House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sharpe

Marketing Literature Different From Final Contract

We are in process of negotiating for a rental house. The marketing literature said it included a 4 bedrooms, a garage and a gardener (- we have never had a gardener before, but in principle it would save time mowing the lawn each week). On this basis we put in an offer and this was accepted. We then paid £365 to the estate agent to get our references draw up a contract and inventory.

On receiving the contract there is no gardener included. my wife queried this with the estate agent who said that since the landlord is agreeing to us having a vegetable patch there would be no gardener. I said I am happy to have no gardener, for £20 a month off the rent. The estate agent said the landlord would not negotiate.

I told the estate agent we had made an offer in good faith and that they had advertised something falsely. She said we could get our £365 if the deal falls through.

It is probably a minor issue and we should just take the place - but it just annoyed the hell out of me that landlords can just lie like this. Maybe next there is no garage.

The other issue is the house is on the market for sale.

Would appreciate your views - would you take the place?

Avoid. There is every evidence that the LL is a twit. This guy is likely to just cause you grief.

Edited to add: Interesting. The filter replaced an "a" with an "i" in the second sentence. I really did mean "a," by the way.

Edited by Tiger Woods?

Avoid. Only rent from long term (for life) landlords. Never rent from anyone that would consider selling. People that consider selling don't care about the property or the tenant.

We are in process of negotiating for a rental house. The marketing literature said it included a 4 bedrooms, a garage and a gardener (- we have never had a gardener before, but in principle it would save time mowing the lawn each week). On this basis we put in an offer and this was accepted. We then paid £365 to the estate agent to get our references draw up a contract and inventory.

On receiving the contract there is no gardener included. my wife queried this with the estate agent who said that since the landlord is agreeing to us having a vegetable patch there would be no gardener. I said I am happy to have no gardener, for £20 a month off the rent. The estate agent said the landlord would not negotiate.

I told the estate agent we had made an offer in good faith and that they had advertised something falsely. She said we could get our £365 if the deal falls through.

It is probably a minor issue and we should just take the place - but it just annoyed the hell out of me that landlords can just lie like this. Maybe next there is no garage.

No, wouldn't touch it, not worth the hassle.

Totally agree with this, take your money and get away from there.

thanks for all your advice and despite the fact I agree with it; we have taken the place and the LL has agreed to provide a lawnmower. it turned out to be a patient where my GFsometimes works and supposed to be a good bloke. the other issue is there are zero other places to rent near cirencester, the house is also coming off for sale.

will probably get punished for this decision; it is an 18 month contract, by which time I am hoping house prices for 3 bed place are affordable.

does anyone know if there is a tenant union in the UK?

does anyone know if there is a tenant union in the UK?

Not that I know of. There damn well ought to be one, though - Power to the people! :DB)

Good luck in the new house.

the other issue is there are zero other places to rent near cirencester.

63 rental results on Rightmove would suggest not.

Good luck with your first problem with the landlord. You say he is a good bloke yet the whole thread was about him lying....