Call Centre Apprentices!

Boom Boom

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

A level 2 apprenticeship in customer services? An advanced apprenticeship? Says it all really. What a joke.

Definitely Richyc..... seeing as FE colleges the length and breadth of England churn these out with no real training taking place...I am glad the Train to the Gain scheme has been axed it was a complete waste of time , but now FE college only have funding for apprenticeships so they will target 16-18 year olds and place them in a high pressure sales environments with the carrot being a qualification that stands for didly squat...if you were an employer in sales would an NVQ level 2 in customer service really make any difference to your decision???

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

£95 for a 45h week (5 x 11am-8pm) is £2.11p per hour. Poor b*ggers! :(

You guys don't know how good you have it. I recall that after graduation, in Italy, the natural route for those not lucky enough to be born into a family with a business was to have a so-called "unpaid internship" or "stage".

Nothing wrong with that, except the fact that you were actually working and not getting paid. I remember starting this way at GE as a Buyer. As an intern, I would sign contracts worth hundreds of thousands of €. Insane.

Still, this should be made illegal, or forced to meet the minimum wage

HOLA4411

You guys don't know how good you have it. I recall that after graduation, in Italy, the natural route for those not lucky enough to be born into a family with a business was to have a so-called "unpaid internship" or "stage".

Nothing wrong with that, except the fact that you were actually working and not getting paid. I remember starting this way at GE as a Buyer. As an intern, I would sign contracts worth hundreds of thousands of €. Insane.

Still, this should be made illegal, or forced to meet the minimum wage

Actually I think this currently the case if you want to get into advertising, newspapers or the bar. Basically you need a family house in London and parents who will support you for a year or so.

HOLA4412

Pay peanuts get monkeys. Being a sales lead call centre I guess it will be a pressure kettle of performance targets. Disregarding the environment it's a poor excuse to pay £2 an hour in any workplace, still it sets us nicely to take back the jobs offshored to India during the miracle boom. I would think this may become the breaking point for people willing to work for £ or for themselves/each other instead and then the £ really will be worth f***all to the bankers when they come to realise no one around will take their money to shine shoes.

How much of a house does this wage get you at the top end of the structured pay scale that is NMW?

HOLA4413

wow that really shows how bad things have got!

I worked in Direct Line, Glasgow in 1998, they just filled the place with students, especially during the summer months, and we all sold travel and pet insurance!!!!

Got about1 week formal training (if that) and then let loose, I mean you couldnt really do any wrong literally reading a script off the screen!!!!!!!!!:P

HOLA4414

wow that really shows how bad things have got!

I worked in Direct Line, Glasgow in 1998, they just filled the place with students, especially during the summer months, and we all sold travel and pet insurance!!!!

Got about1 week formal training (if that) and then let loose, I mean you couldnt really do any wrong literally reading a script off the screen!!!!!!!!!:P

yeah, but being able to read is the bar these days..although my daughters spelling is atroscious--atrosh---at---quite poor yet she managed her degree. My other daughter, who has no degree has no problem at all...but she cant speak two langauges.

HOLA4415

yeah, but being able to read is the bar these days..although my daughters spelling is atroscious--atrosh---at---quite poor yet she managed her degree. My other daughter, who has no degree has no problem at all...but she cant speak two langauges.

While I think I lost count, I noted at least 12 spelling mistakes or grammatical errors in the job advert. Atrocious.

Any advance ?

HOLA4416

I worked in call centres every summer between 1997-2000.

I got about half a day listening in to phone calls as my training and then was let loose talking to the public and taking orders for books and magazines.

I got paid about £5 an hour and you could buy a small house in the area for £70k.

Now these jobs pay minimum wage (or less as an apprentice) and a small house costs you £150k.

Life prospects for poor people really are shite now.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

£95 for a 45h week (5 x 11am-8pm) is £2.11p per hour. Poor b*ggers! :(

Welcome to global capitalism!

Remember in the 70/80's how we were told that we needed to be flexible and competitive in order to fix Britain?

This is where it got us.

Don't trust the lying b*stards again!

HOLA4419

agreed worked in a call centre in the mid nineties for a year.pay was circa £13k,2 up 2 down in ncie bit of Leicester,(there are some) was £45k.same in ok bit of town was £30k.

life is sh1t for the kids now.and they haven't even started paying off the boomers pension liabilities yet.

I was studying in Leicester at that time, we lived in Clarendon Park and our house was worth £70k, there is one, albeit slightly more done up, on the same road for sale for £179k now.

This presumably means rents are a lot higher too, we paid £32 a week each in 1999 for our house, a quick search shows rents are now nearly £80 a week 10 years on.

Archived