House Price Crash Forum
ShedDweller

Schad Of The Day ..

So Mrs Sheddweller is at baby group with all the little Sheddwellers today. A friend of Mrs Sheddweller asked if I could come and look at the boiler in their house. The reason they asked is that I had sorted out an airlock problem for them in the past (common on oil burners usually a dodgy joint it just drips very occasionally but lets in air so the boiler won't prime) .. Apparently (Insert name of highly respected local heating engineer who is also a friend of mine) has said the boiler is beyond economic repair (Just in case you are wondering said engineer only does repairs so there is no advantage to condemn the boiler) .. Mrs SD say's tells her that if said engineer has condemned it then there is no way that I'm going to be able to fix it ..

Said friend bursts into tears ..

The story comes out ..

They rode the property bubble and ended up with an £800,000 odd house in a nice part of South Oxfordshire and the corresponding mortgage .. they have mewed to buy a BTL as an "Investment" rent on the BTL only covers about 60% of the mortgage said BTL is in London ..

They are being shafted from both ends .. the maintenance on the BTL is way way higher than they expected (I would argue that he probably knows very little about technical things .. She knows how to put twigs in a vase nothing more .. and they get shafted by every tradesman who looks at them .. They are very condecending and that does not help ..) ..

The central heating in their home packed up a fortnight ago and it was a big deal .. they have two small children and NEED central heating .. (even though they have an immersion heater and two open fires .. ).

They could not afford the new boiler and the bank would not lend them any money either .. so they had to borrow £4000 from her mother to fix the boiler ..

Then the central heating in the BTL failed spectacularly and pissed boiling water all over the floor which also destroyed the carpet .. Tenant is now in a hotel waiting for the repairs to be carried out ..

Mrs Sheddweller was treated to a treatise on how terribly unfair it all was .. That they have to pay for their TENANTS to live in a hotel while they have no central heating .. and it's not even as if the tenant is paying the real cost of the property !

I have to confess it made the nastier side of personalities day ..

So Mrs Sheddweller is at baby group with all the little Sheddwellers today. A friend of Mrs Sheddweller asked if I could come and look at the boiler in their house. The reason they asked is that I had sorted out an airlock problem for them in the past (common on oil burners usually a dodgy joint it just drips very occasionally but lets in air so the boiler won't prime) .. Apparently (Insert name of highly respected local heating engineer who is also a friend of mine) has said the boiler is beyond economic repair (Just in case you are wondering said engineer only does repairs so there is no advantage to condemn the boiler) .. Mrs SD say's tells her that if said engineer has condemned it then there is no way that I'm going to be able to fix it ..

The story comes out ..

They rode the property bubble and ended up with an £800,000 odd house in a nice part of South Oxfordshire and the corresponding mortgage .. they have mewed to buy a BTL as an "Investment" rent on the BTL only covers about 60% of the mortgage said BTL is in London ..

They are being shafted from both ends .. the maintenance on the BTL is way way higher than they expected (I would argue that he probably knows very little about technical things .. She knows how to put twigs in a vase nothing more .. and they get shafted by every tradesman who looks at them .. They are very condecending and that does not help ..) ..

The central heating in their home packed up a fortnight ago and it was a big deal .. they have two small children and NEED central heating .. (even though they have an immersion heater and two open fires .. ).

They could not afford the new boiler and the bank would not lend them any money either .. so they had to borrow £4000 from her mother to fix the boiler ..

Then the central heating in the BTL failed spectacularly and pissed boiling water all over the floor which also destroyed the carpet .. Tenant is now in a hotel waiting for the repairs to be carried out ..

Mrs Sheddweller was treated to a treatise on how terribly unfair it all was .. That they have to pay for their TENANTS to live in a hotel while they have no central heating .. and it's not even as if the tenant is paying the real cost of the property !

sounds like they are a landlord I'd like to be a tenant of.

The story comes out ..

Good news, I will sleep well tonight. "BTL muppets doing the muppet dance!"

Pay back's a bitch aint it!

Spiney.

They could not afford the new boiler

Why are water heaters referred to as 'boilers' ? If they really boiled the water, high pressure steam would force a jet of boiling water and steam out of the taps and if you kept them turned off the pipes would burst or the hot water cylinder would explode.

Edited by blankster

At least they seem nice albeit naive landlords. Most landlords probably would have tried to blame the tenant for the ruined carpet and keep the deposit, never mind putting them up in a hotel.

Edited by blackgoose

I cannot understand anybody paying £800k for an house.

For a mansion, maybe.

It is over £300 a week for 50 years, without interest.

Even in the UK you could live in a hotel for less and have your own personal servants.

Albeit in a travellodge.

I feel sorry for these people, enslaved by their own aspirations, with a banking cartel able to remove it from them at the click of a mouse.

Edited by Unemployed Youth

At least they seem nice albeit naive landlords. Most landlords probably would have tried to blame the tenant for the ruined carpet and keep the deposit, never mind putting them up in a hotel.

Not in the present rental market they don't. Tenant is a lawyer who knows his rights .. No boiler = not habitable .. Landlord has a duty to provide habitable accommodation to tenant ..

Why are water heaters referred to as 'boilers' ? If they really boiled the water, high pressure steam would force a jet of boiling water and steam out of the taps and if you kept them turned off the pipes would burst or the hot water cylinder would explode.

I believe that in this case this is what happened ..

Not in the present rental market they don't. Tenant is a lawyer who knows his rights .. No boiler = not habitable .. Landlord has a duty to provide habitable accommodation to tenant ..

Of course if they had a BTL insurance policy that would pay for the hotel rooms.

Enslaved by their own aspirations.

Oh I do like that, may have to quote in the future.

Spiney.

Edited by spiney

Of course if they had a BTL insurance policy that would pay for the hotel rooms.

+1

Of course that would mean going "official" on the BTL. Paying tax and stuff.

Tenant seems to be trying it on.

I'm pretty sure a property isn't unfit for habitation if it doesn't have a working boiler. Tenant might be enitled to a rent reduction.

Tenant seems to be trying it on.

I'm pretty sure a property isn't unfit for habitation if it doesn't have a working boiler. Tenant might be enitled to a rent reduction.

Without getting into the Housing Act, (and thus this is an interpretation, rather than just quoting law at you) the requirements used to determine fitness for habitation are:

* it is structurally stable;

* it is free from serious disrepair;

* it is free from dampness prejudicial to the health of the occupants (if any);

* it has adequate provision for lighting, heating and ventilation;

* it has an adequate piped supply of wholesome water

* there are satisfactory facilities in the dwelling for the preparation and cooking of food, including a sink with a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water;

* it has a suitably located water closet for the exclusive use of the occupants (if any);

* it has, for the exclusive use of the occupants (if any), a suitably located fixed bath or shower and a wash hand basin each of which is provided with a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water; and

* it has an effective system for the draining of foul water and surface water.

Edited by JJJ

The story comes out ..

They wanted Yin and forgot about Yang.

* it has, for the exclusive use of the occupants (if any), a suitably located fixed bath or shower and a wash hand basin each of which is provided with a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water; and

thanks

I've always had a standard boiler and hot water cylinder with an immerison heater that heats the water when the boiler's playing up but I suppose if you have a combi boiler then you really are in a horrible situation with no means to heat hot water for a bath or shower. I could probably manage for two or three days but any longer would be pretty awful. Unless there's an electric shower, they're very common in houses with combi boilers.

I suppose she fell for that dubious line Estate Agents are/were using to sell properties i.e. an excellent investment opportunity. Fine, it's an investment which means it can go up and it can go DOWN. So tell the bint to shut up and accept the gamble she took and the small part she took in preventing me from buying a house (as well as the loss of my job).

They'll probably get a friggin government bail out if she cries to the right people.

rent on the BTL only covers about 60% of the mortgage

This always winds me up...

Buy-to-Letters always claim that they have bought a second house as an investment - as a pension.

Fair enough I suppose.

But if I or anyone else takes out a meaningful pension I expect to pay £200 -£300 per month into it. So why do BTLers expect the rent received to cover the mortgage?

Surely they should expect to have to fund a shortfall of at least a couple of hundred a month if they are highly geared...

...after all, it is their pension!

Why do otherwise decent people all turn into total c*nts as soon as they become landlords?

Edited by Mr Yogi

Off on a tangent... my the landlords worcester bosch heatslave 15 19 boiler failed on me last Friday and was fixed Monday morning (pump and motor). So over the weekend (cold snap) I put an oil filled electric heater in the bedroom and one in the living room. Both were set at 400watts and heated the rooms just as well as the central heating. My neighbour told me that they (and the street) use an average of two £400 oil fills per annum add the annual service/repair/maintenance/replacement boilers £300 (best guess) thats £1,150 I actually think it could be cheaper to go electric :blink:

Off on a tangent... my the landlords worcester bosch heatslave 15 19 boiler failed on me last Friday and was fixed Monday morning (pump and motor). So over the weekend (cold snap) I put an oil filled electric heater in the bedroom and one in the living room. Both were set at 400watts and heated the rooms just as well as the central heating. My neighbour told me that they (and the street) use an average of two £400 oil fills per annum add the annual service/repair/maintenance/replacement boilers £300 (best guess) thats £1,150 I actually think it could be cheaper to go electric :blink:

My experience is that we spend about £600 a year on heating oil .. (three bed wooden house (hence shed) with good insulation but bad windows .. ) I have always found any kind of electric heating to be a financial disaster ... (except for some people who live in a water mill ! ..) The advantage of oil heating (Humble opinion) is how fast it will heat up the freezing house after you have had the heating off .. Use oil filled rad's (which are good I grant you) after the house has been empty with the heating off for a week .. in sub zero temperatures .. The Oil will have the house toasty in 20 mins ..

My experience is that we spend about £600 a year on heating oil .. (three bed wooden house (hence shed) with good insulation but bad windows .. ) I have always found any kind of electric heating to be a financial disaster ... (except for some people who live in a water mill ! ..) The advantage of oil heating (Humble opinion) is how fast it will heat up the freezing house after you have had the heating off .. Use oil filled rad's (which are good I grant you) after the house has been empty with the heating off for a week .. in sub zero temperatures .. The Oil will have the house toasty in 20 mins ..

Thank you, duly noted :)

Bit of a cheek asking for technical help here, but ..

I'm concerned about the state of an empty house. It's too far away for me to go and check it every time there's a frost, but we're worried about leaving the central heating on all winter, not least because of the cost. Would oil-filled radiators be relatively cheap to buy and run? Can they safely be left alone for a couple of weeks? Draining the system down doesn't seem viable, since when we are visiting it to do maintenance etc we need hot water, and we are hoping to put it on the market soon (when red tape sorted out, and IF it doesn't seem better to wait until spring) and having the water turned off makes a very bad impression!

db

Bit of a cheek asking for technical help here, but ..

I'm concerned about the state of an empty house. It's too far away for me to go and check it every time there's a frost, but we're worried about leaving the central heating on all winter, not least because of the cost. Would oil-filled radiators be relatively cheap to buy and run? Can they safely be left alone for a couple of weeks? Draining the system down doesn't seem viable, since when we are visiting it to do maintenance etc we need hot water, and we are hoping to put it on the market soon (when red tape sorted out, and IF it doesn't seem better to wait until spring) and having the water turned off makes a very bad impression!

db

Can't you find someone to house-sit rent-free on condition they pay the electricity/gas bills for the duration? Karma + problem sorted!