House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Crab Vending Machines For Chinese Commuters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8087616/Crab-vending-machines-for-Chinese-commuters.html

The automatic crab dispensers have been installed at several underground stations in Nanjing, the capital of the southeastern province of Jiangsu, by an enterprising local company hoping to capitalise on the increasingly hectic lifestyles of urban Chinese.

The 'Dazha' hairy crabs, which are a popular regional delicacy along the Yangtze River delta cities of Nanjing, Hangzhou and Shanghai, are sold in three sizes – large, medium or small – and range in prices from £1.50 to £5.00.

The crabs are packed into custom-fitted plastic boxes and chilled to 41F (5C) which is enough to sedate them but also keep them alive. A sign next to the machine offers three free crabs for anyone who is unlucky enough to get a dead one.

Are they eating the crab raw? Do you get a mini hammer to break into the crab? How long have you got before the crab wakes up after being chilled like this?

£1.50 seems expensive for China.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8087616/Crab-vending-machines-for-Chinese-commuters.html

Are they eating the crab raw? Do you get a mini hammer to break into the crab? How long have you got before the crab wakes up after being chilled like this?

£1.50 seems expensive for China.

I remember my brother showing me the contents of his fridge once, he opened it to show me his dinner and staring back at me was a lonely, but very much alive crab.

At one stage in my life, I used to keep several pints of human blood in mine.

I used to work with a Greek chap and he mentioned in passing one day about how when he was swimming in the Med if he saw any small tasty looking crabs he would just grab them and eat them raw.

"The customers were a bit sceptical at first as they were worried if the crabs were alive or not," Wu Zhendi, general manager of the Twin Lake Crab Co. told The Telegraph, "but now they see they are alive, they keep coming back.

I can imagine the dissapointment of someone finding their crab was dead. The price must include the joy of killing it yourself. Whats wrong with just selling crab sticks already processed?

I used to work with a Greek chap and he mentioned in passing one day about how when he was swimming in the Med if he saw any small tasty looking crabs he would just grab them and eat them raw.

I've seen people picking sea urchins out of the sea, smashing the shell and wolfing the mess down.

I can imagine the dissapointment of someone finding their crab was dead. The price must include the joy of killing it yourself. Whats wrong with just selling crab sticks already processed?

Crabs and shell fish are kept alive and then killed in a painful manner, be it hot boiling water or hacking them to bits with a knife.

This is done so the crab or lobster literally loses control of its bowel meaning its faeces does not contaminate the meat and or require careful cleaning from the meaty bits. Electric chairs have colostomy bags for a similar purpose.

Crabs and shell fish are kept alive and then killed in a painful manner, be it hot boiling water or hacking them to bits with a knife.

This is done so the crab or lobster literally loses control of its bowel meaning its faeces does not contaminate the meat and or require careful cleaning from the meaty bits. Electric chairs have colostomy bags for a similar purpose.

I'm so curious by nature I nearly always want to know everything. This was an exception.

I'm so curious by nature I nearly always want to know everything. This was an exception.

Did you know that you can make lobsters grow bigger by cutting off their eye stalks?

All to do with hormones.

I was told this by one of my lecturers who looked like Roy Kinnear.

No concern for parasites?

No concern for parasites?

Crabs are not as far as I am aware an intermediate host for any human parasites.

Issues with raw shellfish are going to be viral, bacterial, and marine toxin accumulation (toxins a low risk in crabs as they are not bivalve molluscs - filter feeders)

Not surprising really that the Chinese, who seem to think its acceptable to keep bears crushed into cages no bigger than the bear itself to "milk" them for their bile, also see no problem with stuffing a live crab into a plastic box and thenceinto a vending machine.

What an inhuman race...