House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Matthew Wright Show

Matthew Wright is just having a phone in about the fact that people on housing benefit are about to be forced out of living in the expensive parts of London.

Maria of London just rang in and said "Who cares?" and went on to say how she has had to moved out further because she does not have benefits and bought her own house, that she lives in a less desireable area because she works than those on benefits.

I got the impression that Wrighty was surprised by Maria's comments. Well done Maria.

Edit:

Donna of Coventry has just rang in more or less saying the same thing.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

This is one of the more bizaare arguments out of all of the HPI madness.

There are millions of people, working or otherwise who can't afford to live in London.

Why is it even up for debate that we can't afford for people on benefits to live there?

Sigh. Come the revolution....

Matthew Wright is just having a phone in about the fact that people on housing benefit are about to be forced out of living in the expensive parts of London.

Maria of London just rang in and said "Who cares?" and went on to say how she has had to moved out further because she does not have benefits and bought her own house, that she lives in a less desireable area because she works than those on benefits.

I got the impression that Wrighty was surprised by Maria's comments. Well done Maria.

Edit:

There will be a wave of support for the Government on this one, sheeple don`t like these benefits when THEY (or their house) are losing money, same way they will not tolerate migrant workers so much when THEY can`t find work. When everyone was drunk on credit no one cared what those on benefits were getting, they will care now. Government know what they are doing, these cuts are vote winners.

Edit:

It is not the first and it will not be the last time people have moved to other places outside of London. 'Family and kinship in east London' is a good book to read with the follow up......they moved to satellite towns such as Harlow, many bought their own homes (I am sure some payment will be made) and have never looked back...many now commute into town to work and live in far better surroundings with more space. ;)

Why is it even up for debate that we can't afford for people on benefits to live there?

If you try to remove the most pernicious parts of Labour's social engineering programme, they scream "social engineering" or even "social cleansing"! It's like calling someone who puts out fires a pyromaniac.

If you try to remove the most pernicious parts of Labour's social engineering programme, they scream "social engineering" or even "social cleansing"!  It's like calling someone who puts out fires a pyromaniac.

Yes, it is just the last vicious bleating of a defeated useless "government". These dicks were in power too long, they don`t like losing.

There are millions of people, working or otherwise who can't afford to live in London.

It's like another country... Go over the M25 inwards towards London - and you enter another world.... :rolleyes:

Same on James O'Brien on LBC today. "Housing benefit won't pay more than £250 per week for 1 bed, £290 for 2 bed - London will be cleansed of the poor" they scaremonger. Absolute tosh. Those rates are still so high!

Boris Johnson was on briefly and said himself that he thinks many landlords are overcharging, taking the ceiling prices that LHA pays and he wants to see rents reduced by these landlords.

VIs and very stupid politicians who don't know the realities of rents and prices in London are trying to stimulate a knee jerk reaction. I just hope they don't succeed.

The only people I can see truly having to move out of central London are those with families who cannot fit into a 4 bed house. Westminster council have said that this is a small number of families, mostly with no long term ties to the area. They wouldn't be looking at too far out either.

There will be a wave of support for the Government on this one, sheeple don`t like these benefits when THEY (or their house) are losing money, same way they will not tolerate migrant workers so much when THEY can`t find work. When everyone was drunk on credit no one cared what those on benefits were getting, they will care now. Government know what they are doing, these cuts are vote winners.

Up to a point, but it goes only a little way towards closing the gulf between what a middle-income-no-assets person can afford for him/herself and what the taxes pay for.

More interesting is what they're feeding to Labour. Milibrown doesn't seem to be taking the bait, but give them enough rope on this and other matters, and watch who bites and ... hangs themselves on a mixed metaphor.

This is one of the more bizaare arguments out of all of the HPI madness.

Sigh. Come the revolution....

I'm in the top 10% of british earners. But based on 3.5 times salary and sensible deposit I could just about afford to buy a 2 bed flat in South West london !!!!! I've I stretched myself I could get a 3 bed terrace, though I'd probably be crippled when Interest rates rise.

How the hell are the bottom 90% able to afford to buy a decent place to live in London...oh wait...they cant.

That tells you all you need to know about the london property bubble.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Who gives a sh1t? Why are there council houses in Westminster anyway? Dame Shirely had the right idea, but maybe for the wrong reasons granted. IMO there should be no council housing in central London. Then there would be more space for those that do work and prices would be lower as a result.

There are Afghans and Somalis living in houses that cost £2k a week to rent paid for by taxpayers. Madness. Immigrants should be resettled in the nearest safe country. There is no reason whatsoever for these people to be in the UK. Rant over.

I'm in the top 10% of british earners. But based on 3.5 times salary and sensible deposit I could just about afford to buy a 2 bed flat in South West london !!!!! I've I stretched myself I could get a 3 bed terrace, though I'd probably be crippled when Interest rates rise.

How the hell are the bottom 90% able to afford to buy a decent place to live in London...oh wait...they cant.

That tells you all you need to know about the london property bubble.

Couldn't put it better myself, M'Lord.....

Wait a minute though...... How did the bottom 90% "afford" the "prices" in the recent past?.... AH!!! Why - they got themselves a

LIAR LOAN!!

And no doubt they will be doing this now and into the future....

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by eric pebble

There are Afghans and Somalis living in houses that cost £2k a week to rent paid for by taxpayers. Madness. Immigrants should be resettled in the nearest safe country. There is no reason whatsoever for these people to be in the UK. Rant over.

Agree. Why cant they move to Chad/ Kenya or Pakistan/ India instead of living in the most expensive part of the UK using our hard earned money?

The answer is that people in Pakistan/ India or Chad/ Kenya would not support them for sitting there on their fat asses doing nothing. We have become a joke country that pays people far too much money for doing absolutely nothing jobwise, and layabouts from the whole world are desperate to take advantage of our stupidity. I would prefer it if our layabouts and scroungers went to live in Afganistan or Somalia. I would even be happy to pay for their shelter in those countries for a few years as it would be less than 10th of the cost.

Edited by blackgoose

Agree. Why cant they move to Chad/ Kenya or Pakistan/ India instead of living in the most expensive part of the UK using our hard earned money?

The answer is that people in Pakistan/ India or Chad/ Kenya would not support them for sitting there on their fat asses doing nothing. We have become a joke country that pays people far too much money for doing absolutely nothing jobwise, and layabouts from the whole world are desperate to take advantage of our stupidity. I would prefer it if our layabouts and scroungers went to live in Afganistan or Somalia. I would even be happy to pay for their shelter in those countries for a few years as it would be less than 10th of the cost.

Ill go just to get away from the moaning British and the "what r u lookin at " mentality

Afghans have a fair claim on the aggressors who have bombed them.

We should start by requisitioning the Blair property empire to house a large number of families. At no cost to the taxpayer.

Afghans have a fair claim on the aggressors who have bombed them.

We should start by requisitioning the Blair property empire to house a large number of families. At no cost to the taxpayer.

+1