House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JPDorsetHP

Could Google Streetview Devalue A Property Long After The Blight Has Gone?

Probably not really worth its own thread but OT for the Streetview / WiFi grabbing thread.

It occurred to me as just another facet of "The Internet Never Forgets" impact of Google Streetview on house prices.

There's no doubt that more and more house hunters are using Streetview to "virtually" visit the area around a property they are considering buying. Let's say you happened to have neighbours from hell next door when the Google Streetview car captured your road. Car parts all over the garden, bins and rubbish strewn everywhere, you know the picture i'm talking about.

But let's say they've moved out - and model neighbours have moved in - cleaned up the garden, painted the house - and it's now lovely. Great, but until the Google Streetview car comes back round - which could be years, if ever - you're stuck with your neighbours from hell in the virtual world - which could seriously reduce the number of viewings you're able to get and subsequently asking price.

It is a possibility, I suppose.

But most agents include new photos of the house which is what people look at first.

And most people net-savvy enough to use Streetview are aware of the fact that Google's photos are years out of date.

Probably not really worth its own thread but OT for the Streetview / WiFi grabbing thread.

It occurred to me as just another facet of "The Internet Never Forgets" impact of Google Streetview on house prices.

There's no doubt that more and more house hunters are using Streetview to "virtually" visit the area around a property they are considering buying. Let's say you happened to have neighbours from hell next door when the Google Streetview car captured your road. Car parts all over the garden, bins and rubbish strewn everywhere, you know the picture i'm talking about.

But let's say they've moved out - and model neighbours have moved in - cleaned up the garden, painted the house - and it's now lovely. Great, but until the Google Streetview car comes back round - which could be years, if ever - you're stuck with your neighbours from hell in the virtual world - which could seriously reduce the number of viewings you're able to get and subsequently asking price.

It could also work in the opposite way so it cancels itself out

I think the OP has a point. I have viewed houses looking at Streetview and a fw have had crummy looking drives/gardens of neighbours, rubbish on road, bins left out and a mess... and I had dismissed viewing them in the flesh.

It does, on street view for HK my dad's house the road doesn't appear to go anywhere near his house. But that was 2 years ago today the road is a mere 5 minutes away and they build a new bridge over a small stream.

The OP has a point.

The Street view camera car is approaching your road..

Unknown to you, a sandwich board man luridly advertising Wanquers Massage Parlour is trudging past your house..

He stops for a breather... and leans his signboards against your front gate...

Your wife opens the front door and looks out as...

The Streetview cameracar passes...

Snap!...

A year later you wonder why you aren't getting any viewings...

I look at the EA pics of the house but always use street view to check the neighbours and street. Saves a lot of effort.

I have seen a few EA pics that have been oddly clipped and a look at streetview shows why. Crappy neighbours, cars all over the lawn, scruffy caravans, shocking gardens etc etc. I mostly dismiss anything that looks like the neighbours are a mess. I have driven past a couple when wifey wont shush but have never been disappointed to see the blight still there next door.

I am actually starting to enjoy doing it now :D I tend to stop in the middle of the road so that they must notice, I have a good gawp, stare at the mess next door, add look of disgust and then drive off.

Two such places have had reductions since I have done a drive by gawp. I can only hope that I had a small hand in it.

If I were a seller though and blights were removed then I would be pretty peeved as I am sure that streetview would be a serious detriment.

And most people net-savvy enough to use Streetview are aware of the fact that Google's photos are years out of date.

This, I very much doubt.

You do realise that every(?) Rightmove listing now has a Streetview link?