Jul 34.8 37.0

Jun 36.7 36.8

May 35.7 37.6

Apr 34.9 39.3

Mar 35.3 34.3

Feb 35.1 45.3

Jan 45.9 46.0

http://www.forexfactory.com/calendar.php

Mortgage approvals leapt off a cliff in Feb, buggered about around the 34-36k mark for a few months and now starting to show a nice downard trend. Does anyone know the lowest it has been in the last 20 years?

Edit: Mods - please merge with guitarman's thread - Cheers!

Edited by FaFa!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I think we are house price happy - resigned to the madness.

All the data is coming out negative yet we are still not seeing a housing crash. I feel punch-drunk.

Leading indicator, my good man, leading indicator. I previously posted that unless we saw definitive moves down by the autumn, I would be buying. I see nothing here, or recently, to change my mind.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I was going to post it. Normally do but couldn't be arsed today!

All good though. :)

I think the Nationwide will make us all depressed this week. I was in my Nationwide last week and they had big signs up about their new charges for all sorts of things - methinks there is a company that needs money. Why I wondered - hmm, mortgages and savers deserting them perhaps.

In other words, I think they will go heck for leather to try and show a bounce in the housing market this week.

HOLA4412

Leading indicator, my good man, leading indicator. I previously posted that unless we saw definitive moves down by the autumn, I would be buying. I see nothing here, or recently, to change my mind.

The above does not make sense - you begin by saying that the figures are a leading indicator... presumably of a fall in HPs... but then you go on to say that you will be buying unless you see definitive moves down... which you ain't seeing.... so what are you saying...

Going to lie down now.

HOLA4413

I think the Nationwide will make us all depressed this week. I was in my Nationwide last week and they had big signs up about their new charges for all sorts of things - methinks there is a company that needs money. Why I wondered - hmm, mortgages and savers deserting them perhaps.

In other words, I think they will go heck for leather to try and show a bounce in the housing market this week.

I think we will see a modest decline in nationwide this week. Nothing spectacular like Halifax but a nice drop all the same. Land registry is also out on the same day (Thursday) which should begin showing some negatives soon, hopefully it will be a good day for us.

HOLA4414

I think we will see a modest decline in nationwide this week. Nothing spectacular like Halifax but a nice drop all the same. Land registry is also out on the same day (Thursday) which should begin showing some negatives soon, hopefully it will be a good day for us.

The same day!? This week! Will we sleep Wednesday night?

HOLA4415

The above does not make sense - you begin by saying that the figures are a leading indicator... presumably of a fall in HPs... but then you go on to say that you will be buying unless you see definitive moves down... which you ain't seeing.... so what are you saying...

Going to lie down now.

I am seeing definitive moves down - in fundamentals, indicators and current price:

Fundamentals:

1. Kerbs to HB

2. Lowering mortgage support

3. Public sector job losses

Indicators:

Mortgage approvals falling

Current price:

Both Halifax and Nationwide are quarter on quarter down (q on q smoothes out month on month fluctuations). Halifax has been q on q down since April.

All this is broadly speaking as expected.

GDP data coming out tomorrow should be interesting....

Edited by FaFa!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
BBA mortgage approvals at 18-month nadir

LONDON (SHARECAST) - There was more bad news for the UK housing market on Monday as the British Bankers’ Association’s measurement of mortgage approvals fell to an 18-month low in September.

The number of new mortgages approved by members of the British Bankers’ Association (BBA) in September was just 31,104, down from 31,781 in August and below market expectations of 31,600.

The September figure was down 26.0% on September of last year and well below the monthly average of 34,620 for new mortgage approvals over the last six months.

“Demand for new mortgages remains low despite more properties on the market and falling house prices,” observed BBA statistics director David Dooks.

The number of loans for house owners remortgaging eased to 23,820 in September from 23,981 in August. Other secured loans declined to 17,798 from 18,169 in August.

“Business borrowing continues to reflect weak demand combined with companies reducing gearing by repaying bank borrowing,” he added.

Net mortgage lending in value terms declined to £1.6bn from £2.5bn, well below the monthly average of £2.2bn for the previous six months.

Lovely :)

HOLA4419

You would have to be stark raving to buy property with large leverage currently. Every indicator is showing prices are falling; buying is clearly financial suicide for the majority of people. No wonder mortgage approvals are dropping.

The bubble is deflating; it will not be pretty. Especially from the media, who are usually the most leveraged and the biggest rampers. Expect plenty of whining. The question is how far and fast we it will go down.

It would be nice to see some coverage of this focused on the obvious long term advantage of having house prices that are more affordable. The idea that every rising house prices is always good needs to be firmly flushed.

Hopefully we can learn lessons and the mistakes of the last 13 years will not be repeated, we will get back to sustainable growth.

HOLA4420

You would have to be stark raving to buy property with large leverage currently. Every indicator is showing prices are falling; buying is clearly financial suicide for the majority of people. No wonder mortgage approvals are dropping.

The bubble is deflating; it will not be pretty. Especially from the media, who are usually the most leveraged and the biggest rampers. Expect plenty of whining. The question is how far and fast we it will go down.

It would be nice to see some coverage of this focused on the obvious long term advantage of having house prices that are more affordable. The idea that every rising house prices is always good needs to be firmly flushed.

Hopefully we can learn lessons and the mistakes of the last 13 years will not be repeated, we will get back to sustainable growth.

I thought the same at the end of the last crash, but here we are again :(

HOLA4421

Good post.

It needs to change, you look at Germany lower ownership percentage, cheaper property. Then look at their manufacturing base, someone posted a chart yesterday showing worldwide budget deficits. I was surprised to see Germany even better than China and they have no oil. Some radical change and complete change of direction needs to happen here.

Edited by neil324

HOLA4422

And then seven days later, the BoE makes the big choice as to whether to print more money this quarter.

HOLA4423

I think we are house price happy - resigned to the madness.

All the data is coming out negative yet we are still not seeing a housing crash. I feel punch-drunk.

I think the reason for this is that no one who needs to borrow/stretch themselves can buy with the way prices are.

When prices get to levels where people can buy the indexes will fall off a cliff...I'm hoping that's what we started to see with the halifax last month.

HOLA4424