House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Would It Be Possible To Live Like A "hermit?"

Is it possible to keep yourself cooped up indefinitely, if you wanted to? If you have everything brought to you (ordered off the web, etc..), then I could imagine its possible...

Is it possible to keep yourself cooped up indefinitely, if you wanted to? If you have everything brought to you (ordered off the web, etc..), then I could imagine its possible...

I do sometimes think this site has its fair share of hermits

I do sometimes think this site has its fair share of hermits

early 12c., from O.Fr. (h)eremite, from L.L. ermita, from Gk. eremites, "person of the desert"

So who is posting from the desert that Daft Boy knows of?

early 12c., from O.Fr. (h)eremite, from L.L. ermita, from Gk. eremites, "person of the desert"

So who is posting from the desert that Daft Boy knows of?

Off the top of my head the following members all post from the sahara :

Sand, sandman, Sand Man, Sanddancer, Sandgroper, Sandymiss, sandra , Sandwich, et al

Absolute doddle if you live a Milk & More delivery area!

Really impressed with what they have set-up; having got home after a few drinks after work one evening to discover no milk. Signed up before 9PM, and had 2 pints on my doorstep at 6AM!

We have gotten too spoilt, too used to getting what we want when we want...not good for the character.

You could live like a hermit but only if you didn't like people.......most of us do. ;)

We have gotten too spoilt, too used to getting what we want when we want...not good for the character.

You could live like a hermit but only if you didn't like people.......most of us do. ;)

I would literally drive me mental I if I was couped up all day, every day for say six months...would make an interesting experiment...(not that Big Brother cobblers though)..Wasn't there a Japanese person who was locked in an apartment, and they could only use the internet to order things for them to survive?

You've obviously never heard of Nasubi....

He went for an interview for a TV show and was effectively kidnapped, he was striped naked and left to rot in a room until he won $10,000 of stuff from entering write in competitions. They left him there for 4 months until he won enough to 'escape' at which they rekidnapped him and made him win an even bigger amount of stuff to escape. 15 months later he was quite obviously going completely crazy and they again kidnapped him and took him to Korea for 2 weeks.

You've obviously never heard of Nasubi....

He went for an interview for a TV show and was effectively kidnapped, he was striped naked and left to rot in a room until he won $10,000 of stuff from entering write in competitions. They left him there for 4 months until he won enough to 'escape' at which they rekidnapped him and made him win an even bigger amount of stuff to escape. 15 months later he was quite obviously going completely crazy and they again kidnapped him and took him to Korea for 2 weeks.

Ah, that was probably what I was thinking of...

I would literally drive me mental I if I was couped up all day, every day for say six months..would make an interesting experiment...(not that Big Brother cobblers though)..Wasn't there a Japanese person who was locked in an apartment, and they could only use the internet to order things for them to survive?

Well, there have been prisoners locked up in "solitary confinement" for years, with no books, newspapers, internet, anything, just their thoughts. It does generally have a very detrimental effect and normally leads to insanity.

I'm pretty reclusive, I interact with my children and my girlfriend, but that's about all, but then I'm used to spending long periods working on my own, when I lived and worked in Russia I would often go for weeks without having any worthwhile conversation with anybody and I didn't mind that...

could full-time homeworking lead to some type of mental illness in certain ppl?..You do interact with ppl over the phone, skype & email, but its not the same as working with ppl face-to-face.. I personally don't think I could do it full-time..although perhaps part-time I could..

Absolute doddle if you live a Milk & More delivery area!

Really impressed with what they have set-up; having got home after a few drinks after work one evening to discover no milk. Signed up before 9PM, and had 2 pints on my doorstep at 6AM!

That is ridiculously impressive. A company that deserves to succeed.

It is not only possible, but it is easy to live as a hermit. It is easy to go 5 years without speaking a word to another human. I moved to the countryside in a country where I cannot speak the language and never see anyone. What you gain is peace of mind. Far from being mad, you achieve a certain clarity of thought. The problem is that many people cannot tolerate isolation. They each consider themselves normal and so others must be mad. The brain slows down so when you do talk to someone, it seems like a hyper-fast information flow.

It all boils down to whether the senses are stimulated enough. If you live in the same 4 walls, your visual stimulus is going to be very repetetive, likewise with no others around to converse, your auditory stimulus will be limited so mental illness is almost certainly ensured _provided_ the person doesnt hold onto any hope of escaping from the situation.

If they hold onto a hope that can be enough to keep them going but its very easy to play mind games with people to create the trigger that can start making someone question themselves.

A company I worked in was like this.... the work load was pretty heavy so nobody had any time to talk. Everybody was put into little grey cloth backed wooden partition cubicle type things.

Heh he made morale drop like a stone and caused a 100% staff turn over in 6 months.

Could we have some clarity on that statement Winkle please.

Are you saying most (on) here don't like people and could easily live like a hermit or that you do like people?

Personally I detest people who don't or won't think for themselves. That cuts out about 90% of the population I'm afraid.

I am saying that most people could not live like a hermit because most people like people (or need people) or both... I like people I find them fascinating, interesting and captivating. ;)

I don't know if it's because I grew up in a small village and didn't much care for the other kids but I'm always pretty happy doing my own thing. That's not to say I don't like seeing my friends, going to the pub and talking ******** in a group - I can just take it or leave it. I don't feel lonely when I'm by myself.

I'm pretty reclusive, I interact with my children and my girlfriend, but that's about all

That sounds a bit like: I'm a vegetarian apart from the bacon sandwiches I have for breakfast each day! ;)

I don't know if it's because I grew up in a small village and didn't much care for the other kids but I'm always pretty happy doing my own thing. That's not to say I don't like seeing my friends, going to the pub and talking ******** in a group - I can just take it or leave it. I don't feel lonely when I'm by myself.

Ditto.

I find too much company worse than too little. If I had to chose between never being on my own or always being on my own I would go for the latter.