House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boom Boom

Workfare Bill: Work For Less Than £2.50 An Hour

A nation of greedy and small time shopkeepers.

You get for what you pay fo, i doubt that they'll get people to work, lets say you were forced to work in a shop for 2.50 i would give people more change:lol: and if asked i dont know how too do simple maths.

£2.50 an hour is £100 for 40 hours.

Minimum wage pays £200.66 after tax for 40 hours.

JSA + Housing benefit + council tax benefit is about £130 minimum, often more.

Transport costs of £20+ and your lucky to be £1 an hour better off on minimum wage rather than on benefits.

And that's if you can find anywhere taking on full time.

Surely it would make more sense to give people £2.50ph on top of their benefits if employed by the government. The long term unemployed would probably go for it too.

Transport costs of £20+ and your lucky to be £1 an hour better off on minimum wage rather than on benefits.

Surely it would make more sense to give people £2.50ph on top of their benefits if employed by the government. The long term unemployed would probably go for it too.

I'd probably time limit this rate for a few months (say three) - and there must be the promise of a permanent (above NMW) job at the end of it, if they pass this probationary period.. Companies that abuse the system get struck off...

A lot of long unemployed initially start working part-time, and speaking to employment advisors, its quite a lot for them from going from nothing to 40 hours a week. If they started off at 20 hours a week (under the universal credit system, they'll be able to keep something like 60% of their earnings without it effecting their benefit), they can then gradually built up their hours..

You get for what you pay fo, i doubt that they'll get people to work, lets say you were forced to work in a shop for 2.50 i would give people more change:lol: and if asked i dont know how too do simple maths.

Sadly the shopkeepers wouldn't allow it, I would guess that any extra change you give them on purpose they would have to give to the shop unless you specifically said you were giving a tip to the till assistant in which case they wouldn't stop you but likely the assistant would be in trouble for accepting it.

If the minimum wage is dropped to 2.50 or lower by the back door which is a very likely scenario already happening through 'training wage' type systems and apprenticeships then anyone on that wage will have a worse standard of living than your average Chinese worker.

Sadly the shopkeepers wouldn't allow it, I would guess that any extra change you give them on purpose they would have to give to the shop unless you specifically said you were giving a tip to the till assistant in which case they wouldn't stop you but likely the assistant would be in trouble for accepting it.

I think crash2006 was saying they would give the customer more change as a way of complaining about being on such a low wage.

A nation of greedy and small time shopkeepers.

A nation of unskilled losers and moaners. Learn something, get skills that are in demand. Of course its much easier not to bother and complain while someone else pays your share of the bills while thinking you are hard done by.

A nation of unskilled losers and moaners. Learn something, get skills that are in demand. Of course its much easier not to bother and complain while someone else pays your share of the bills while thinking you are hard done by.

Can't happen with this fiat money system.

What a joke. I can see some companies not taking on staff unless they are on this scheme or even worse sacking staff to get new cheaper labour.

The Tories just never change.

What a joke. I can see some companies not taking on staff unless they are on this scheme or even worse sacking staff to get new cheaper labour.

The Tories just never change.

Since you are so upset about people on poor wages, maybe you should start leaving a tip when you shop at your local supermarket? Or tell them to keep the change. No? I thought not.

I'm ok with the super market charging me more if the difference goes to the people who are out there working. I calculated for the major supermarkets that a doubling of the low end wages across the board would lead to a 5% increase in the bill for the customers. This by looking at their costs on their income statements.

I'd gladly pay £105 for the groceries instead of £100 for the same groceries. If it meant all the workers made £11 an hour instead of £5.50.

I'm not one who thinks it should come out of the corporations profits or something silly. It also needs to be instituted across the entire country equally so that all firms are on a level playing field.

Right now one firm tries to do the right thing and pay more, and they simply get undercut by the competitor and all the customers go to the place that is slightly cheaper.

what skills are in demand, apart from lying and cheating?

watch the video on ticker forum from CBS News, where they find that a room full of 99rs most have a degree, cant find work at all.

coming here soon.

watch the $200,000 a year "professionals" begging for a job....now realising that shelf stacking is all there is.

People like you think its all over....its just starting....and either the crooks and cheats get their just desserts soon, or we keep bailing them out and we all fail.

what then the qualified HR consultant, the Diploma'd van driver, the Masters Shelf stacker???

collapse of the economy means death on the streets....your degree will mean nothing.

Since you are so upset about people on poor wages, maybe you should start leaving a tip when you shop at your local supermarket? Or tell them to keep the change. No? I thought not.

these people buy the goods that keep the "skilled" in work.

no customers......guess what....no work for the skilled.

Didn't someone once say or write that the only way to compete with slaves is to become one?

We are already surrounded by more CCTV cameras than the Chinese and after 13 years of pretending to oppose the agenda of massively increasing the scope of the surveillance state the ConDemned want to go much further (for our own good, of course). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322071/Government-track-email-website-visit-Big-Brother-WILL-snoop.html

Didn't someone once say or write that the only way to compete with slaves is to become one?

We are already surrounded by more CCTV cameras than the Chinese and after 13 years of pretending to oppose the agenda of massively increasing the scope of the surveillance state the ConDemned want to go much further (for our own good, of course). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322071/Government-track-email-website-visit-Big-Brother-WILL-snoop.html

Low wages is a very slippery slope that should be avoided at all costs.My old Economics lecturer used to say: Look at the countries that have the lowest wages.When they need to dig a big hole they give a few thousand people shovels rather than bring in a JCB.

I'm ok with the super market charging me more if the difference goes to the people who are out there working. I calculated for the major supermarkets that a doubling of the low end wages across the board would lead to a 5% increase in the bill for the customers. This by looking at their costs on their income statements.

I'd gladly pay £105 for the groceries instead of £100 for the same groceries. If it meant all the workers made £11 an hour instead of £5.50.

I'm not one who thinks it should come out of the corporations profits or something silly. It also needs to be instituted across the entire country equally so that all firms are on a level playing field.

Right now one firm tries to do the right thing and pay more, and they simply get undercut by the competitor and all the customers go to the place that is slightly cheaper.

This is how inflation starts!

11quid and hour will become the new 5.93 if the everywhere implements this wage, there needs to be competition between employers, like there was before the NMW.

Low wages is a very slippery slope that should be avoided at all costs.My old Economics lecturer used to say: Look at the countries that have the lowest wages.When they need to dig a big hole they give a few thousand people shovels rather than bring in a JCB.

Your economic lecturer (and by this I assume you mean GCSE teacher) was thicker than pig muck.

At £100 a week youd get all that anyway. The JSA would become income support, but be paid at the same rate.

Your economic lecturer (and by this I assume you mean GCSE teacher) was thicker than pig muck.

Youre too kind to lecturers.

Most ive known wouldnt even stand up to scrunity if asked to teach at GCSE level.

Lower wages are not so bad if the profits made on the back of it by the big corporates is divided between the staff and not paid to the shareholders. ;)