House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest_FaFa!_*

Gdp Rumours For Data Release At 9.30Am

what, 0.7%, up, or just plain 0.7%...and if up, against the previously downwardly revised figure?

who knows?

course, with inflation @ 5%...what does this tell us?

Inflation is not real growth.

accepted...but GDP measures money flows....and therefore, a reduction in purchasing power would increase the GDP??

GDP doesn't measure real growth - just nominal? Or am I being incredibly naive? :huh:

it measures whatever "They" want it to measure.

The Markets in general (sans Stocks) have gone bearish against the UK already... Spending cuts haven't kicked in yet (and inflation is high), so why did they expect sluggish GDP growth?

Morons!

This has to be good news even for us cynical old bears.

A growing economy whilst we're bringing down public spending, killing off various speculative elements, dampening the benefit culture and the easy credit HPI driven economy is, in princple a good thing.

A hundred caveats and all very early days on the above, but we are moving towards the kind of economy that we would advocate on this site.

Edited by Kyoto

The Markets in general (sans Stocks) have gone bearish against the UK already... Spending cuts haven't kicked in yet (and inflation is high), so why did they expect sluggish GDP growth?

Morons!

Sterling. Euro. Dollar are for the time being just bouncing around in a trading range,

It is sensible to be cautious about GDP, Government spending has a huge impact on its calculation.

IMO there won't be any real conviction until next year.

Edited by Toto deVeer

Posted Earlier about BBC Website Headline story this morning.

Typical BBC. It is only a "sharp slowdown" because the previous figures were about 100% higher than expected. Sensationalist drivel. If GDP had been previous 0.2% would they be wrting about GDP growth soaring 100%? Not likely.

Meanwhile, the housing market has also started to suffer. Figures released by the Nationwide Building Society later this week are expected to show a 0.4% fall in property prices between September and October.

But Howard Archer, chief economist at IHS Global Insight, warns against reading too much into the third quarter figures, because preliminary ONS estimates can be inaccurate

At least they could wait until the figures are released and then put up an article. Talking down the economy before they even have the data to support it?

The BBC is a disgrace.

Also 0.7% was predicted less than a month ago, now the consensus drops to 0.4? The negativity surrounding the spending cuts affecting economists?

Q4 will probably be 0.4% ish though, also weak 1st half 2011, I think things will pick up again after that.

Edited by mattyfc

what, 0.7%, up, or just plain 0.7%...and if up, against the previously downwardly revised figure?

who knows?

course, with inflation @ 5%...what does this tell us?

I believe GDP is inflation adjusted.

Edit: according to FF it is: Measures Change in the inflation-adjusted value of all goods and services produced by the economy;

QE off! (again!) rate rise on! (again!)

Edited by Pent Up

I believe GDP is inflation adjusted.

QE off! (again!) rate rise on! (again!)

GDP is inflation adjusted, nominal GDP will be increasign 5-6% odd this year (2.8~ + 3.1~)

You would think with this kind of growth and inflation 1% over target for the whole year?

The only real negative indicators seems to be falling house prices. Has the ramping press in a right state.

Don't buy any € for next year's holiday. € becoming toast again against everything and, due to UK GDP, particularly v £.

Reduce gold holdings. LT Bull still in place in spades.

Sell stocks. Indeed go short. This is my second repeat of this sentiment within the last 2 weeks.

Reduce gold holdings. LT Bull still in place in spades.

What does this mean?

Sell stocks. Indeed go short. This is my second repeat of this sentiment within the last 2 weeks.

Why? What do you think is about to happen?

Don't buy any € for next year's holiday. € becoming toast again against everything and, due to UK GDP, particularly v £.

I worked this one out ;)

Q4 will probably be 0.4% ish though, also weak 1st half 2011, I think things will pick up again after that.

With continued Public Sector cuts and VAT hike I don't share your optimism

I've been considering this for some weeks. Glad I didn't as the rally kept on going! Surely even with the current GDP release its out of line with the economy.

But what about QE? If it happens the stock Market will surely love it, if it isn't priced in already. Or maybe there will be a realisation that QE what happen here and will we see a drop back to fundemental realities?

Or maybe something completely different?

Hmm you know what, I think I might sit this one out....