House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Nationwide Index--Merged

Should be an interesting one this month.

Looking at what I see on property bee...if anyone is buying a house it has to be for less than last month....so I'm expecting a fair size drop, maybe not the spectactular 3.6% of the Halifax, maybe only something like 3.4% :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Should be an interesting one this month.

Looking at what I see on property bee...if anyone is buying a house it has to be for less than last month....so I'm expecting a fair size drop, maybe not the spectactular 3.6% of the Halifax, maybe only something like 3.4% :lol::lol::lol::lol:

For what very, very little it is worth, Forex say -0.3% is expected.

http://www.forexfactory.com/calendar.php

I think probably a sub 1% fall.

Land registry is out the same day. Two negatives would make some interesting articles :)

My prediction is that if the Nationwide still shows a QoQ fall, we will get QE2 exactly a week later.

I don't care what the LR says.

My prediction is that if the Nationwide still shows a QoQ fall, we will get QE2 exactly a week later.

I don't care what the LR says.

To be honest I think you're right and QE2 seems inevitable... but did QE actually have any impact on house prices though? I think the whole bounce was only down to the drop to 0.5% base rate and the Support for Mortgage Interest, would like to hear people's thoughts though....

To be honest I think you're right and QE2 seems inevitable... but did QE actually have any impact on house prices though? I think the whole bounce was only down to the drop to 0.5% base rate and the Support for Mortgage Interest, would like to hear people's thoughts though....

It's not often we get an interesting post on here but I think this is one.

What actually caused the "housing recovery"...i.e. dead cat bounce. Was it QE1, was it low interest rates, was it peoples greed/stupidity or was it;s peoples unerring faith in the government propoganda ?

Id defo say that QE1 made the FTSE re-bound...I cashed in about 5200. Another bought of that and it will go through 6000 easily.

What will support it after that....nothing.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

+1

IMO falling rates caused the bounce.

+1

They certainly gave people who were struggling a life line. A short lived life-line though due to the lack of wage inflation and now the public sector cuts. Probably meant they didnt HAVE to sell and could hold on for a decent price. The people that bought into the recovery could be stung hard though.

+1

What caused the falling rates though?

Or to put it another way, what were the two stated aims of QE according to the BoE?

What caused the falling rates though?

Or to put it another way, what were the two stated aims of QE according to the BoE?

Fair point...I guess QE2 will be used to keep the rates low through 2011

These peopleshould be locked up for what they are doing.

Mugabee must be pi**ing himself laughing watching what's going on. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

What actually caused the "housing recovery"...i.e. dead cat bounce. Was it QE1, was it low interest rates, was it peoples greed/stupidity or was it;s peoples unerring faith in the government propoganda ?

Id defo say that QE1 made the FTSE re-bound...I cashed in about 5200. Another bought of that and it will go through 6000 easily.

record low irs and the rise of the idiot with cash shouting 'there's never been a better time to buy'.

the cash rich have been suckered in and the idiotically naive who thought they were buying at bottom(i know 3 cases of ftbs during this period) - all those 15% plus deposits give the banks a nice cushion for the next leg down - the real crash as we enter the real recession.

QE was purely an inside incentice for the unelected ruiling classes to protect themselves be it the bangsters or large corporate shareholders.

Fair point...I guess QE2 will be used to keep the rates low through 2011

These peopleshould be locked up for what they are doing.

Mugabee must be pi**ing himself laughing watching what's going on. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

But if QE2 increases inflation and inflation expectations then we could see some aggressive rate rises at a later date.

We are not the USA or Japan they can afford an inflation boost, intact the USA needs it to fight off deflation. Win win for them. It's a different story here.

I'm not sure anyone does know whether QE made any difference. Personally, I think the stamp duty holiday had more of an impact (and low base rates of course). Since then though, that has been scaled back to FTBs and SVRs

have been creeping up. I'm not sure this government could keep the ponzi going even if they wanted to.

But if QE2 increases inflation and inflation expectations then we could see some aggressive rate rises at a later date.

We are not the USA or Japan they can afford an inflation boost, intact the USA needs it to fight off deflation. Win win for them. It's a different story here.

The big issue with inflation is that the country has no way to geenrate wage inflation.

The UK is not a world power.

We, as a country, are a bit like a flash MEW'er....spend and borrow and pretend you are wealthy.

Doesn't matter, as even with a 20% deposit, a clean credit file and general liquidity, I can;t get a mortgage until I have 2 years audited accounts of my company (will be in 6 months). Even though my company account is 40k in the black. I had no idea about this and was quite shocked. As it happens I don;t want to buy until next year anyway.

If house prices keep falling, some of us may get a nasty shock if we come to want to buy one of these things. House price deflation is directly linked to scarcity of mortages. Double edged sword.

I think a lot of people on here might get this shock, cheaper house prices for all...if you can get a mortgage. Do you ever get the feeling the system is stacked against you.

"I can;t get a mortgage until I have 2 years audited"...this used to be 3 years...I'm surprised it's only 2.

I guess we are about to find out what impact quantitative easing will have on house prices when the next load is released in February isolated from other factors (drop in interest rates and Special Liquidity Scheme). We should also remember the historically low numbers of properties on the market at the time (Sep 2009 to Mar 2010) so this could have been a strong determinant. I would dearly love to know the answer to this question - could it mean that canny buyers will have to sit tight for another six months until the tide is back in their favour again. It annoys me when the buoyancy of the economy is said to be directly reflected in 'high street spending' and 'mortgage approvals' - at least, according to the BBC. Why isn't economy strength measured in turnover, net profits, exports, balance of payments, tax revenue etc?

QE will have the same nominal effect on house prices as on other physical assets, so in real terms it will not make much difference - except perhaps give you longer in your subsidised rental property

QE will have the same nominal effect on house prices as on other physical assets, so in real terms it will not make much difference - except perhaps give you longer in your subsidised rental property

Eventually it has to come to an end.....they are just delaying the inevitable....our leaders have no balls and no convictions...they arent really leaders, more self serving t**ts.

I'm opting for Nationwide down 10%...that's about the only figure that will get people selling up in fear.