House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Easy Is It To Trace Someone Who Tried To Log In To A Bank Account?

A friend was called by their bank last week and told that their online account access had been blocked due to someone getting the password wrong a few times. The person trying to access it wasn't any of the people who are authorised to do so as all the people who are authorised were doing other things at the time. Suspicion is going in the direction of it possibly being a disgruntled ex-employee although, realistically, it's probably some Nigerian scammer.

Question is; how easy would it be to find out who it was? How much info about the log in attempts is the bank likely to have? Is it possible to trace someone through their IP address (would the bank record this even?) or is there any other information that may have been recorded by the bank which may lead to the identity of the person trying to access it?

A friend was called by their bank last week and told that their online account access had been blocked due to someone getting the password wrong a few times. The person trying to access it wasn't any of the people who are authorised to do so as all the people who are authorised were doing other things at the time. Suspicion is going in the direction of it possibly being a disgruntled ex-employee although, realistically, it's probably some Nigerian scammer.

Question is; how easy would it be to find out who it was? How much info about the log in attempts is the bank likely to have? Is it possible to trace someone through their IP address (would the bank record this even?) or is there any other information that may have been recorded by the bank which may lead to the identity of the person trying to access it?

Tracing the source ip address would be easy enough. The bank should record all login attempts along with ip address with time, date etc .

I dont know if the mac address is recorded but this is more helpful in identifying the "nigerian scammer" :) .

However mac addresses are easily changed and ip masking is common now among criminals. If it is a disgruntled employee trying to access from home then tracing it back would be easy enough although it might take a little time.

Tracing the source ip address would be easy enough. The bank should record all login attempts along with ip address with time, date etc .

I dont know if the mac address is recorded but this is more helpful in identifying the "nigerian scammer" :) .

However mac addresses are easily changed and ip masking is common now among criminals. If it is a disgruntled employee trying to access from home then tracing it back would be easy enough although it might take a little time.

MAC address? Techno thicko here.

If the bank has recorded the IP or MAC address then what process does one go through to trace it to a particular computer or person? I'm assuming that this is information that is only going to be released under a court order?

MAC address? Techno thicko here.

If the bank has recorded the IP or MAC address then what process does one go through to trace it to a particular computer or person? I'm assuming that this is information that is only going to be released under a court order?

If the bank has recorded the IP address you could ask for it, but I'm not sure if they'd give you it.

If they did then you could run a WHOIS check on the address to see which ISP it belongs to.

That should tell you what country the person was based in, provided they haven't been spoofing their IP.

Its extremely unlikely an ISP will give you any information on the IP address, so I'm not sure if it would do any good, unless of course you happen to know who the former employee uses as their ISP.

Even then, just because the access request came from the same ISP as he is with it wouldn't prove anything, and it certainly wouldn't be enough for the ISP to do anything.

Without getting in to the gory technical details, the bank themselves would only be able to provide limited information which may or may not allow you to identify where the person was trying to access the account from. Essentially all the bank has is an IP address, you would then need further details from the ISP as to what physical location the IP address was being used by at that specific time.

Having said that the likelihood of the bank giving you the IP address details in the first place are close to 0. It's more of a data protection issue than a technical one.

Without getting in to the gory technical details, the bank themselves would only be able to provide limited information which may or may not allow you to identify where the person was trying to access the account from. Essentially all the bank has is an IP address, you would then need further details from the ISP as to what physical location the IP address was being used by at that specific time.

Having said that the likelihood of the bank giving you the IP address details in the first place are close to 0. It's more of a data protection issue than a technical one.

I don't know but I think they wold if someone has been trying to access your bank account.

I don't know but I think they wold if someone has been trying to access your bank account.

They would probably disclose it to the Police if you could persuade them to treat it as attempted fraud.