House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Any Advice On Setting Up A Wireless Distrubtion Service

I've bought a Samsung TV which has got internet access via either LAN which is built into the set or a Samsung wifi dongle.

The dongle costs around £45 or £34 from some dodgy geezer in China on Ebay.

However I've been wondering if I could set up a WDS with 2 routers. Having a look on my current router it doesn't appear to support WDS, so does anyone have any recommendations over what router to choose to configure this?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155638

This has the function, but usually I prefer netgears, although currently I’ve got a cisco router at home, but that doesn’t appear to support WDS.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/204552

Quite fancy this one but not found the manual yet to see whether it has WDS.

Any wireless experts out there?

Yep, the only problems you might experience is if you have two mains circuits in your house something which affects some old houses that have been extended but other than that they work well.

I stream my Satellite server to any workstation in the house even HD content which is bandwidth intensive but make sure you set the security on it to prevent the data escaping unencrypted.

They won't work, talked Belkin about the HD ones and they need to be on the same phase to work, just checked which sockets are plugged into what on the elec fuse board and helpfully upstairs and downstairs are on 2 different fuses.

So it looks like I'm back to my original choice of 2 routers or the wifi dongle. Having the wifi downstairs should hopefully get it into the garden as it appears we have some lead lined walls :)

They won't work, talked Belkin about the HD ones and they need to be on the same phase to work, just checked which sockets are plugged into what on the elec fuse board and helpfully upstairs and downstairs are on 2 different fuses.

So it looks like I'm back to my original choice of 2 routers or the wifi dongle. Having the wifi downstairs should hopefully get it into the garden as it appears we have some lead lined walls :)

http://www.tp-link.com/default.html

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/DGN2200_UM_30Mar10.pdf

Found the manual for the netgear, what I'm looking for is on 6-19 onwards.

Here are some examples of wireless bridged configurations:

• Point-to-point bridge. The wireless-N modem router communicates with another bridgemode wireless station. See “Point-to-Point Bridge Configuration.”

• Multi-point bridge. The wireless-N modem router is the “master” for a group of bridge-mode wireless stations. Then all traffic is sent to this master, rather than to other access points. See “Multi-Point Bridge.”

• Repeater with wireless client association. Sends all traffic to the remote access point. See “Repeater with Wireless Client Association.”

Be sure to turn any Powerline adaptors off when not in use, and don't leave them on when nobody is in the house.

Fireman Sam says so!

Are they a bit of a fire hazard then? Surely they are just as dangerous when people are in the house?

I've ordered the Samsung dongle as WDS doesn't support WPA leaving you with either choosing a open network relying on Mac filtering or using the pointless WEP.

You can flash most routers with DD-WRT, which gives them support for WDS. You can have one standard router, then you can use a secondary router (flashed with DD-WRT) and set it to "client" mode. That way it'll receive anything your primary router sends (you specify by SSID and encryption key) and everything you plug into the router's Ethernet ports will work as normal.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

it does involve going into the router's webinterface and flashing the firmware though.

I found WDS to be a pain in the ****. Couldn't get WPA to work. I ended up buying a cheapo wireless repeater and turned that to client mode, which allowed me to plug it into an older laptop's Ethernet port (it doesn't have wireless, and cardbus wireless cards are shit)