House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

indebted

Ipads On Ebay

Seen a few threads on here about the ipad.

Noticed that there seems to be a lot of these for sale on ebay, normally with the reason for selling as "I'm a student" and "need the money" etc. Aside from the issue of buying it if you're skint in the first place, do people buy these shiny objects (like magpies) then take it home, open the box and think, "what the feck did I buy this for?".

So, a few weeks after the other threads has anyone changed their mind about them or paid a shed loada money for one?

I've got an iphone 3G (second hand) so I'm not mad on always having the latest gadget, just curious as to whether the ipad is still worth all the hype.

Seen a few threads on here about the ipad.

Noticed that there seems to be a lot of these for sale on ebay, normally with the reason for selling as "I'm a student" and "need the money" etc. Aside from the issue of buying it if you're skint in the first place, do people buy these shiny objects (like magpies) then take it home, open the box and think, "what the feck did I buy this for?".

So, a few weeks after the other threads has anyone changed their mind about them or paid a shed loada money for one?

I've got an iphone 3G (second hand) so I'm not mad on always having the latest gadget, just curious as to whether the ipad is still worth all the hype.

I expect a lot of people got them free of charge. Legitimately or otherwise. So you wouldn't necessarily be handling stolen goods.

Apple are more a marketing company than anything else, once you get passed the hype/novelty you will find it to be pretty inadequate in many ways.

A friend of mine wants one based purely on the advertising.

I'm looking at the US vs. UK pricing of Ipads and I can't say I was shocked to see what's on the screen of the Apple UK Ipad :lol:

I am going to the US next week. May have to pay my dues to the Apple tax man whilst I'm there :(

( :) )

I am going to the US next week. May have to pay my dues to the Apple tax man whilst I'm there :(

( :) )

I'm using it as my price comparison benchmark but yet to grips with advertised prices and sales taxes

I wanted one and went to buy one but was put off by the absence of USB/SD connection. The everything through itunes looked like a pain in the ass.

I wanted the one with the built in 3G modem because I'm sick and tired of having to boot up a netbook. The netbook has also got a built in modem so I've done away with the whole dongle thing and don't want to go back.

If I could find a decent tablet in another brand that's got a built in modem USB connectivity and is up and running after a push of the button I'd go that way.

Has anyone seen anything like that, don't mind if it's dearer than the ipad?

I wanted one and went to buy one but was put off by the absence of USB/SD connection. The everything through itunes looked like a pain in the ass.

I wanted the one with the built in 3G modem because I'm sick and tired of having to boot up a netbook. The netbook has also got a built in modem so I've done away with the whole dongle thing and don't want to go back.

If I could find a decent tablet in another brand that's got a built in modem USB connectivity and is up and running after a push of the button I'd go that way.

I'd love the new MacBook Air 11.6" It's got reasonble laptop power and doesn't costs much/any more than the 'premium netbooks' of Sony (the 11" ones without slow Atom processors).

So much more than an iPad.

Given how well iPads appear to have sold, give it 12 months and the market will be flooded with similar items. Some of them might even have sufficient functionality to be some use! :D

My wife has one, her grandmother died and left her a significant amount of money and she wanted to treat herself to one. I only mention that as it's the sort of unessential purchase which I don't think we would have made without that.

It is very good but does have a few flaws.

Pros

Super quick boot up

Just works (yes a well worn phrase when it comes to apple but it is true)

Easy to use

Does the things she wants it to do (quick easy access to the internet, playing games and most important for her a good ebook reader)

Cons

No Flash support

No USB

No SD card slot

With regard to doing everything via iTunes, you don't have to apart from the initial set up it's not been connected to a PC since. As far as I know you can download everything straight to the iPad that's certainly the case with the apps and the books my wife has installed on it.

It is ideal for what we want it for, something which is just there ready when we want to check something quickly on the internet, play a quick game or take a load of books on holiday, it's easy to use on the sofa and an addition to our already computer filled life style. Would I recommend it to somebody without a computer (ignoring the fact you need one to set it up), of course not but it does fill a niche in the market which you may or may not consider needs filling.

One of my customers is an IT hardware distributor. Decent internal sales staff there have been winning one every month or so since their launch, as they are the prize of choice for most of their suppliers who arrange sales incentives. Most of the prizes they win go straight onto Ebay.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/

The Playbook