House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
delighted

Liverpool House Prices

Prices are falling. Local paper Merseymart full of reuctions and sales. All estate agents suggesting'make an offer' prices shown are negotiable.

I have tracked prices and sales for 6 months no real movement in sales, reductions between 10 and 20% :)

As delighted said there are plenty of reductions in the local free paper. The houses I am looking at have had reductions of about 5-10%. (These houses were overpriced even at the 2004 peak so there is plenty of room to reduce). IMO this is not enough to shift them as they've been on the market for around a year already.

These are the advertised prices....so they will not be on nethouseprices as they ARE NOT SALES. The transaction volumes on nethouseprices are definately down on last year (L18, L17 and L16).

OK, gimme the L postcode (just first half is sufficient) and I can verify via nethouseprices if indeed you are correct about price drops of ... ahem ... 20%  (yea right)  B)

I've seen drops between 10k to 20k on normal 3 bed semi's and on a larger properties drops of upto 40k in the last 6 months, save your sarcasm apollo... you'll need it later when we are proven right!

Like this for instance 299k not so long back

[edit] now 1378 houses for sale using Aintree +3 miles search on Rightmove

^^ from a post I made 5 days ago, and now we have 1384 for sale. Even if we deduct the houses which you say are still selling (lolz) sure looks like we have more sellers than buyers.

I find it a little strange apollo that you try and force your opinions on everyone else, yet when someone else adds their 2p you just go into denial. However, if you really want I will contact the EA and post their reply on here... do you want that?

It's so obvious you have your own agenda when it comes to the housing market, as you seem to be a reasonably well educated bloke. It's unlikely you are stupid enough to believe that the market will go anywhere but down at this point in time...

Although I haven't posted alot I have lurked around for some time, I have to say your thoughts on how the housing market as is at present and the way you expect people to get into massive dept just to buy a house is beyond belief. You are no better than the estate agents saying "buy now before its too late!!" and potentially putting these peoples future at risk.

Before you use the "just another FTB hoping for a crash!" I have my own house, and will own it outright in 4 years. Obviously at this point in time I am looking at moving up the ladder, but I will not pay the inflated prices that you and others like yourself dictate.

I have seen prices come down, the media is reporting the market is in serious trouble and nothing you say or post can prove otherwise.

I didn't say you were stupid apollo, I said it was unlikely...

Feel free to read between the lines if you wish, but my only hope for the market is to bring prices down to a realistic level. So people who want to buy a house don't have to have an income of 50k+ or go into dept for 30+ years to get a place that has had its price artifically inflated by the greedy EA's and the Governments lack of control with the lenders.

Please read posts thoroughly and take a few minutes to reflect on the correct meaning.

So let's take L18 as a random example

All properties (resale only not new build) 293

SSTC + UO = 16

ratio = 5.5%

THAT'S PRETTY BAD!! so I am expecting unless there is a pick up .... prices will drop.

if you go towards city centre (L1) then the ratio is between 15-20% , so obviously a more buoyant market, but suggests it is slightly overprices still.

So I hope this explains the way I accept information, I've got to see it to believe it  ;)  Also the above info is verifiable.  Now if anyone turns to me and say that in L18 you have seen EA windows with price reductions, then I would say ... well I would expect that because of the poor volumes  :)

Hi Apollo.

Interesting calculations. I live in Liverpool, and have to say that if your calculations are correct then Liverpool is up the creek without a paddle.

L18 covers Calderstones and Allerton. 2 of THE most desirable places to live in Liverpool alongside Woolton and Gateacre in L25. If they are suffering house price reductions due to poor demand, well then what hope does the rest of the city have?

Interestingly, in the last crash, Liverpool escaped almost unscathed believe it or not! Perhaps it's payback time?

Interestingly, in the last crash, Liverpool escaped almost unscathed believe it or not! Perhaps it's payback time?

really? maybe thats why my folks won't entertain the idea of a crash now, which quite surprised me after i thought they'd lived thru one??

they have said before their prices never dropped but i just assumed they weren't property price obsessives, watching it daily like loony old tunes me :blink:

I think thats a valid point apollo, it appears sales in Liverpool have slowed to a trickle atm. They could well be buying elsewhere as Liverpool's City of Culture (for what its worth) really pushed the prices up all over the place to far more than you'd get to expect to pay in this city. You can buy property in Chester or over in the Wirral for not much more than the same property in the Pool. We maybe looking at a much bigger fall than other places percentage wise, should the market edge downwards.

A friend of mine bought at the last peak in West Derby. He was subsequently in negative equity for years, in fact the houses in his street didn't return to that value until 1999.

Also, my father bought a house in Calderstones in 1992. It was a forced sale from a lady moving to an OAP home. Asking was 99K and they offered 85K; they were the only people who had viewed. The house is in a very good area and is now probably worth 400K (that's if they could sell it).

Obviously this is anecdotal but I don't think Liverpool escaped the last bust completely unscathed.

By the way, Apollo, I know quite a few people who live in Liverpool because they actually like it here and these are people who could get jobs wherever they wanted.