House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Cryptic Addresses - Artist Puts The Rm To The Test

We may be living in the era of the email, but one young illustrator has proved that the art of correspondence is far from dead. While working for her degree at Glasgow School of Art Harriet Russell decided to find out exactly what lengths the men and women of the Royal Mail were willing to go to to ensure the safe delivery of her missives.

To put them to the test she concealed the addresses of 130 letters to herself in a series of increasingly complex puzzles and ciphers. Among the disguises she employed were dot-to-dot drawings, anagrams and cartoons. The answer, it seems, was very far indeed. Amazingly, only 10 failed to complete their journey back to her.

In another pleasing twist to the story, Ms Russell was unwittingly resurrecting a family tradition first begun by her great-great grandfather Henry Ponsonby, a private secretary to Queen Victoria and a veteran of the Crimean War. This eminent forebear embellished letters to his children at Eton with a series of illustrations in which he concealed the school's address. It was a family quirk continued by his son, Arthur Ponsonby, a pacifist who went on to be Labour MP for Sheffield Brightside before his elevation to the House of Lords.

However, neither quite set about their task with the degree of invention employed by their 21st-century descendant who over the course of a year went to ever greater lengths to disguise her address.

These, it seemed gripped the imagination of Clydeside Royal Mail sorting workers as much as they did their author. Now the results of this unique and anonymous collaboration form the basis of a new book, Envelopes: A Puzzling Journey Through the Royal Mail, published by Allison & Busby, and hotly tipped as a stocking-filler hit this Christmas.

Ms Russell, 31, who now works from a studio in Wapping, east London, confesses that she had no idea her family had preceded her when it came to teasing the postman. She also admits she is no great letter writer, preferring to communicate by email: all the envelopes she sent contained nothing but blank sheets of paper.

She said: "It is an odd coincidence. We used to get a lot of wrongly addressed mail sent to our home, which was Shulbrede Priory in Surrey and that got me thinking about the postal system. The first one started as an experiment to see if it could get through."

Among the initial batch of envelopes was a letter with the address written in mirror writing. But it was not until sorting office staff forwarded one in which her street name and number were the answer to a series of crossword clues that she realised someone was taking their job very seriously indeed. Especially when the letter eventually flopped on to her mat with the boxes filled in and bearing the proud message: "Solved by the Glasgow Mail Centre."

She admits there were times when she worried that she might be in trouble for wasting Royal Mail time but still the letters continued to find their way back. "I was really quite amazed. I didn't know who was doing it. I imagined there was a small group of them and I think they must have caught on because a lot of them were to the same address." The identities of the sleuthing Royal Mail staff have never been established and Ms Russell, who also counts Hubert Parry, the composer of "Jerusalem" among her illustrious forebears, believes it is most likely they have moved on.

"I have never spoken to anyone and no one has come forward," she said. "But it is clear they were taking part and involving themselves in it."

The book, with its periodic tables, colour-blindness test and eye-chart addresses has already caused something of a stir in the United States although it is expected to do even better in the UK. The Bookseller has already described it as "a little treasure waiting to be discovered".

Ms Russell said: "I started out not knowing anything about my relatives doing this so my family dug out some of their old letters to show me."

For his part, Henry Ponsonby preferred whimsy to ciphers and cryptic clues. His letters bore addresses appearing as doodled signposts in snowstorms or as huge envelopes shouldered by tiny people.

Out of 130 sent, only 10 failed to be delivered..that's fairly impressive...

letter3_59481s.jpg

letter2_59482a.jpg

letter1_59483a.jpg

letter4_59486s.jpg

letter5_59485s.jpg

letter6_59484s.jpg

Fascinating but with 130 sent I am pretty sure that even the chimps at the RM would have noticed a pattern fairly early on and been able to guess which address anything odd was for.

The post office has quite an impressive track record of delivery.

I recollect some years ago, I was visiting the parents when a card arrived from my brother. He was in Pakistan at the time, and had addressed it in Urdu script. Some words in the greeting about it being a challenge to the post office. Someone at the post office had translated it correctly in English, and added a reply to the challenge.

At the same time, they regularly misdirected domestic mail. The parents address at the time was "[house, road], Horam, Heathfield, Sussex, [postcode]". Most(?) of their mail would be misdirected to Horsham, and as an alternative it would occasionally go to Henfield, both in Sussex. Clearly they were ignoring the postcode.

Evidently they needed a challenge. Clear and easy addresses are for losers :unsure:

Those examples have all or part of the postcode in there - once they've got to roughly the right sorting office, then it's not so bad from there I would think...

I once tried to have a magazine subscription from the states - it only lasted one edition or various other reasons, but the one they did send, the address was very incomplete.

They'd got my surname, the street name (named after a local village) as the town, and UK on the envelope. That was it, nothing else - no county, no house number...

Scribbled in handwriting on the front of the envelope was the first part of our postcode followed by a question mark, but sure enough it got to me!

Those examples have all or part of the postcode in there - once they've got to roughly the right sorting office, then it's not so bad from there I would think...

I once tried to have a magazine subscription from the states - it only lasted one edition or various other reasons, but the one they did send, the address was very incomplete.

They'd got my surname, the street name (named after a local village) as the town, and UK on the envelope. That was it, nothing else - no county, no house number...

Scribbled in handwriting on the front of the envelope was the first part of our postcode followed by a question mark, but sure enough it got to me!

Yep, that's what I thought...If they'd put the postcode in last least phonetically, it would have made it slightly more challenging....actually, I wonder what would happen if you had put the whole address in morse code or semaphore?