightmove for showing asking prices, and Propertybee which gives you historical pricing for those houses.

What would be good is to cross reference that somehow with how much these houses actually sold for to give a true indication of reductions achieved.

Is there an index out there which shows the difference between asking price and sold price ?

I know there's Rightmove for showing asking prices, and Propertybee which gives you historical pricing for those houses.

What would be good is to cross reference that somehow with how much these houses actually sold for to give a true indication of reductions achieved.

You can make your own index from the relative difference between the rightmove index and your sold price index of choice. There are offsets because they build their baskets differently, but the relative shift in that should give you an idea of the "over-pricing index".

Try RMs price comparison report - it shows the RM advert and the land reg price it sold for (if it did). Can't link (stupid old IE) but look on RMs front page (menu opens up if you hover over house prices at the top).

That's a statistician's job: data gathering and analysis. I'd expect it to be disproportionately expensive for someone without their own dataset as startingpoint.

If you just do it by comparing rightmove to AN Other, you'll get results that are a whole lot more meaningless than any of the indexes taken alone.

That's a statistician's job: data gathering and analysis. I'd expect it to be disproportionately expensive for someone without their own dataset as startingpoint.

If you just do it by comparing rightmove to AN Other, you'll get results that are a whole lot more meaningless than any of the indexes taken alone.

Does anyone have any other ideas about interesting data analysis that could be done with publically available housing data?

I am looking for a side project to hack on.

Does anyone have any other ideas about interesting data analysis that could be done with publically available housing data?

I am looking for a side project to hack on.

In 2005 I wrote something to scrape the lr data and calculate the current rate of HPI based on the same properties selling more than once. It was quite an interesting project, and showed that house prices were increasing at about 7%/year... I scrapped it as I thought those numbers were wrong. Actually, they seemed to be predictive.

I've lost the code, and I'm too busy to re-do it though :(

Apparently the LR data is based on a similar methodology these days.