House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Accountability In Teaching

It is not like he was struggling as a junior teacher unable to impress his superiors - this ios a person that got repeated public sector promotions.

This guy was a head of a department on, what, 40-45k with a superb pension package?

and then they realised he was incompetent

http://www.telegraph...nce-by-GTC.html

First secondary schoolteacher to be banned for life for incompetence by GTC

For fifteen years this incompetent haunted schools rooms, why did it take so long to finger him?

2 reasons:

NUT

labour government

It is not like he was struggling as a junior teacher unable to impress his superiors - this ios a person that got repeated public sector promotions.

This guy was a head of a department on, what, 40-45k with a superb pension package?

I have a good friend who is a teacher. She is not late with marking, but that's because she works huge numbers of hours of unpaid overtime. If you work your nominal hours in teaching, then you can't teach. There are not enough people employed to teach... They would do better to cut salaries so they can employ more people.

Even if the new staff were not the best, the decreased load on the higher performers would balance it out.

I have a good friend who is a teacher. She is not late with marking, but that's because she works huge numbers of hours of unpaid overtime. If you work your nominal hours in teaching, then you can't teach. There are not enough people employed to teach... They would do better to cut salaries so they can employ more people.

Even if the new staff were not the best, the decreased load on the higher performers would balance it out.

most 'professional' jobs require additional unpaid time, often not even thought about, keeping up to date with latest skills, methods, journals, etc. preparing for professional exams etc.

Mmmmmmmmm

I remember (on more than one occasion) having to change my book with someone else in the class while we did a group marking. Was that teacher being clever by eating into our time and not theirs?

That would be peer assessment then...

It's a excellent technique that kids gain a lot from (if done properly).

Just to add my own experience -

There are incompetant teachers, but not many. They tend to give up themselves, or else they are encouraged to leave.

I know of several during my 7 years of teaching, including the guy whose job I took...

I lot of pressure is put on a teacher long before anything goes to the GTC.

I would echo that last comment on the site where someone pointed out that some of the best teachers might be bl**dy useless at organising themselves whereas some of the worst might well be efficient little paper pushers.

I remember my best teacher was Mr Bryson, our english literature teacher. He was an absoute inspiration to us. However, it's also true to say that he couldn't organise a p*ss-up in a brewery.

Also, I note this was a City-Technology-College. These are usually situated in areas of urban deprivation and have loads of money chucked at them. The kids will tend to be right little buggers to teach and so, consequently, this kind of school will need very organised teachers who will be prepared to basically lead the kids by the nose though their qualifications. This guy sounds like he maybe wasn't suited to that kind of shcool more than anything else.

I'd want to see his previous employers' opinions on him before passing final judgement. Although, that's rather moot now since he's not a teacher anymore

I would echo that last comment on the site where someone pointed out that some of the best teachers might be bl**dy useless at organising themselves whereas some of the worst might well be efficient little paper pushers.

I remember my best teacher was Mr Bryson, our english literature teacher. He was an absoute inspiration to us. However, it's also true to say that he couldn't organise a p*ss-up in a brewery.

Also, I note this was a City-Technology-College. These are usually situated in areas of urban deprivation and have loads of money chucked at them. The kids will tend to be right little buggers to teach and so, consequently, this kind of school will need very organised teachers who will be prepared to basically lead the kids by the nose though their qualifications. This guy sounds like he maybe wasn't suited to that kind of shcool more than anything else.

I'd want to see his previous employers' opinions on him before passing final judgement. Although, that's rather moot now since he's not a teacher anymore

Isn't that how crap teachers are never identified though and just move around the system? I mean they are near impossible to get rid of. If I had a right pile of crap the first thing that I would do is write him a glowing reference so that he becomes somebody else's problem. No way I would write about what a pile of useless crap he is thus ensuring that I am stuck with him. I have seen similar done with promotions too, always to pass the book and get rid of the dud.

Please explain how getting children to mark each other's work is an excellent technique.

I'd have thought its pretty obvious :/

They see other ways of doing things / other peoples Ideas

They learn to work with others to solve problems

They gain a better knowledge of how work is marked (like it or not, essential for exams / controlled assessment)

It reinforces learning that has already taken place

Promotes open discussion of the subject being studied

Builds interpersonal skills

I could go on...

As usual a large number of people bashing a profession they know very little about. There are useless practitioners in every profession. I taught for a number of years and would never go.back, crazy hours crap pay. I won't bite anymore than this, I'm in the pub waiting for a few mates.

Si1 nice to see your continued misinformed ramblings about teaching and the public sector continue. You have had it explained so many times, are you a Tory mole/troll on this forum?

So you joined for the holiday's then, fair enough, at least you are honest about it I suppose.

Congrats on your employment, let's hope you stay the course and are genuinely good at teaching...

Private or public can I ask?

yup, just doing it for the holidays and only having to work until 2:45pm each day :P

Public sector, a Technology college no less.

Si1 nice to see your continued misinformed ramblings about teaching and the public sector continue. You have had it explained so many times, are you a Tory mole/troll on this forum?

I'm related to several you freak.

I will add it is great that this guy has been fired . People like this give the majority of hard working teachers a bad name.

who said anything about hard working, the article does not suggest that this chap didn't work hard? I think the point was about competence. A point often overlooked by public sector apologisers.

Guest UK Debt Slave

As usual a large number of people bashing a profession they know very little about. There are useless practitioners in every profession. I taught for a number of years and would never go.back, crazy hours crap pay. I won't bite anymore than this, I'm in the pub waiting for a few mates.

"As usual a large number of people bashing a profession they know very little about"

State education is a shambles.

A* grades for borderline illiterates

Chris Woodhead exposed the failures of state education and it destroyed his career.

At least this brave teacher is telling the truth. She lost her job too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2l-MA-8Dk

Good for her

Also, anyone who thinks teaching is 8-4 is crazy. If any teachers are doing this they are either very very efficient or are not doing their job properly .

...or they teach infants and juniors.

Isn't that how crap teachers are never identified though and just move around the system? I mean they are near impossible to get rid of. If I had a right pile of crap the first thing that I would do is write him a glowing reference so that he becomes somebody else's problem. No way I would write about what a pile of useless crap he is thus ensuring that I am stuck with him. I have seen similar done with promotions too, always to pass the book and get rid of the dud.

am sure this is exactly how this guy ended up as a department head

Hang on, if you've just started, how can you say there aren't many incompetent teachers? :unsure:

Common sense and Mathematics would indicate your assertion doesn't stand up to great er scrutiny, one only has to look at failure rates across other professions to realise something is very wrong.

Wasn't there a very recent Panorama programme which showed that only 14 teachers in 40 years had been struck off for poor teaching?

Here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s8kpv/Panorama_Can_I_Sack_Teacher/

Watch and learn. :P

I wouldn't say after 7 years I had just started.

So, because you have seen a documentary (that I have also seen), you're now an expert.

I need to watch and learn about my own profession? unbelievable :o

Edit - You know full well I mean that there are relatively few incompetant teachers.

Freak, nice one, back in the playground are we? I am related to several doctors doesn't mean I have a clue about their jobs.

you started it, what a strange person

I wouldn't say after 7 years I had just started.

So, because you have seen a documentary (that I have also seen), you're now an expert.

I need to watch and learn about my own profession? unbelievable :o

to be honest, I think half the point is comparing personnel-practices evident in teaching (and other public sector fields) that are so utterly different from generic effective practices in other fields of work