House Price Crash Forum
Democorruptcy

What Would Your Comprehensive Spending Review Include?

There are too many people taking too much money out of the system and they don’t seem to have been hit at all. Most of the talk is of cutting benefits. There’s been a massive amount of looting going on in the UK and it looks to me as if the looters have been given permission to keep their bags of swag.

The list of looting is endless. 382 BBC staff earning more than £100k. NHS budget guaranteed but doctor’s pay used to be £66k in 2005 and now some earn £380k. The primary school teacher on £240k. One CEO earned £93m last year. Civil servants being given enhanced payouts and pensions to retire. Bankers! It used to be something to be a millionaire but now it has little value as people are having millions thrown at them like confetti. Does it seem right that a primary head teacher’s salary is almost £1m in four years? A doctor £1m in three years?

Meanwhile normal people on normal salaries are going to be squeezed as living costs get higher. The inequality gap is widening by the day. We need to take back some of the loot and reduce living costs for people in the real world. The largest expense is a mortgage or rent – that needs to come down. House prices must fall or very few people will be able to buy them as the elites pour more of their vast wealth into property and price everyone else out.

All the ConDems policies are going to do is maintain the inflated salaries at the expense of job cuts at the bottom and loss of frontline services. The people who profited the most under New Labour have come out unscathed. Demand will drop because normal people will have ven less disposable income and this will result in the elites cutting more jobs to try maintain their profits, salaries and pensions.

Here’s a few thoughts for my spending review.

1. Capital Gains Tax set at a minimum of 40% but higher tax rate payers have it set to their tax rate to close the loophole where they are diverting income into capital gains.

2. Transferring assets to someone else incurs capital gains tax on it – e.g if an MP transfers shares to his wife.

3. If a person owns a property in the UK they are liable for full UK tax on all their worldwide income

4. If a substantial share of a businesse’s profit is from the UK, it must be based in the UK for tax purposes.

5. When shareholders vote on renumeration the more shares they own the less voting power they have. Bosses and institutional shareholders are voting through massive pay rises even though private shareholders are against them.

6. Salaries of £1m or over taxed at 70%

7. Ireland have had Public Sector pay cuts on a scale 30k+ -5% to 200k -15%. Our cuts should be on wage rises since 1999 – the larger the increase (inc bonuses) the larger the cut. Pension payments reclaimed in proportion

8. Tax relief on pension payments above £50k since 1999 should be reclaimed from everyone.

9. Multiple homes owners to pay extra income tax and council tax on a sliding scale. For 2 properties an extra 2% tax and double council tax on both properties, 3 properties an extra 3% tax and triple council tax on all three properties, etc.

10. A person can only claim benefits in the UK if they and both their parents were born in the UK and they have all paid more than a set amount in tax. The rate of benefit is correlated to the rate of contributions.

What would be in your Comprehensive Spending Review?

The primary school teacher on £240k

Somebody hasn't done their research... The guy didn't earn 240k a year for primary school teaching. He held down a couple of jobs, contracted, and was paid for some of that other work after only several years in a lump sum finally paid in one year.

If your research is so poor, I don't know if I'm gonna bother reading the rest of your post...

However, the NHS one of the biggest vehicles for laundering treasury funds.

Edited by Maihem

Somebody hasn't done their research... The guy didn't earn 240k a year for primary school teaching. He held down a couple of jobs, contracted, and was paid for some of that other work after only several years in a lump sum finally paid in one year.

If your research is so poor, I don't know if I'm gonna bother reading the rest of your post...

However, the NHS one of the biggest vehicles for laundering treasury funds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jul/13/headteacher-salary-more-than-prime-minister

A primary school headteacher in London earned a salary of £231,400 last year, prompting an "outraged" union to back a proposal for teachers' pay to be capped at the level of the prime minister.

Mark Elms received a remuneration package totalling £276,523 for last year, including employers' pension contributions, for his leadership of Tidewell primary school in south-east London, according to GMB's analysis of Lewisham council accounts.

No mention in the article of the teacher having more than one job. Have you an alternate link?

About half of that Primary Head's salary was for some inner city initiative.

But.... shouldn't a job around £100k be very demanding? Equally so some inner city thing earning the same? If someone has time to do both aren't they therefore overpaid?

Here's another one

The GMB analysis of head teachers' pay also showed that Jacqueline Valin, the head of a secondary school in Wandsworth, South London, received a pay rise of £20,594 in 2009/10, taking her salary to £198,406, and her total remuneration package to £226,381.

Southfields Community College has been credited with achieving great success with youngsters speaking dozens of different languages but the GMB said her 11.54 per cent salary increase in a year could not be justified.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1294169/The-276-000-primary-head-Staggering-salary-revealed-days-pledge-cap-head-teachers-pay.html

Can you find proof to backup your above claims? I suspect not.

Personally I'd ban the useless quangos, like

1) The Bassoon Council

2) The Euphonium Trust

I can see an argument for keeping the "The Piccolos for Unfortunate Children Society"

as they fit in your lunch box and don't have to disturb people on the bus! :blink:

Cost effective and morally justifiable executions.

Child murderers for example.

Black market regulation and taxation.

Heroin, crack, cannabis would all be sold by the state and used to raise tax revenue.

Benefits withdrawn at 50p in the £1 to encourage work and reduce the benefit bill.

Can you find proof to backup your above claims? I suspect not.

He will be able to back it up if he can be bothered. He is correct and the term "salary" used to describe his total income was misleading. "Salaries" would be better but still not perfect as salary implies a steady long term job and not a payment for a shorter term endeavour.

I'd stick with the fairness theme. I think the upper limit on total benefits payable is good as are some of the other measures. However, on top of that, I'd do something serious about bailed out banks so as to make it clear fairness works both ways. One obvious thing would be to accept that the government will probably need to take a loss on RBS and force a cap on wages onto it. If it really can't run its investment banking arm with, say, a 100K upper limit on total compensation per person then surely it can sell it to someone else that isn't living off our cash. If it can't sell then it rather proves the point that its staff are overpaid.