House Price Crash Forum
mightytharg

Should I Buy In Hackney?

Hackney has large parks, well-appointed houses and is walking distance to the city. It looks like it was built for the middle classes, but for some reason turned into a scum-hole.

As the housing benefit drops and the scroungers are forced out, it seems like it could be reclaimed by its rightful inhabitants, who can turn it back into a prosperous, thriving place.

What do you think, is Hackney the part of London that will benefit most from the cuts? Which other areas will improve?

Hackney has large parks, well-appointed houses and is walking distance to the city. It looks like it was built for the middle classes, but for some reason turned into a scum-hole.

As the housing benefit drops and the scroungers are forced out, it seems like it could be reclaimed by its rightful inhabitants, who can turn it back into a prosperous, thriving place.

What do you think, is Hackney the part of London that will benefit most from the cuts? Which other areas will improve?

The area will probably improve; the prices won't.

Should I buy in Hackney?

No, ‘cause it’s a shithole.

Some parts of London are (relatively) cheap and nasty, like Sydenham or Walthamstow; some parts are expensive and nice, like Muswell Hill or Dulwich; but some are expensive and nasty, like Hackney. It always struck me as the worst possible value for money. You might find other opinions in the London subforum, though.

hackney was the last place to get the boom in prices for a reason, it's got no tube, it's a LONG walk to the city, it's rough, you're likely to get mugged, you're unlikely to want to raise children there, when the SHTF hackney will be a hell hole IMO, it's already pretty lawless. A friend of mine lives in a lovely big terrace in a nice pocket of middle classness surrounded by a ghetto. I wouldn't.

hackney was the last place to get the boom in prices for a reason, it's got no tube, it's a LONG walk to the city, it's rough, you're likely to get mugged, you're unlikely to want to raise children there, when the SHTF hackney will be a hell hole IMO, it's already pretty lawless. A friend of mine lives in a lovely big terrace in a nice pocket of middle classness surrounded by a ghetto. I wouldn't.

Sounds like Dulwich... :unsure:

Heard a HA woman on the phone today saying places like Hackney had gone up in price because housing associations had spent lots of money restoring property and now the big, bad, nasty rich people were coming to steal the places from them and price them out. Proper warped thinking. I do think Hackney will stay gentrified. The only area of London I can think of that has started to gentrify but never really got there is Streatham.

Like my Mum used to say, "the worst type of snob is a working-class snob".

A friend of mine lives in a lovely big terrace in a nice pocket of middle classness surrounded by a ghetto

This describes pretty much anywhere in London.

Hackney is OK. I've lived there for 17 years, never had any trouble, nice big houses, close to work, silly prices though - and they still are changing hands for silly money. A lot cheaper than the uber trendy Islington, and quite frankly no different. Though I am somewhere to the right of M Thatcher, I have to admit that the (Labour) council seem reasonably sane, and their rubbish collection (in particular) is exemplary.

Heard a HA woman on the phone today saying places like Hackney had gone up in price because housing associations had spent lots of money restoring property and now the big, bad, nasty rich people were coming to steal the places from them and price them out. Proper warped thinking. I do think Hackney will stay gentrified. The only area of London I can think of that has started to gentrify but never really got there is Streatham.

I disagree about Streatham (or St. Reathem, for us working class snobs :P ). I lived in Greyhound Lane by Steatham Common in the early Noughties, and thought it was fine by London standards. Hackers though was always rough, even when I worked there in the late 90's. Nowadays, with runaway gang & hoody culture, it's the next Tottenham / Brixton riots just biding it's time.

I wouldn't personally. I think there are thousands of better places to live in the UK. When I hear the word 'Hackney' I think of misery and public sector gone mad.

I hear the public sector jobs pay incredibly well in that ward?

Are you one of those guys with tight jeans and pointed shoes ??

No doubt you feed the ducks in Vicky park.....

it's definately a shitehole up there with the worst parts of lambeth and southwark.

lots of crime especially yoot crime and a fair few bikejackings as there are lots of student/trendy cyclists wanting to live there as it's cheap and close to their playground in shoreditch/hoxton. i believe the technical term is 'edgy'

it's definately a shitehole up there with the worst parts of lambeth and southwark.

lots of crime especially yoot crime and a fair few bikejackings as there are lots of student/trendy cyclists wanting to live there as it's cheap and close to their playground in shoreditch/hoxton. i believe the technical term is 'edgy'

Funny thing Hackneys had a lot of positive press recently. Hackney Downs school was raised to the ground and rebuilt and is apparently thriving as an academy.

Obviously the Olympics effect is a positive but check unemployment in the area and sales of High strength lager. Dianne Abbot as MP is a weird one. Sends her kids to a school outside of the area and reckons shes got her constituents support! WTF

Would I live there? No but it does seem to be improving but the starting base was very very low.

agreed. some locals attempted to bikejack a friend of mine, and he is pretty tough. Does not make any difference who you are in viccy park etc. everyone is a potential victim. would not move there. my friend has vowed never to ive there again(he moved out of london for a while)

You are an absolute mug if you buy anywhere in East London!

Only live there if you have to.

To live in London you must be very wealthy or have nothing, anyone in between is paying a premium. There are far better places around the UK.

I'm assuming you've never been to Hackney. I'd go there and have a look first if I were you. That will kill the idea stone dead.

For the east end of London and for somewhere faintly inhabitable that doesn't look like a complete borstal: on the Central line, you need to go out to Woodford (Zone 4) at least - it improves markedly then and it's still only about 15 minutes from Liverpool Street.

You are an absolute mug if you buy anywhere in East London!

Only live there if you have to.

To live in London you must be very wealthy or have nothing, anyone in between is paying a premium. There are far better places around the UK.

Hackney has always been the same, I would not choose to live there but the people that do must live there for a reason. I would hate to see only the rich live in London, people with money and fancy jobs coming from the outside, it can only be better for everyone that there is a diversity of people, communities and cultures. That is one of the great things about London the cosmopolitan feel about the place....the key is to blend in and that is quite easy to do. ;)

When I first moved to London in 1996, an EA told me Hackney was "up and coming". When I left London in 2005, it was still "up and coming".

I looked at a flat there in 2000 (a conversion) The weekly gun killings, barbed wire around the car park and general feel of the place was enough to put me off.

If the biggest credit and housing boom didn't gentrify it, I can't see it improving any time soon. It ain't ever going to be an Islington, of that you can be sure.

London deserves the people wo live there and vice versa.

What do you think

Hackney's OK, it's always been a bit rough round the edges, but it's certainly got worse from 11 years ago when I lived there. What it had going for it then was property was pretty cheap.

This flat, http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26856085.html was no different to the flat I had which was sold at the end of 1998 for £48k just as I was moving out (coincidentally I add). Now they want £215k for it!!!!

By contrast, the rent at the time was £115 a week. The same places rent for around £160 a week.

Hackney is going for one hell of a fall over the next few years.