House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Buccaneer

North Swindon - Sales Rocketing

Hi

Sales in a regular search area in North Swindon seem to have been subdued through the summer however in the last few days 19 out of 183 properties in this area have sold.

Has anyone noticed a change in the market?

Can anyone explain this apparent boom ?

Hi

Sales in a regular search area in North Swindon seem to have been subdued through the summer however in the last few days 19 out of 183 properties in this area have sold.

Has anyone noticed a change in the market?

Can anyone explain this apparent boom ?

Really sold, or SSTC (aka "not sold")?

I'm watching stacks of stuff go SSTC only to sit there for months, then come back on the market as available. It's easy to get an offer accepted, much harder to come up with the money.

Really sold, or SSTC (aka "not sold")?

I'm watching stacks of stuff go SSTC only to sit there for months, then come back on the market as available. It's easy to get an offer accepted, much harder to come up with the money.

All SSTC.

The unusual thing is for so many to go SSTC in such a short space of time.

Well I created a SSTC last year, I bought in North Swindon.

What I am finding is there is still a lot of over priced houses sitting there unsold.

Edited by OzzMosiz

Well I created a SSTC last year, I bought in North Swindon.

What I am finding is there is still a lot of over priced houses sitting there unsold.

Evening, Ozz.

I was about to make viewing appointment for two properties in swindon.

one in wroughton, one at Ermin street,SN3. both being told under offer and not available for viewing.

I found it strange in swindon

so many house supplies, yet the price is a little bit high than I would have imagined!

I've been looking for a decent 3 or 4 bed detached in North Swindon for the last 6 months, everything is hugely overpriced and there's a high number of properties that have been hanging around for longer than I've been looking. I spoke to an AE today, he's completely convinced house prices haven't fallen, it sounded like he was completely brainwashed by the bull***t they try and feed us.

I am starting to wonder if prices are ever going to fall around here ...?

I've been looking for a decent 3 or 4 bed detached in North Swindon for the last 6 months, everything is hugely overpriced and there's a high number of properties that have been hanging around for longer than I've been looking. I spoke to an AE today, he's completely convinced house prices haven't fallen, it sounded like he was completely brainwashed by the bull***t they try and feed us.

My observations are that prices are still high, a lot of property has been hanging around for a long time but prices have been very slowly edging down. This is in an area north of Swindon bounded by Tadpole Lane to the north and a little bit north of Thamesdown Drive to the south. Typically there are around 200 properties for sale or SSTC on rightmove at any one time and sales have been sparse. As stated in the original post sales in the last week seem to have taken off with 10% going newly SSTC.

It's a mystery to me - any explanations?

Swindon never suffered such huge rises as other places, and even with the huge building developments has not had drastic price falls, though prices have edged down slightly.

I did see a few years ago that people were putting houses (especially 2 bed semi/terraces) on for stupid money - we're talking £150K+

There's still plenty of 2 bed houses with asking prices of above £140K, I really can't see the point in asking that much for a 2 bed. It's not as if the wages in Swindon are that good.

IMO Swindon is just an industrial town with little industry left, can't see why the local crooks (EA's) feel the need to give plainly rediculous valuations, it leads to serious disapointment for the seller and frustration for the genuine buyers out there...

I don't think Wichelstowe is anything special, sure it's proximity to 'old town' goes in it's favour, what's not in is favour is the 6 lanes of M4 motorway less than 200 meters away, it's soo noisey down there !

Speaking from personal experience, Oakhurst is blighted by the council's 50/50 scheme, I'm not saying all social tenants are bad, I think the opposite infact, however some really are scum. I loved the last house I had, the council bought the house joined to mine, sold it to a single mum with 3 kids on one of the 50/50 scheme's and all hell broke loose. A nice respectable little street with good neighbours turned sour due to 1 household who have no respect, no manners and no shame.

A street with only 15 houses, 4 families moved out because of them, 2 more trying to move out because of them.

A sign of the times maybe, who knows. It cost me 20K though .......

Edited by abbot26

I don't think Wichelstowe is anything special, sure it's proximity to 'old town' goes in it's favour, what's not in is favour is the 6 lanes of M4 motorway less than 200 meters away, it's soo noisey down there !

Speaking from personal experience, Oakhurst is blighted by the council's 50/50 scheme, I'm not saying all social tenants are bad, I think the opposite infact, however some really are scum. I loved the last house I had, the council bought the house joined to mine, sold it to a single mum with 3 kids on one of the 50/50 scheme's and all hell broke loose. A nice respectable little street with good neighbours turned sour due to 1 household who have no respect, no manners and no shame.

A street with only 15 houses, 4 families moved out because of them, 2 more trying to move out because of them.

A sign of the times maybe, who knows. It cost me 20K though .......

that now explains why!

why a similiar 5 beds hourse is 50k cheaper in Oakhurst thank wichestowe/?

is Oakhusrst a bad area to live?

Another reason is the developers always add a premium to a brand new house.

A mistake I made back in 2001!

A friend of mine recently secured a deal that got Taylor/Wimpey to accept £242.500 for a house they had up for £299.995.

A massive discount of £57.5K. Mainstream builders are there for the taking, I think it's just a case of not just being cheeky with your offer, you have to be utterly offensive, they have ripped the **** out of the buying public for years, now the shoe is on the other foot and a good shoein is exactly what they deserve !!!

If wichelstowe wasn't so close to the M4 I'd be over there trying to get the bargain of the century...

If wichelstowe wasn't so close to the M4 I'd be over there trying to get the bargain of the century...

On what was a flood plain? I wouldn't!

Yes Ozz I am, though not from Swindon area and am considering other options. Totally fed up with the attitude of local EA's with their ******** valuations on properties that just won't sell. Don't know what to do next !

Yes Ozz I am, though not from Swindon area and am considering other options. Totally fed up with the attitude of local EA's with their ******** valuations on properties that just won't sell. Don't know what to do next !

Have you looked in North Swindon (Abbeymeads / Ash Brake / St Andrews Ridge) or West Swindon (Middleleaze, Nine Elms, Peatmoor) - they're nice areas - bit out of the town centre but good bus links ?

What sort of place are you looking for?

Edited by OzzMosiz

I'm looking in the Abbey Meads/St Andrews Ridge area at the mo, I want a decent 3 bed detatched or maybe even a 4 if it's priced where it should be.

Everything in this area that's currently available is marketed at peek 2007 prices, some are even above that. I took a 20K hit when I sold my last house in May, I had to take that hit as in my view the market had droppped that much since I bought it in July 2007.

Of course we have the local bunch of unqualified dipstick EA's (Michael Tuck, Dewhurst & Co, take a bow) slapping massive valuations on everthing just to get the instruction, it's crazy...

Abbot, seen a 3 bed detached in Nine Elms (West Swindon) for £169k and a detached in Ash Brake (£189K - been on a while so might take offers - same style as my house).

Not a great fan of west Swindon Ozz, wrong side of town for me to get to work. I did look see the ash brake house when it first came on the market, still think Dewhurst have overpriced considering it needs updating (kitchen/bathrooms etc).

That's probably why the current owners are moving, they don't fancy the 15k bill to bring it kicking and screaming into 2010 !!!

Not a great fan of west Swindon Ozz, wrong side of town for me to get to work. I did look see the ash brake house when it first came on the market, still think Dewhurst have overpriced considering it needs updating (kitchen/bathrooms etc).

That's probably why the current owners are moving, they don't fancy the 15k bill to bring it kicking and screaming into 2010 !!!

I see it's down to 185 now. Kitchen looks ok, prob new work surface would be enough to spruce it up.