House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Realistbear

Travel 69% More Expensive During Half Term

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/69pc-more-expensive-to-travel-at-half-term-tele-72499dd08705.html?x=0

.69pc more expensive to travel at half term
Harry Wallop, 8:28, Saturday 23 October 2010
Families who want to travel abroad during the half term break are having to pay almost 70 per cent more om average than they would the week after, according to fresh research that highlights how parents are being stung by travel companies.
An overseas package holiday next week, when the great majority of schools break up for half term, can be as much as 135 per cent higher than those the following week, a survey by Santander Cards, a credit card company, found.
The average premium was 69 per cent, it found, after examining the prices of package holidays to places that offer some hope of far warmer weather than the current cold spell in Britain.
A week for a family staying at a four-star hotel in Lanzarote, flying out of London will cost just over £4,000, compared with the prices falling dramatically to £1,710 the following week.

When my kids were little I used to take them out of school and travel during term time. :P

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/69pc-more-expensive-to-travel-at-half-term-tele-72499dd08705.html?x=0

.69pc more expensive to travel at half term
A week for a family staying at a four-star hotel in Lanzarote, flying out of London will cost just over £4,000, compared with the prices falling dramatically to £1,710 the following week.

When my kids were little I used to take them out of school and travel during term time. :P

Really don't know what the story here is. Children = big cost. Would the average post-war family of four expect to travel anywhere foreign even once a year, much less flyingto a sunny Med island and staying in comfort during half-term? Why should the average 21st century family of four expect the same?

Edit to add: Knowing children, they probably don't even notice the difference. It's the grownups.

"A week in a four-star hotel for a family of four ..."

... as if a week in a four-star hotel was 'normal'! I always thought four-star hotels were for senior business travelers on VIP expenses. That'll be one reason for the huge difference between weekend deals and weekday ripoff prices!

Who is this family of four? I don't recollect my family staying in a B&B for a weekend, let alone a four-star for a week! Does that say something about inflated expectations?

Since when did jetting off to foreign climbs at half term become the norm?

Just possibly ...

... since the credit bubble devalued money to the point where those with no fear of debt just took everything they might dream of ...

[edit to add] I don't think most tourists go to Lanzarote to climb. Even mainstream 'climbers' tend to prefer solid, reliable terrain to crumbling volcanic rock :huh:

'fing is, most hotels etc are packed out at half term. how else are they gonig to ration capacity if not by price? have lotteries or summat?

i don't see this as, you know, a national crisis or anything but to the extent that it was then i guess we could experiment with different regions of the country having HT in different weeks?

Families who want to travel abroad during the half term break are having to pay almost 70 per cent more om average

Rich people who demand luxuries have to pay money for them. OMG. It's not news. It's always been the same.

like housing, if you want to partake in the scam, then you end up paying more.

If families, as a whole, decided...NO, we arent doing this any more, then...bingo.....ding ding ding.....its a knockout!

but, people gotta keep the right face on....thats what a consumer economy demands.

Who is this family of four? I don't recollect my family staying in a B&B for a weekend, let alone a four-star for a week! Does that say something about inflated expectations?

Well, a market was created by makers of aeroplanes and mayors of small fishing villages in Spain to attract the custom of those who traditionally spent a week in Margate looking out of the windows at the rain. It wasn't the punters whe dreamt it all up.

You will also find that a four-star hotel in a tourist resort bears little relationship to a four-star hotel in a city or other business area.

Incidentally, my own kids have holidayed in various exotic hotels in exotic countries but their favourite break ever was when I took them camping for the weekend about 15 miles away from where we live.

"A week in a four-star hotel for a family of four ..."

... as if a week in a four-star hotel was 'normal'! I always thought four-star hotels were for senior business travelers on VIP expenses. That'll be one reason for the huge difference between weekend deals and weekday ripoff prices!

One of my fondest memories.

When my sister and I were kids in the mid late 70's, my mum and stepdad took us to Blackpool for a long weekend in the car with the intention of getting a B&B whilst we were there, as we'd done a few times before. However, on this occasion the B&B's were all full and we ended up sleeping in the car. It was an old Ford Cortina Estate so my sister and were able to sleep lying down with the back seats folded down, while mum and stepdad slept sat in the front seats. It was like an adventure of sorts.

I thought I'd just share that for the purpose of perspective.

One of my fondest memories.

When my sister and I were kids in the mid late 70's, my mum and stepdad took us to Blackpool for a long weekend in the car with the intention of getting a B&B whilst we were there, as we'd done a few times before. However, on this occasion the B&B's were all full and we ended up sleeping in the car. It was an old Ford Cortina Estate so my sister and were able to sleep lying down with the back seats folded down, while mum and stepdad slept sat in the front seats. It was like an adventure of sorts.

I thought I'd just share that for the purpose of perspective.

Ahh yes the childhood family holiday. in the 1970's ours was an epic trip from Northampton to Alassio in Northern Italy, in dad's company Rover 2000TC, a 2/3 day drive that involved crossing the alps (usually the Mont Blanc tunnel). Fantastic!

Adding nothing to the thread (which is slightly pointless), just reminiscing!!

Ahh yes the childhood family holiday. in the 1970's ours was an epic trip from Northampton to Alassio in Northern Italy, in dad's company Rover 2000TC, a 2/3 day drive that involved crossing the alps (usually the Mont Blanc tunnel). Fantastic!

Adding nothing to the thread (which is slightly pointless), just reminiscing!!

It was Butlins Clacton for us....marvelous...even saw some wartime music hall stars, flanegan and Allen, the Ipcress file on new release, and carry on cleo.

the beaver club was great too.

It was Butlins Clacton for us....marvelous...even saw some wartime music hall stars, flanegan and Allen, the Ipcress file on new release, and carry on cleo.

Tell us more about the beaver club please.

Aah yes, the likes of Mike and Bernie Winters (who were very good live) and Jimmy Clitheroe at the end of the pier in Gt. Yarmouth or Cleethorpes

Tell us more about the beaver club please.

sorry, you have to have a badge.

When I was little, holidays weren't on the agenda. The closest we got to it were day trips by... coach as we didn't have a car. My first family holiday was a week in Fishguard when I was 18, weeks before I went to university. You'd be surprised by what year that was.

So I too am surprised by the half term jetaway phenomenon (sp?) and its probably why what is being termed as austerity seems quite normal to me.

It was 1997

Caravan in North Wales for us, hopping around the rocks in Anglesey and playing cricket and football on the caravan site with other kids.

Jumpers for goalposts, obviously.

The parents have got to spend all those extra child benefits, tax credits etc on something. The state giveth, and the private sector taketh away.

Bernie Winters, wasn't he that guy who used to run around in a pair of orange tights pretending to be an osctrich ?

Caravan in North Wales for us, hopping around the rocks in Anglesey and playing cricket and football on the caravan site with other kids.

Jumpers for goalposts, obviously.

Caravan? Luxury! Best we had was a borrowed tent. And it leaked.

holey Tent? Luxury! Best we had was a park bench and were given a hat when it rained

When I say "caravan", obviously what I meant was a hollowed out old car with a tarpaulin on top. Well, not so much tarpaulin as plastic bag from Kwik Save.

But we were happy!