House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving For a Space Ship

Ebay To Broker Waste & Used Electronic Devices

Ebay 'Instantsale' website

Article Link

I had a bit of TFH moment., thinking this may be to reclaim & re-use the rare metal elements in e-waste, as China has restricted some supply :unsure:

Looks like the co's give you peanuts for your stuff, like many of these online 'send us your stuff ' websites.

eBay has just launched a new initiative that will let people trade in their old electronic devices ranging from old mobile phones, laptops, pdas , digital cameras, mp3 players, GPS systems and tablet pcs for instant cash. However if your electronic devices are not worth anything then eBay will kindly send you a pre-paid envelope for you to recycle the device at no cost to you.

eBay’s InstantSale website will offer your electronic devices to other companies in the materials industry of buying the valuable components, metals and it could even be sent for refurbishing.

It’s a simple process all you need to do is enter the details of your electronic device and you will then get an instant cash offer and the funds can be deposited into your PayPal account.

However if you’re looking to keep your old devices for it to be a collector’s item then I would suggest doing a bit of research before departing with it as years down the line you would be damned if you see it for sale for more than you got for it today.

The good thing about this is if you have very old or broken devices and no offers to purchase it then eBay InstantSale will offer to pay for the shipping to the buyer or the recycling company with no cost to you at all and eBay also promises to wipe all the personal data on your device.

There are many recycling companies out there that offer you cash for your old electronics however eBay InstantSale is good to get an instant quote and if you get nothing for it then it will cost you nothing to recycle your old goods and give something back to the planet.

Ebay 'Instantsale' website

Article Link

I had a bit of TFH moment., thinking this may be to reclaim & re-use the rare metal elements in e-waste, as China has restricted some supply :unsure:

Looks like the co's give you peanuts for your stuff, like many of these online 'send us your stuff ' websites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet

I think most hard drives contain so little neo it would hardly be worth the effort.

Also, rare earth magnets are tightly controlled in terms of composition. If you change the composition you change the magnetic properties and thus reduce fitness for purpose. Rare earth magnets are sintered as well, its not just a matter of pulling the stuff from obsolete hard drives, sticking it in a melting pot and getting out a big lump of what you need, its much more complicated than that.

There are products that use a hell of a lot of neo. I guess they could be used on a short term basis to alleviate supply issues while mines in the west got up to speed. You could make a hell of a lot of tiny hard drive head magnets out of one permanent MRI magnet, my guess would be greater than 1 million.