House Price Crash Forum

Likely Public Reaction To Q E 2?

Timm

HOLA441

So, Thursday the 4th November 2010.

Halifax and Nationwide QoQ down, consumer confidence fallen off a cliff after the spending review. Demand for credit evaporating by the day. It's now the big chance for the BoE to start printing money again. It's the logical date because of the publication of the Quarterly Inflation Report - any other date would look as if they had been panicked, and were losing control.

Meanwhile, the public look around at all the fear, the projected job losses and the media bleeting about savage, brutal cuts that will lead to everyone living in a cardboard box. And then they see perceive billions of pounds being printed up free of debt and given to the bankers.

Is this the moment the UK public turns?

HOLA442

Halifax and Nationwide QoQ down, consumer confidence fallen off a cliff after the spending review. Demand for credit evaporating by the day. It's now the big chance for the BoE to start printing money again. It's the logical date because of the publication of the Quarterly Inflation Report - any other date would look as if they had been panicked, and were losing control.

Meanwhile, the public look around at all the fear, the projected job losses and the media bleeting about savage, brutal cuts that will lead to everyone living in a cardboard box. And then they see perceive billions of pounds being printed up free of debt and given to the bankers.

Interesting times.

You gotta hope they see sense and dont print. If they do we really are going down the plug hole.

I've said all along that they need to let the banks fail and protect the depositors money.

Bankrupts shoudl be jailed as common theives.

We need a change in attitude, a real change in government and a real age of austerity.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Most won't understand what a cruise ship has to do with the economy.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Are you serious? The UK public is in debt and they need money.

It's preferable if someone hands it out pro gratis.

They will approve.

Will they approve of it being handed to nasty bankers though?

HOLA447

Ignorance is bliss for the general public and, as a result, for this countries ruiling elite - elected and non elected.

People i know do not have any real grasp of how economic policy impacts upon them, let's face it people like it that way.

HOLA448

Interesting times.

You gotta hope they see sense and dont print. If they do we really are going down the plug hole.

I've said all along that they need to let the banks fail and protect the depositors money.

Bankrupts shoudl be jailed as common theives.

We need a change in attitude, a real change in government and a real age of austerity.

I'm fairly certain there will be yet another round of quantitive easing in the next couple of months.

The government doesn't seem to understand that QE does little for the economy, apart from lining the bankers pockets even further.

I would also recommend letting the banks fail, whilst protecting the depositors 50k. It is supposed to be capitalism in a free market economy.

To stimulate growth we need to get real money to the people, who will then spend it and create growth.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Ignorance is bliss for the general public and, as a result, for this countries ruiling elite - elected and non elected.

People i know do not have any real grasp of how economic policy impacts upon them, let's face it people like it that way.

Yes, mention quantitive easing to to Jo Public and I am sure you will get little more than a few blank looks.

It was not too long ago I had to explain to my Masters level educated friend about interest rates and the monthly decision about them at the BoE she thought all rates were set by the bank (which is largely correct but I dont think she even knew the Bank of England even existed).

On the other hand isnt that Wagner bloke awful on the X-Factor? and that Cheryl can't sing and blubs alot too. That is where the real news is at.

HOLA4414

It was not too long ago I had to explain to my Masters level educated friend about interest rates and the monthly decision about them at the BoE she thought all rates were set by the bank (which is largely correct but I dont think she even knew the Bank of England even existed).

4 years ago, I was similar to your friend. It was only coming back from a period abroad, seeing house prices and thinking WTF which led me down the rabbit hole and ultimately to this site and beyond. I often wonder whether the decision not to have mandatory teaching of finance and economics to students is in fact deliberate policy by TPTB. I don't think anyone is really aware, other than geeks like ourselves, what QE is.

HOLA4415

Generally, I don't think the public has much perception really of what QE is. They may spout a phrase like 'I heard the government's been printing money' when they get a new looking tenner out of their wallet but it's just a stock phrase like 'we own the banks' they've learnt.

I don't get the impression there's any serious level of understanding behind any of it.

HOLA4416

I have seen no mention of Cheryl Cole, the X-Factor or Big Brother in this thread - suffice to say, the Public will show no interest unless the nation's sweetheart shows us her knickers!?

You forgot football. Ironically, football itself is collapsing due to the very Ponzinomics it used to distract people from thinking about.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

News at 6.

The government has just printed £1000 trillion pounds. Your money wont buy diddly squat.

MR WAYNE SLOB

What times the footy on, waynetta.

MR WAYNETTA SLOB

Same time as Katie and Peter, im watching that.

MR WAYNE SLOB

No you aint.

<<<FIGHT FOR REMOTE COMMENCES, THE 25 STONE WAYNETTA PACIFIES THE 8 STONE WAYNE BY SITTING ON HIM, KATIE AND PETER IS WATCHED AND ENJOYED>>>

1 WEEK LATER, The satellite bill arrives, has increased from £50 a month to £50,000 a month, a national pandemic starts. Millions dead within days.

Thats the reaction i expect. Slightly delayed, but yes, blood will be spilt. The rivers will be flowing red.

Edited by Sadman

HOLA4419

They'll ******ing love it. Tell them that all austerity measures have been withdrawn and the "free money tree" will continue to provide. They'll be like pigs in shit.

Brilliant. I'm taking you on the road!!!

+1!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Sir Winston Churchill

HOLA4425

I suspect anything that is done to re-invigorate the economy will be viewed as positive by the public.. the last thing they want is a recession and with interest rates so low and taxes being raised to mop up some of the debt QE is one of the few things in the armoury to try and boost the economy..

On a different point though the debate on Bankers Bonuses vs Public suffering looks set to run and run.... for one I really really hope that the politicians don't let it runaway with them beyond all reason. if they implement measures to restrict the UK environment beynd that in other countries it will be unnecessarilly damaging. I don't think we are nearing another banking meltdown so the only thing that will be achieved by punishing bankers is to force them out of the UK which will make the economic hill we have to climb more difficult... I don't want to appear as an apologist for bankers but I do want to emphasise that taking action on our own will be counter productive... action together fine, but as the UK by itself risks being more damaging than anything else.

besides this whole argument about restricting bonuses and getting banks to lend more is facile... the maount paid out in bonuses would make little difference to lending to samll businesses or people, partly becasue the large bonuses are not paid in retail banks.... if goldman sachs paid NO BONUSES the effect on lending to small businesses or individuals in the states or here would be zero I suspect, whereas in say lloyds TSB..... all members of staff might get a 10% bonus if the business does well, but that bonus has I suspect evolved over time and so is viewed a little like normal pay and rations as it is not paid on performance.... cutting it would be difficult, cutting the much bigger bonuses of the top team ( which is small) would have probably zero effect on a business as huge as that....... the bonus argument is a difficult one and in my mond Vince has trivialised it in a very ill advised way.