House Price Crash Forum
timebandit

The Great Housing Rip Off

Heads up.

With a shortage of social housing, and the private rented market booming, reporter John Sweeney investigates the so-called 'rogue landlords' - the housing barons accused of receiving large amounts of housing benefit while using the small print in their tenancy agreements to exploit the poor and vulnerable.

Councils say they don't have the right laws to combat them, but with the new housing minister ruling out any changes in the law, Panorama examines a problem that is not going to go away.

My link

Edited by timebandit

Heads up.

My link

Thanks.

PVR set. Panorama, BBC 1, Monday, 20:30.

Edit: Talking about Housing Benefit, it looks like Nick Clegg gets it. Have you watched him on Andrew Marr this morning? If not, it should be online already, take a look there.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Someone needs to set up a massive database of Renters. Everyone pays £1.00/month into a fighting fund.

On the same agreed day, everyone reduces rent by 10%.

It would cause mayhem and the scum could do 'bob diddly' about it. B)

There's a lot of collective power out there.

A little more detail.

My link

Excellent.

I do hope Simon Hughes watches it. He is trying to block the Housing Benefits reforms. http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=153410&st=0&p=2760241entry2760241

Let's just hope that the show explains to the people that a gradual reduction of Housing Benefits nationally will just bring rent levels gradually down. And not make people "homeless"! :rolleyes:

Maybe the councils willstart doing compulsory purchases on BTL portfolios.

Now, that would be hilarious..... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

They just had to liberalise planning, and allow people to have their homes built. It costs less than £1,000/sq.meter.

No mention of supply / demand, so no mention of rents being brought down to meet the new capped level.

I thought it was rubbish. Far to simplistic and picked a bunch of morons who couldn't even budget for the tiny difference between their handout and the rent.

yeah yeah yeah, say the Public servants, its all terrible, we are going to sort it out.

8ollox....they are paying the rent...just tell the fracking scumlord to fix it, and withold until they do.

they dont need a ton of paperwork, they need a man with a notebook, a pen and a video cam.

its not rocket science, but as usual, the public sector just in incapable of acting... One inspector could deal with 10 of these things a day...thats 50 a week.

but no, they need 25 documented complaints, warning letters, commitees and all the rest of the hiding behind the system. we Need them to ACT...ON THE DAY...

these criminal landlords understand one thing....MONEY....just stop paying them and watch them squeal. then PROSECUTE...video evidence is perfectly adequate.

DEAL WITH IT YOU *****ERS!

Agreed, slum landlords = bad .

But housing associations where people get paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, who then cannot balance books to create housing when they have been given free land are perhaps worse.

Links:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7795905/Housing-association-chief-on-400000-a-year.html

http://society.guardian.co.uk/salarysurvey/table/0,,1034758,00.html

No mention of supply / demand, so no mention of rents being brought down to meet the new capped level.

I thought it was rubbish. Far to simplistic and picked a bunch of morons who couldn't even budget for the tiny difference between their handout and the rent.

I think it was good in so much as they uncovered the moral hazard/peverse incentive with regards to the disrepair and the council stepping in to maintain a property well below cost at 10% of rent and then letting the landlord continue to take 90% of the rent for not doing what they were being paid to do. Why would a slumlord bother to repair anything when they can wait a bit and the worst the council will do is come in and start improving their properties for a teeny slice of the rent? Win/win for parasitic, slum landlords.

Maybe the councils willstart doing compulsory purchases on BTL portfolios.

Now, that would be hilarious..... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you ask me they should do.

All you need is a simple cost benefit yield algorithm taking into account the levels of housing benefit, cost of house, size of house, without having such a policy, the housing benefit change looks disastrous.

Family homes yielding housing benefit of 50% more if they are converted into HMOs.

People are making a profit at current prices. A 50% increase in houseprices could be possible in the Private-social sector, if we live in tenements.

yeah yeah yeah, say the Public servants, its all terrible, we are going to sort it out.

8ollox....they are paying the rent...just tell the fracking scumlord to fix it, and withold until they do.

they dont need a ton of paperwork, they need a man with a notebook, a pen and a video cam.

its not rocket science, but as usual, the public sector just in incapable of acting... One inspector could deal with 10 of these things a day...thats 50 a week.

but no, they need 25 documented complaints, warning letters, commitees and all the rest of the hiding behind the system. we Need them to ACT...ON THE DAY...

these criminal landlords understand one thing....MONEY....just stop paying them and watch them squeal. then PROSECUTE...video evidence is perfectly adequate.

DEAL WITH IT YOU *****ERS!

+1, I would love to know how many housing inspectors/Environmental health/support staff/IT systems and all their budgets are for those areas! One guy with a clip board and "No Mr landlord you aren't getting paid for any properties" pads until these listed problems are sorted out. Would solve the issue in a single week!

Especially with landlords with lots of houses in a single area. Councils could leverage up the repair time/cost to the landlord.

Like you need a structural engineer to put a meter on the wall that flashed red if the place is damp....going from the footage most people with eyes or even a partially sighted person with a nose could tell you that, those homes where unfit for living.

+2

If I were a plumber I'd fix that mothers' boiler tomorrow.

Scum Landlord.

Scum paid by me and every other tax payer... what is wrong with this country?

+1, I would love to know how many housing inspectors/Environmental health/support staff/IT systems and all their budgets are for those areas! One guy with a clip board and "No Mr landlord you aren't getting paid for any properties" pads until these listed problems are sorted out. Would solve the issue in a single week!

Especially with landlords with lots of houses in a single area. Councils could leverage up the repair time/cost to the landlord.

Like you need a structural engineer to put a meter on the wall that flashed red if the place is damp....going from the footage most people with eyes or even a partially sighted person with a nose could tell you that, those homes where unfit for living.

Edited by ngn

I think it was good in so much as they uncovered the moral hazard/peverse incentive with regards to the disrepair and the council stepping in to maintain a property well below cost at 10% of rent and then letting the landlord continue to take 90% of the rent for not doing what they were being paid to do. Why would a slumlord bother to repair anything when they can wait a bit and the worst the council will do is come in and start improving their properties for a teeny slice of the rent? Win/win for parasitic, slum landlords.

This completely echos my sentiments and more. This actually gives the green light for slumlords to purposely buy up uninhabitable places with the express purpose to have the council manage and fix them for the slumlord.

If ever there was an advertisement for getting more council run social housing built (only to be rented. No RTB), this was it.

Frankly, the private sector can't be relied upon, or even trusted, to provide social housing. Simples.

These scum will profit from the housing benefit cuts, and if you don't believe, just watch.

HB tenant: 'The roof's leaking/boiler's broken down'

LL: OK, I can fix that for you but will have to put your rent up. Can you afford for me to do that?'

Just got in from work, so will watch it later. However reading the posts here, my understanding council spending taxpayers money to add value to a scum landlord properties.

We really are f***ed

Agreed, slum landlords = bad .

But housing associations where people get paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, who then cannot balance books to create housing when they have been given free land are perhaps worse.

Links:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7795905/Housing-association-chief-on-400000-a-year.html

That is a very important point. "Housing Associations" are landlords. They have a vested interest - high rents. And recently they have been lobbying against the government proposed gradual reduction of Housing Benefits, or Local Housing Allowance.

Yet, the BBC always talks to them as if they were "experts", or worse, as if they were "on the side of the poor". :rolleyes: This is undermining political support for the HB reforms.

snip

Frankly, the private sector can't be relied upon, or even trusted, to provide social housing. Simples.

to me, the reason was the same one as why the bankers can get away with Fraud Scott Free....no-one in the public sector gives a damn and they hide behind a beaurocracy of shame.

all it would take is one inspector with a clipboard and a vidcam to tell the landlord three simple to understand facts.

1. No fixy, no renty.

2. You harrassy, we nicky.

3. You play bally, we all happy.

(...)

Unsupervised, yes, I agree. But the public sector would be even worse, if also unsupervised.

What we need is standards, regulation, inspections, etc.

The public sector would be much more bureaucratic, much more expensive, and even less value for money. And "Housing Associations" are also landlords, and also bureaucratic and expensive.

In post #15 above, Soton post these data and news:

And we need more and better supply of housing too. The bottle neck is planning restriction.

What we need is standards, regulation, inspections, etc.

Correct.

If there's anything like damp, no heating, windows broken then rent should be withheld by the council until made good.

It's not difficult.

Tame Estates advertise in my local free paper. Will scan in ad when I get a chance.

"DSS tenants may rent any property

move in today from only £59 down*

Unemployed disabled & retired welcome

Pets ok. Long term lets available.

* conditions apply applicants not in receipt of full LHA may have to pay more

Their website

http://www.tameestates.co.uk/

Domain Default page

This is default page for tameestates.co.uk domain. Now this page is generated by Plesk for you. Please upload your own index.html file.

;-/

Don't know if it was working yesterday

Edited by SarahBell