House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Miyagi

Blackwood

It seems that even my small home town is home to delusional sellers.

This beauty on sale for £144,950 sold in 2008 for £125000 and in 2002 for £49k

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=NP12+1PS

That house in that location just isn't worth it. I would probably give them 100k at a push.

That house in that location just isn't worth it. I would probably give them 100k at a push.

I think Blackwood is about to become a pit of despair in Gwent along with the surrounding areas.

I think Blackwood is about to become a pit of despair in Gwent along with the surrounding areas.

Could well be.

Mr. M. - I'm disappointed. I thought you were going to show me something price at 250k or some other such absurdity.

A mere 16% increase in the last 2 years seems to be about par for the course for estate agents even in crappier parts of the country.

Unfortunately.

btw - my Japanese wife doesn't know who Miyagi-san is. She seems to have missed the entire series of Karate Kid. (possibly because she was in Japan at the time ...)

The Sirhowy is a now a pretty valley and I like Blackwood but that place can't be worth more than 75K in a sane world! I suppose that anyone with a reasonable job (apart from local authority) travels to Cardiff or Newport and that involves cost (even the train is expensive) so why would anyone pay 145K when they could buy closer to work.( Mid-terraces in Tredegar were going for 15K in 1995!!).

Mr. M. - I'm disappointed. I thought you were going to show me something price at 250k or some other such absurdity.

A mere 16% increase in the last 2 years seems to be about par for the course for estate agents even in crappier parts of the country.

Unfortunately.

btw - my Japanese wife doesn't know who Miyagi-san is. She seems to have missed the entire series of Karate Kid. (possibly because she was in Japan at the time ...)

You have to take it in context. A 16% rise in Blackwood is not consistant with the local market. Prices have fallen since 2007 there was no mini bounce in 2008/2009.

The Sirhowy is a now a pretty valley and I like Blackwood but that place can't be worth more than 75K in a sane world! I suppose that anyone with a reasonable job (apart from local authority) travels to Cardiff or Newport and that involves cost (even the train is expensive) so why would anyone pay 145K when they could buy closer to work.( Mid-terraces in Tredegar were going for 15K in 1995!!).

It is by far the most prosperous of all the South East Valley's, but your spot on with your assessment. The only jobs that would earn you 30k-40k locally are professional public sector posts (there aren't that many). All decent private sector jobs would have you travelling to either Cardiff, Newport or Bristol.

Is 7'2"x5'4" really a 'bedroom'??

Well apparently the previous owners said it has/had planning permission for an attic conversion. Whoopee

We are getting there

£10k would probaly get that reasonable with some DIY.

Pricing at the margins

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

It is by far the most prosperous of all the South East Valley's, but your spot on with your assessment. The only jobs that would earn you 30k-40k locally are professional public sector posts (there aren't that many). All decent private sector jobs would have you travelling to either Cardiff, Newport or Bristol.

At the end of Pentwyn Ave is a very large farm house (Watkins the Farm). It was on with Peter Alan for most of this year for 495K if I recall correctly.

Unsold though certainly a decent house, albeit on a busy corner. PA have lost it and it's now re-advertised with Roberts and Co for .......wait for it .......560K. That should bring them out of the woodwork I'm sure!

I was talking to a Swansea EA over the weekend who told me that some houses were selling but not many.. went on to bemoan sellers not dropping asking prices and houses moving from EA to EA after months on the market only to be valued even higher...

I pointed out that, IMPO, his firm was one of the worst in Swansea both for initial over-valuations and for then putting houses that had been on with other chains for about 50K more than they had not sold for about 6 to 12 months in other chains.

He looked at me with a confused look. I concluded talking to a piece of wood would have been more fruitful.