House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

exiges

75% Of Incapacity Claimants Are Fit To Work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324035/75-incapacity-claimants-fit-work-Benefits-test-weeds-workshy.html

Three-quarters of people who applied for new benefits for the long-term sick failed tests to prove they were too ill to work.

Out of about 840,000 who tried to obtain the £95-a-week Employment and Support Allowance, 640,000 were told they were fit for work, or withdrew their applications before they took the tests – suggesting they were ‘trying it on’.

Incredibly, 7,100 tried to claim because they had sexually transmitted diseases and nearly 10,000 because they were too fat. Only 178,000 – one in four – were given the payment after convincing doctors they were actually unable to work.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324035/75-incapacity-claimants-fit-work-Benefits-test-weeds-workshy.html#ixzz13YIpmej4

I know somebody with MS who is in a wheelchair and often has difficulties even with talking but they are taking her DLA away because they say she is fit to work because she can push a button on a telephone keypad and turn the pages of a book with at least one hand.

I know somebody with MS who is in a wheelchair and often has difficulties even with talking but they are taking her DLA away because they say she is fit to work because she can push a button on a telephone keypad and turn the pages of a book with at least one hand.

If you are self employed and take out an insurance policy against loss of income, because of medical reasons, you have the option of choosing to be insured for 'Own Occupation' Or 'Any Occupation'.

If you choose Own Occupation, I assume this means they will pay you, if you are incapable of doing your own job properly?

And not expect you to take any kind of job going.

Any underwriters on here care to confirm that?

*[The Self Employed cannot claim disability allowance, even though they pay the same amount of tax and NI as a PAYE employee. Which is ridiculos]

If you are self employed and take out an insurance policy against loss of income, because of medical reasons, you have the option of choosing to be insured for 'Own Occupation' Or 'Any Occupation'.

If you choose Own Occupation, I assume this means they will pay you, if you are incapable of doing your own job properly?

And not expect you to take any kind of job going.

Any underwriters on here care to confirm that?

*[The Self Employed cannot claim disability allowance, even though they pay the same amount of tax and NI as a PAYE employee. Which is ridiculos]

We are talking Insurance Companies here.I wouldn't hold your breath on them paying out on anything.More likely just take your premiums and run or point to the small print that you didn't read.

Benefit claimants don't steal.

They beg thieves.

No, they don't steal. But unfortunately they can vote.

In reciept of benefits? Then remove the power to vote. That way only productive people can choose the fate of the nation.

incredibly, only 35% of those who are angry at bankster bailouts have fallen for the misdirection to the poor.

Indeed.

Yeah, it's like <5% of benefits spending, the bulk is pensions. So, are you gonna suggest gas chambers next?

A record, surely for Godwin's law! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Should we allow it to continue then, as it's only 5% of benefits spending?

Surely we'll be looking at the other 95% as well?

Will you say that every time they find fraudulant claims?

"Oh well, it's only 12%!"

"oh well, this one's only 18%!"

incredibly, only 35% of those who are angry at bankster bailouts have fallen for the misdirection to the poor.

It`s not a case of "either or"

It`s just being pointed out that while the poor sods in the middle are being shat on from above they are also being shafted from below.

A record, surely for Godwin's law! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Should we allow it to continue then, as it's only 5% of benefits spending?

Surely we'll be looking at the other 95% as well?

Will you say that every time they find fraudulant claims?

"Oh well, it's only 12%!"

"oh well, this one's only 18%!"

They aren't fraudulent claims - they changed the rules.

if we applied retrospective legislation in other areas a lot of people would be in a lot of trouble, no?

They had a segment about this on "The One Show" a week or so ago. I think something like 80% of those who are seen as "fit to return to work" actually get their assessment overturned (the CAB help them with their case)...there's been stories of those with terminal illnesses being cleared to work, same with Parkinsons, etc...

I suspect "advisors" tell anyone with any chance at all to claim all benefits....its always worth asking says Martin on MSE.

It would be interesting to see how many are turned down for mortgages too.

if we applied retrospective legislation in other areas a lot of people would be in a lot of trouble, no?

Is that what they're doing here?

I thought they were just, as you say, changing the rules and applying it from this point onwards

Do you have objections to the details of the new rules?

Is it you who owns the domain www.bankersmusthang.co.uk

?

They had a segment about this on "The One Show" a week or so ago. I think something like 80% of those who are seen as "fit to return to work" actually get their assessment overturned (the CAB help them with their case)...there's been stories of those with terminal illnesses being cleared to work, same with Parkinsons, etc...

Sickness is like retirement.

Why sit about doing nothing if you are still able and active?

Sickness is like retirement.

Why sit about doing nothing if you are still able and active?

Because even if you are as active as possible theres no way you can pay the taxes and rent and feed yourself?

I'm sure lots of people on here have differing opinions but a question worth asking (from a sociological perspective) is:

What is the motivation for those on lower wages to work when they see a small percentage running off with the country’s wealth?

Because that is what has been happening - the gap between the rich and the poor is greater than ever, the wealthiest few percent now have as big a proportion of the wealth as at the start of the 20th century and it looks like there is a direct correlation between this and life expectancy which for the first time in a hundred years is looking like it will go into reverse for the poorer population in the UK.

So I ask again, what is the motivation when the rules keep getting changed (by the wealthy) in order to steel more of the country’s wealth for the few.

So could it be that the poor – those on IB etc – have seen the light and are pretty fed up with their lot and as a consequence are going on strike - claiming what they can get away with from the state?

Is there some spin going on here?

"75% of claimants found fit to work"

"80% appeals against being found fit to work upheld"

If we rephrase that to say 75% of claimants to go through an assessment process, and 20% of those 75% are weeded out as bad claims, it makes a rather different story.

All bloomin Nu-Labours fault innit. Those extra 150k claimants in 13 years in charge compared to the 1.75m increase in the previous between 1979 and 1997.....those Tory papers really are the masters of blame shifting.

1997 figures

2010 figures

I'm sure a lot of disabled people have periods of the day when they are quite able to speak and use a computer. They will therefore be deemed to able to work.

The thing is I certainly wouldn't employ someone on the basis that they have periods of being able to speak and use a computer when I have hundreds of people who can do this all the time and never need time off for sickness.