House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bobbins

Why Have A Pizza Delivered?

I keep reading (and hearing) how well Dominos are doing in this age of austerity. Apparently people are trading down from a restaurant night out to a £15 pizza.

WTF? I'd take a good supermarket pizza (and do) over Dominos (et al) any day. Even if you push the boat out and go for a fresh Pizza Express type you are quids in by several pounds. My personal favouroite, a La Botega Goodlfella Pepperoni (always 2 for £4).

What's wrong with people? Can't they peel a bit of celophane off, and put one in the oven at gas mark 7 for 15 mins. Almost easier than picking up the 'phone.

I'm amazed when I hear delivered pizzas are the age of austerity. I think the opposite.

I keep reading (and hearing) how well Dominos are doing in this age of austerity. Apparently people are trading down from a restaurant night out to a £15 pizza.

WTF? I'd take a good supermarket pizza (and do) over Dominos (et al) any day. Even if you push the boat out and go for a fresh Pizza Express type you are quids in by several pounds. My personal favouroite, a La Botega Goodlfella Pepperoni (always 2 for £4).

What's wrong with people? Can't they peel a bit of celophane off, and put one in the oven at gas mark 7 for 15 mins. Almost easier than picking up the 'phone.

I'm amazed when I hear delivered pizzas are the age of austerity. I think the opposite.

You'd be surprised.... since in the supermarket you can find things like grated cheese, chopped veg etc... a lot of people are lazy and or it is a spur of the moment thing.

Also seriously a lot of people can't help themselves seriously. And or have no ovens..... you should have a look at my 'oven' which is two camping stoves over a cast iron box!

Why buy a pizza at all? Flour, water, squashed tomatoes, lumps of mozarella, fresh basil, seasoning. Costs less than the packaging.

It's all about the base - anyone know a good source? The supermarket ones taste like stale biscuit, so we tried making them. Disaster.

Is easy to add cheese/meat/veg to a supermarket pizza and make it enjoyable. Doesn't matter what you do to them though, they dont compare.

Agreed. I don't understand this thread at all. Supermarket pizzas are a sorry, pale, comparison to even the dodgiest looking takeaway.

Why buy a pizza at all? Flour, water, squashed tomatoes, lumps of mozarella, fresh basil, seasoning. Costs less than the packaging.

It's all about the base - anyone know a good source? The supermarket ones taste like stale biscuit, so we tried making them. Disaster.

I make bases in our bread machine. Requires planning ahead a little, but they come out perfectly. I like mine crispy so par bake it before putting toppings on it.

You can also use flat breads - greek flat breads work well.

a long time since i've had supermarket pizza...

from what i remember the base was like cardboard , must be something to with with cooking the bread , freezing it and then cooking it again

probably is better in those refridgerated non frozen ones but still , they aren't as fresh as a freshly made one

I have never ordered a pizza. Just stick one in the oven, perhaps add your own cheese, mushrooms etc.

---

We know the founders of Dominoes through a friend. They are multi, multimillionaires now. They recently held a free party for over 500 guests.

you can get pick up pizzas at dominos in australia for $5.95 (around 3.50 pounds)

i'd never pay $25 for a pizza from dominos , thats high end italian restaurant prices not greasy mediocre ingredients takeaway joint fodder

Agreed 100%. Domonos is rubbish - nasty chav food.

The better supermarket offerings are far better, and homemade pizza better still.

I also get basic pizzas and add my own toppings. You can make a seriously tasty pizza for a decent price.

As for Dominos ? Saw a thing on TV last week about fast food and calorie count. Domino Meat feast pizza or similar IIRC.

Just half of it = 1600 calories....:o

£15 is too much to pay for cheese on toast.

My kids like supermarket pizzas as much as those from the take-away, personally I don't like them but then I don't like much take-awy food. I might sometimes have a kebab if I am on the way back from the pub, as some stand-up comedian once said, that big doner rotating in the window acts as a lighthouse for drunks.

The mark-up on these take-away pizzas must be huge, they do not appear to be any better in quality that a supermarket pizza costing a quarter of the price and given that Dominos buy in bulk they must pay far less per unit than the supermarket price.

The mark-up on these take-away pizzas must be huge, they do not appear to be any better in quality that a supermarket pizza costing a quarter of the price and given that Dominos buy in bulk they must pay far less per unit than the supermarket price.

Always thought pizza takeaways were a bit of a scam business, compared with say a chinese, indian, or even just fish and chips. There generally much more expensive, and lot less effort goes into making them.

Pizza bases are easy to make, flour, water, olive oil and yeast.

Pizza bases are easy to make, flour, water, olive oil and yeast.

and salt of course , you don't want it tasting like a cake

In Asda they make pizzas fresh and put any toppings you want on it, just like a takeaway, except you have to cook it yourself, all for around £3.50 for a 14 inch.

I've tried most types of supermarket pizza, and none come anywhere near as close to the ones you can get from Domino's and Pizza Hut.

It's important to remember that, when you pick up the phone to call one of them, you're not exactly expecting something as beautiful and well presented as a homemade fresh pizza; the diet's out of the window at this point and you want something indulgent and bad for you, bit like comparing the insanely tasty mass produced stuff from Burger King, with the far healthier and fresher homemade burger. Sadly they just don't compare when you have a hankering for some fast food. :(

I kicked my twice monthly pizza habit though, not really because they are bad for you in itself, but rather that once I've had toast for breakfast and a baguette for lunch, if I eat pizza in the evening I've basically lived on bread for that day, which can't be good for you.

Actually there is one supermarket pizza that comes close to delivered ones, it's the Chicago Town Takeaway range.

36885FBD-77F9-48B4-B3A1-7B7B53842CB1_Spec2_v1_m56577569833798478.jpg

It's closer to real pizza to throw away the Domino's "pizza" and eat the box.

It depends on what you like as 'real' pizza. I went to Rome a couple of years ago, ate in local places aswell as touristy places. Had pizza constantly in the hope of finding a really good one. I was sadly disappointed, their 'real' authentic pizza was all crap.

Chippy chips

Christ knows why not, don't they use the same maris pipers you can buy in the local supermarket?

One assumes they all bulk buy pre-cut chips with some additional flavourings or specific frying oil, as most chippy chips look identical in shape and size

Christ knows why not, don't they use the same maris pipers you can buy in the local supermarket?

One assumes they all bulk buy pre-cut chips with some additional flavourings or specific frying oil, as most chippy chips look identical in shape and size

Nope, frozen chips kill the profit margins of chippy chips, massively though raw potatoes trade this cost for labour.

There is nothing special and or outstanding out chippy chips, there are multiple factors though:

The oil stays consistently hot, a 60 litre oil pan is not going to cool as much when you sling 5 kilos of chips in it. My arm is covered with oil burn scars from this.

Many chippies dual fry their chips, chip boxes only keep chips warm for 10 minutes tops and then they steam themselves to death or dehyrate after a while. So many places part fry their chips scoop them into a secondary chip box when a customer comes in put a couple portions of the part fried into the pan and they come up ultra crisp.

Also many chippies use bad oil, this actually adds a carbony taste to it, inspect the chips closely if they are covered with black speckles they don't change the oil regularly enough. Some horrible places use this oil in their curries so you get black spots in the curry too. This is highly carcinogenic! All the places I've worked in used to burn the oil off by having the oil just below the flash point.

You won't find me buying a take away pizza again after a group of us got food poisoning once, pizza, the way the toppings are handled and stored are a prime way to get a funny tummy, and no the heat from cooking does not seem to kill the bacteria.....

You can buy pizza base mix in the supermarkets about 50p all you have to do is add water mix and roll out thinly, put on a baking tray (a pizza doesn't have to be round) squeeze on some tomato puree from a tube (cost about 30p) add sliced tomato some crushed garlic, few herbs, dribble of olive oil and some grated cheese, you can add ham, sliced mushrooms or anything else you fancy...pop in a hot oven for 20 mins to half and hour till pizza crust is brown....costs very little feeds four to six and tastes good. ;)