Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Agreed. What's the plan ?

Strange though, because I always thought IDS as a sane person pushing through common sense plans.

Quite why he'd do a U-turn is a mystery.

Not just that, but looks like much of the new scheme is in place ready to roll.

Or maybe he's not as thick as he looks and has realised that capping HB won't actually save any money?

HOLA448

From Iain Dale's blog, he's on LBC from 7pm to 10pm every weekday and is obviously on our wavelength

I just received this from a reader, which I thought I'd share with you...
Iain,

Maybe I shouldn't get so worked up about these things but I do.

I've lived in London since I graduated and worked damn hard to be able to afford to be able to live here, in relatively nice accommodation, but nowhere near the centre of town (I've lived in Ealing, Hammersmith, Shepherds Bush and Fulham in my 6 years here).

I now see claims from people like Simon Hughes regarding the 'draconian' nature of only giving people £400pw to spend on a 4 bed property in London and hear all the tales of the ghettoisation of the poor and the segregation of society.

To start with, a quick look on gumtree shows no shortage of 4+ bedroom properties in London. Yes, they might not be in Kensington but why should they be? I doubt I will ever be able to afford to live in Kensington at any point and I earn a great deal more than the median wage mentioned as the cap. Just because people on benefits can't live in central London doesn't mean they all have to congrigate in one big ghetto. Here's what you can get for £400, all advertised in the public domain, I can provide links if needs be:

Putney: 4 bedroom flat located in a desirable area of Putney. The property benefits from 4 double bedrooms , 2 bathrooms and private balcony. The property has been Renovated last year and is in very good condition. Close to Transport link (East Putney tube station and Putney Rail) and shops. To Arrange a viewing please call our letting team (£365pw)

Brentford: well maintained four bedroom semi detached house with garden in sought after location of Brentford - Enfield Road. The property on the ground floor consists of huge living room with fireplace and dining section, conservatory leading to low maintenance garden with shed, fitted kitchen, roomy bathroom with whirlpool bath. Upstairs there is a master bedroom with fitted wardrobes, single bedroom with roof terrace and two additional bedrooms (one is a loft room). The house benefits from double glazing, real wood flooring through and gas central heating. There is parking available on the street. (£356pw)

Lewisham: An absolutely superb opportunity to rent this luxurious house situated in the much sought after residential road. Being extremely spacious , the property comprises: security video entry system, welcoming entrance hallway, superbly designed lounge and dining room, luxury fitted kitchen with granite worktops and built in appliances, study, guest cloakroom, master bedroom with ensuite bathroom having fabulous fitted bathroom and dressing room, second double bedroom with ensuite shower room. (£400pw)

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

Next, the cap of £400pw is the equivalent of £1,738pcm or £20,857pa. I'm pretty sure that someone earning the median wage wouldn't be able to afford that amount after taxation is applied to their £26,000, let alone living costs. But to make someone out of work rent for such an amount is 'draconian'? Do me a favour.

I really can't believe the furore over this and in fact if anything the furore should be produced over the amount that is still being offered when people who have worked pretty damn hard can't afford a place themselves as rentals are kept artificially high in London due to DSS/housing benefits paying these amounts.

Maybe I've missed something but it still seems pretty extravagent to me

Best regards

XXXXX

Well he certainly makes some good points, doesn't he?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Ministers are adamant there will be no concessions on the principles of the reform bit the Department of Communities and Local Government is to grant £10m from its homelessness budget to local councils' funds to ease the consequences of the change.

The money will go to councils' "discretionary funds" - a pot of money that councils can use for special cases. This is not just expected to be used in London, the BBC understands.

So for example, if a family's rent was more than £400 but one of their children attended a local special school, the council could, at their discretion, allow the family to stay in that accommodation and keep paying a higher rate.

sounds reasonable to be honest

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

No change to HB plan, according to Cameron.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11633163

........David Cameron has insisted the government is sticking to planned housing benefit cuts after Labour claimed the policy was in disarray........

...Some Lib Dem and Tory MPs are calling for the planned cap on housing benefit, of £400 a week, to be dropped.

But Mr Cameron, speaking at prime minister's questions in the Commons, said it was not fair for working people to see their taxes used to fund homes "they couldn't even dream of"..

...And he stressed that the government was "going forward with all the proposals we put in the Spending Review and in the budget"...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

.....Simon Hughes opposing the housing benefit could be said to represent the interests of the private property owners...the BTLers ...all those Labourites including Red Ed are property price sensitive ...they are rampers ....VIs.... to keeping the prices up ....reducing the cap will not help these London types ....if rents are down ...then prices will go down ....time to call their bluff....or more to the point ...their deceit .....the rampers are afraid ....tell them so..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So Simon Hughes and various Labour people want taxpayers to pay for 'the poor' to live in expensive parts of London (areas that most said taxpayers can't afford to live in) to avoid the 'cleansing' of prime London of poor people.

But, why stop there?

I haven't noticed many poor people flying first class, driving Ferraris, holidaying on private islands in the Carribean. Seems to me that items such as these have already experienced 'poor cleansing'.

Surely our taxes can be spent on ensuring 'poor people' can enjoy ALL the things rich people can, not only living in the most expensive parts of London?

:rolleyes:

Edited by SHERWICK

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Channel 4 website has a story that relates Mr Cameron's U turn on the question of Housing Benefit :rolleyes:

....redirecting £70m to Central London to help the "poor?" afford the rents....well ...hopefully none of these rents are above £20,000pa.....this is a joke ...even £20,000 pa is a joke ....why did we not know about these rediculous limits when Nulabour were in ....who were /are the friends of the Landlords .?...these are the connections which need investigation ....BBC won't do it...they are all BTLers ...VI's to the top..... we need answers....it's your/my tax they're using ..... <_<

Edited by South Lorne

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425